Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jared Goff working to build chemistry with new Rams receivers

August 23, 2017 06:52PM

By Rich Hammond, rhammond@scng.com

THOUSAND OAKS >> Sammy Watkins nearly pulled in a touchdown pass last weekend. He probably got held by a cornerback. Maybe the timing was just off a tick. It didn’t matter to quarterback Jared Goff.

“I told him on the sideline that I’m going to keep throwing to him,” Goff said.

That’s important to the Rams. Not only is Watkins expected to be a field-stretching No. 1 receiver, but he’s a new arrival with little experience catching passes from Goff. So, Watkins already has something in common with most of the receivers likely to contribute in the Rams’ Sept. 10 season opener.

Tavon Austin remains out of practice with a hamstring injury, which makes it increasingly likely that the Rams’ starting lineup could include Watkins, Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp at receiver. None of them has played a regular-season snap with Goff. Given the general weakness of the Rams’ receiving corps in 2016, that overhaul should be a net positive, but right now it’s requiring a lot of work in practice.

“It’s definitely reps,” Watkins said. “I think the more reps you get with (Goff), the more he can trust you and the more comfortable he is with throwing the ball to you and the more you get open, and that’s the best thing ever.

Read Complete Article
[www.dailynews.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Practice Report: Goff, McVay Excited for What’s Ahead

RamBill474August 23, 2017 06:49PM

RamBill201August 23, 2017 06:52PM

Goff hopes for a two-minute drill against the Chargers to complete the preseason

RamBill174August 23, 2017 07:04PM