Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Peter Giunta (DC) Martz Gaffe

December 16, 2017 03:08PM
Now I loved Mike Martz, but he blew it twice with defensive coordinators, first by not keeping John Bunting in the role of co-defensive coordinator and basically firing Bunting and bringing in his good friend Mike Haluchak making Giunta the defensive coordinator. Now it was Giunta's scheme, but Bunting go the players to play and buy into the scheme. Giunta was not a leader, Bunting had been a leader as a player. Anyway the defense was the reason for a horrendous season and Giunta was fired after the season.

What transpired afterwards might have doomed Martz before he ever got going, you see, Martz number one choice for Defensive Coordinator was Cardinals DC Larry Marmie, but the Cardinals denied permission (Thank God) and Martz hired Lovie Smith who was the LB Coach for the Buccaneers. Smith was outstanding in his role with the Rams, which led him to become Head Coach of the Chicago Bears. Fast Forward to 2004 where Martz gets his man Marmie, who was not unemployed and the Ram defense was doomed along with Martz.

The division between Jay Zgymunt & Martz was over Marmie as Zygmunt wanted to hire Dick Jauron and had him come in for an interview only to be told by Martz, he already offered the job to Larry Marmie. Now I could not stand Jay Zygmunt, but Martz affection to a man that gave him a shot to be an OC at the collegiate level ended up being his own undoing..
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

'00 season ended with oh-oh

L.A.Rams391December 16, 2017 06:19AM

I never got that upset with Az.

Ramgator144December 16, 2017 02:37PM

That 2000 Bucs game

NewMexicoRam142December 16, 2017 02:59PM

Re: Peter Giunta (DC) Martz Gaffe

den-the-coach194December 16, 2017 03:08PM