Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Martz claims he was misquoted on Jared Goff, Sean McVay/PFT

August 22, 2017 12:13PM
Mike Martz claims he was misquoted on Jared Goff, Sean McVay

Posted by Michael David Smith

Former Rams coach Mike Martz disputes quotes attributed to him criticizing current Rams coach Sean McVay and quarterback Jared Goff in an upcoming book.

In Thomas George’s new book, Blitzed: Why NFL Teams Gamble on Starting Rookie Quarterbacks, Martz is quoted as saying that Goff “couldn’t have gone to a worse place” than the Rams, where he struggled as a rookie last year and will now be coached by McVay, whom Martz described derisively as “a buddy for Jared.”

Martz appeared on ESPN LA 710 today and said that while he did point out that McVay, as the NFL’s youngest coach, is only a little older than Goff, he didn’t say the other negative things attributed to him about the McVay-Goff relationship.

“I would never say something like that,” Martz said. “[The quote] was kind of embellished. It was a very short interview, and I think what I told [George] was there’s only a couple years’ difference between them, and they probably brought him in because of his ability to communicate. With [Goff], you want somebody more his age, I guess. But all of that other garbage, I would never say something like that.”

Read Complete Article
[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Schefter: Martz Way Off Base About Sean McVay

RamBill529August 22, 2017 12:03PM

yeah, just watched NFL Live.

Rampage2K-226August 22, 2017 12:08PM

Martz claims he was misquoted on Jared Goff, Sean McVay/PFT

RamBill289August 22, 2017 12:13PM

A little older?

The_Bad_Guy209August 22, 2017 12:23PM

Schefter: Martz Has to Own His McVay Comments –Video