Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why Hankins would fill bigger need (for less) than Suh...

March 20, 2018 08:49AM
Why Johnathan Hankins would fill bigger need (for less) than Ndamukong Suh
Cameron DaSilva

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

In the past week, two stud defensive linemen became available in free agency. Ndamukong Suh and Johnathan Hankins were both released by the Miami Dolphins and Indianapolis Colts, respectively, allowing them to hit the open market and sign elsewhere.

For Suh, it was a matter of money. He was set to count $26.1 million against the cap in 2018, which was the highest of any non-quarterback. In Hankins’ case, the Colts didn’t view him as a fit in their new 4-3 defense, for whatever reason.

Their losses could potentially be the Los Angeles Rams’ gain – and a big gain, at that. While Suh is obviously the more recognizable name with the longer list of accolades, but both players would look fantastic in a Rams uniform. And as it turns out, Hankins would actually be the better value and fit in Wade Phillips’ defense.

That’s not a knock on Suh’s game. He’s one of the most dominant players in the NFL and would make the Rams immensely better. However, he’ll also be more expensive and doesn’t fill a huge need for Los Angeles.

Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers are currently penciled in as the starting defensive ends. That leaves a hole at nose tackle, which the Rams were unable to fill last season with a variety of players.

If Suh were to land in Los Angeles, he probably wouldn’t slot between Brockers and Donald as the nose tackle. Sure, he could play there and would have some success, but he doesn’t have the bulk to hold up at that spot every down for 16 games.

Hankins, on the other hand, would.

With the Colts, that’s exactly the role he played. At 325 pounds, Hankins is built to play nose tackle, especially in a scheme like Phillips’. He’s shown the ability be a two-gap player, whereas Suh hasn’t. Suh has primarily been a 3-technique defensive tackle in a 4-3 front, lining up over the guard’s outside shoulder.

In the Rams’ defense, he’d likely kick outside and line up over the tackle like Donald does as a defensive end. Again, it’s not an ideal fit, but it would certainly be his best position in a 3-4 defense.

There would be no question or uncertainty with Hankins’ position with the Rams. Line him up over the center and let him work. He’s an outstanding run-stopper up front, which is exactly what the Rams need.

Take a look at this play he makes against the Titans, getting good penetration by cutting across the face of the guard to stop DeMarco Murray in the backfield.

In short-yardage situations, he’s incredibly valuable. He beats the guard to his spot, making a huge stop short of the first-down line.

And he’s athletic enough to fight through multiple blocks, too, as seen in the clip below. He sheds the center before working through the guard to make the tackle at the line of scrimmage.

Again, there’s no denying Suh is the better player. However, Hankins is the better value for the Rams. he’s six years younger (25), fills a pressing need at nose tackle and will cost less than what the Rams would have to pay Suh.

While the exact salaries each player is seeking remain unclear, it’s likely that Suh would cost at least $3-4 million more per year and likely wouldn’t stick around for more than two or three years. Hankins is someone the Rams can sign to a five-year deal and lock in at nose tackle for the foreseeable future.

That would allow them to spread the money over several years, rather than piling it all into one to three seasons for Suh.

Either way, the Rams can’t go wrong. If they really do want an impactful defensive lineman, both players will greatly improve the team in that area. It’s just that Hankins will come cheaper, is younger and fills a bigger need.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Why Hankins would fill bigger need (for less) than Suh...

Rams43614March 20, 2018 08:49AM

Thanks for posting 43, i agree

Speedball89240March 20, 2018 08:52AM

My issue with Hankins is sometimes I question his effort

Blue and Gold178March 20, 2018 03:17PM

I won't complain with either of them...

Rampage2K-202March 20, 2018 08:57AM

Re: and I’m not going to pretend I know enough about

Speed_Kills162March 20, 2018 03:09PM

Is Hankins scheduled for a visit?

ferragamo79270March 20, 2018 09:22AM

This guy is both right and wrong, kind of funny actually

Blue and Gold208March 20, 2018 02:43PM

Re: "Almost" exclusively

laram249March 20, 2018 03:06PM

Re: "Almost" exclusively

Blue and Gold178March 20, 2018 03:15PM

Re: no way...

spagsbacker210March 20, 2018 02:59PM

Re: Why Hankins would fill bigger need (for less) than Suh...

k3366March 20, 2018 03:05PM