Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Two terms used today that make my skin crawl...

May 13, 2017 01:46PM
"Accuracy".. in regard to QB's obviously. And "Gadget Player".

Accuracy... it's just too wide-sweeping as used today, IMHO. Lost it's meaning... today it simply equates to 'completions'. What is wrong with that? Remember Kurt Warner? He didn't simply complete passes he hit receivers so deadly accurately that 'adjustment' on the part of the receivers was a non-factor. Some non-Ram QB's in that category as well but this is a Ram's board. thumbs up smiley The GSOT receivers, more often than not, had no pause, or transition, in 'catching' and "YAC". THAT was accuracy. The way the term is used today I think of more as 'in the ball park'... NOT a bad thing, but very different than 'accurate'.

"Gadget Player"... what the hell? HOW did this term become symbolic of a 'bad thing'? Today it's used in a manner that equates to "Flea-Flicker". Say HUH? The times I've seen that term used with Austin since he's been a Ram numbers like the stars. And always to denote... "LIMITED, WASTE OF TIME, FLEA-FLICKER". Well... not making a case for Austin, per se, by using him as an example.. he may be limited... but being 'gadget' I simply cannot accept as a diss on a player. The GSOT for example was replete with "GADGET" players... as they would be called today, (not then)... difference is: Martz knew how to use them.... they didn't catch 'flea-flicker' passes... they caught designed to perfection move the chains football plays. Perhaps 'different'.. but every bit as effective.

So that's my rant for today. A weak one, I know... but I wanted to type on my keyboard and that was the only thing that came to mind. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Two terms used today that make my skin crawl...

JamesJM533May 13, 2017 01:46PM