Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gonzalez Rams Notes: Thursday's Practice Cancelled

June 14, 2017 09:39PM
Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

[www.espn.com]

Some highlights from the Rams' minicamp today: Tavon Austin, still recovering from wrist surgery, wants to continue to return punts but doesn't care how he is used as a receiver. "I just want the ball in my hands." ... Greg Robinson is basically taking scout-team reps at right tackle, but Sean McVay said he still has a role. ... Wade Phillips: "I think our secondary is stronger than people think." ... Paul Pierce was here. ... The Rams cancelled their final minicamp practice on Thursday, mainly as a reward to the players. That is it until training camp. McVay expects all his players healthy by then.

Rams announce that they have canceled their minicamp practice for Thursday. They also announced their training camp dates. Rookies report July 26, veterans on July 28, first full practice July 29.

The Rams hosted Enzo Amore on Tuesday and Paul Pierce on Wednesday (photos taken by the Rams).

Rams COO Kevin Demoff was named 2017-18 chairman for the United Way of Greater Los Angeles. President and CEO Elise Buik, pictured on the right, called the Rams' involvement "a game changer for Los Angeles." Demoff: "Seeing the great work Elise and her team do here in Los Angeles, our question was, 'How can we do more?' 'How can we get more involved?'"

Former No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson has switched from left to right tackle, but Jamon Brown has been taking first-team reps at RT and I have barely seen Robinson even take second-team reps. Rams coach Sean McVay said Robinson still has a role and they're still evaluating that position. "We'll continue to help him develop and move forward."

Rams DT Aaron Donald continued to work out on his own today and didn't participate in team drills. Wade Phillips said all he cares about is that he's there in the fall. "He's an elite player," Phillips said of Donald. "Besides his skills, he's got a great attitude. He's kind of a quiet guy, but he learns quickly. He knows what to do and how to do it, and he proves it out on the field. I can't say enough good things about him."

Rams offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur, on getting Todd Gurley going again: "I think just as a whole, offensively, we want to have a strong marriage with our running game and our passing game so that a defense can't just tee off on a guy. The idea is to have a balanced attack and keep a defense guessing."

The Rams still have a handful of guys who have been unable to practice fully, including EJ Gaines, Tavon Austin, Lance Dunbar, Mark Barron, Robert Quinn and Bradley Marquez. Also Aaron Donald, who skipped OTAs amid contract negotiations. But Sean McVay expects everyone fully healthy by training camp.

Rams WR Tavon Austin, recovering from surgery throughout the offseason program, doesn't really know how he injured his wrist. He stressed that he would love to continue returning punts but that he is happy in whichever role they have for him. "At the end of the day, it'll all play itself out," Austin said. "If I'm in, I'm in. If I'm not, I'm not. That's how it goes. I definitely can't take away nothing that these guys have been doing, these last OTAs and minicamp. They've been ballin'."
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Gonzalez Rams Notes: Thursday's Practice Cancelled

RamBill1025June 14, 2017 09:39PM

Sean McVay Minicamp Press Conference: 6/14

RamBill300June 15, 2017 04:09AM

Re: OC Matt LaFluer says it all for me......Epic Fisher/Boras FAIL!

oldschoolramfan397June 15, 2017 06:23AM

David Deacon336June 15, 2017 06:32AM

oldschoolramfan292June 15, 2017 06:36AM

Wade Phillips Minicamp Press Conference: 6/14 –Video

RamBill357June 15, 2017 11:27AM

Rams OC Matt LaFleur Minicamp Press Conference: 6/14

RamBill268June 15, 2017 11:38AM

Rams WR Tavon Austin Minicamp Press Conference: 6/14

RamBill218June 15, 2017 01:24PM

Re: Unless Bum is selling wolf cookies...

laram241June 15, 2017 02:05PM

Re: Unless Bum is selling wolf cookies...

stlramz213June 15, 2017 07:44PM

Re: Gonzalez Rams Notes: Thursday's Practice Cancelled

IowaRam265June 15, 2017 08:01AM

Any way to get transcripts of these pressers?

Rams43222June 15, 2017 11:41AM

Re: Any way to get transcripts of these pressers?

RamBill454June 15, 2017 11:48AM

Can't thank you enough for that, RamBill...

Rams43214June 15, 2017 12:31PM

I'm pretty sure I don't have to watch anymore press confrences

IowaRam221June 15, 2017 01:30PM