Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Key to the Rams draft? FA signings.

February 17, 2018 08:30AM
RockRam
Don't want to open a can of worms; but regardless how other teams may see it, Snead drafts BPA according to need, especially in the early rounds.

So for the Rams, who have needs just like all other NFL teams, the Rams will approach the draft intending to fill those needs. But since FA comes first, then the early picks, especially, will depend on who they pick up in FA.

Assuming that the keep Joyner either by Tag or new long term deal, and assuming TruJ is a goner, and assuming Kayvon Webster is a goner (his Achilles is a career killer), and assuming they keep Robey Coleman, then the Rams need at least one and probably 2 starter quality CBs. My hunch is they'll go after Talib because he fits Wade's D. If they pick up Talib or maybe even Butler (I just am not sure that he's a press man Ccool smiley, it'll make their 1st round pick a bit more flexible because Hill sure seemed to show he's ready to be a CB2.

That won't be the only FA acquisition. I think we'll see something at OLB and ILB. But that, too, depends on what they do with Barron and Quinn.

In the draft, assuming they sign a CB1 vet, that doesn't mean they won't go CB. But it opens the board up for them to go a number of different ways. They could go LT or DT (NT, really). I'd love to see them in the position to bypass CB and should Vea or Payne be there, grab one and have an incredibly dominant and deep front. But, there's some awfully good LTs who could be there as well at 23. If some LT is there that they covet, you can't just bypass him; Whitworth is probably in his last year. Get an LT and use him as back-up #1 at both Tackle positions.

In the end, while the D needs to be given good players, this is going to be an offense oriented team. And the keys to offense (after the Qcool smiley are LT and Center. You can go a long way with "good enough" CBs if you have a really good QB pressuring front 7.

I largely agree with your takes, Rock. As usual.

You nailed the Joyner, TruJo, NRC, and Webster assessments.

I’m even more inclined to think that Quinn and Barron will be traded/released than are you, it seems. Perhaps 75% likely?

I foresee liberal 2nd tier FA acquisitions predraft, maybe 5-6, depending on Watkins. They will attempt to fill needs via FA so that they can go BPA in their draft.

CB
OLB (maybe even a couple)
ILB
NT
WR (only if Watkins walks)

Mind you, these are not gonna be top tier expensive acquisitions. More like the Woods, Webster, Sully, Barwin, and NRC variety of last year. Starter quality in this system, but not cap busters.

These moves would clear the deck for going virtually BPA throughout the draft without having their hands tied. Including possible trade downs.

Compared to the challenges and accomplishments of last offseason, this offseason looks like a piece of cake. Lol.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Key to the Rams draft? FA signings.

RockRam577February 17, 2018 04:28AM

Re: Key to the Rams draft? FA signings.

Rams43203February 17, 2018 08:30AM

I'm not so sure about Barron & Quinn....

SunTzu_vs_Camus199February 18, 2018 05:45AM

Re: I'm not so sure about Barron & Quinn....

Rams43201February 18, 2018 07:02AM

Wade has been around for a while

zn160February 18, 2018 07:28AM

agreed, zn...we'll see how it plays out

SunTzu_vs_Camus125February 19, 2018 07:34AM