Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams add athletic receiver Josh Reynolds, 4 other prospects on final day of NFL draft

April 29, 2017 09:35PM
Rams add athletic receiver Josh Reynolds, 4 other prospects on final day of NFL draft

By RICH HAMMOND

[www.ocregister.com]

PUBLISHED: April 29, 2017 at 10:37 am | UPDATED: April 29, 2017 at 10:11 pm

THOUSAND OAKS – The Rams’ receivers, a cover-your-eyes group a few days ago, could be something to behold if this week’s draft picks perform well.

The offseason makeover continued Saturday, when the Rams selected receiver Josh Reynolds from Texas A&M during the middle of the fourth round.

The Rams concluded the draft with fourth-round linebacker Samson Ebukam (Eastern Washington), sixth-round defensive lineman Tanzel Smart (Tulane), sixth-round fullback Sam Rogers and seventh-round defensive lineman Ejuan Price (Pitt).

“I don’t think you can ever go into one draft and say you addressed all your needs,” Snead said. “Overall, we definitely had some targeted positions.
Somewhat surprisingly, the Rams did not draft an offensive lineman for a second consecutive season – even though they struggled in the run game and in pass protection last season — but they now can sign undrafted free agents.

Snead indicated that new Rams offensive-line coach Aaron Kromer was satisfied with the talent level of his existing group of linemen.

“They were fresh in Coach Kromer’s mind,” Snead said. “There were a lot of guys in our group that he wanted to work with, and felt like they might be better than some of the rookies in this draft class. That’s just the way it goes.”

Saturday’s five new players, plus Friday’s picks – tight end Gerald Everett, receiver Cooper Kupp and safety John Johnson – will be on the field at Cal Lutheran for a mid-May rookie mini-camp, then will start to compete with veterans on May 23 in offseason work. That’s when it’s time to watch the receivers.

Kenny Britt and Brian Quick, the Rams’ top two receivers last season, left via free agency, but the Rams didn’t fret because they already knew an underwhelming group of 2016 receivers needed an overhaul.

“I think the theme is, you want to find playmakers who can create with the ball,” McVay said. “When you add Gerald to the mix, these three guys we added on the perimeter, all of these guys have great ball skills, and that’s what we’re looking for.”

Robert Woods signed a five-year, $34 million contract with the Rams last month, but that still left the Rams only with Woods and Tavon Austin, plus the untested group of Pharoh Cooper, Nelson Spruce, Bradley Marquez and Mike Thomas.

Those six receivers totaled only 1,302 yards in 2016, and none of the presumed top-three options – Woods, Austin and Cooper – stands taller than 6-foot. So the Rams literally went big in the draft.

Reynolds, Saturday’s fourth-round addition, is a 6-3 deep-ball threat who is considered somewhat unpolished but could provide a solid complement to the receivers already in place.

Reynolds, tall and thin, had trouble landing a scholarship out of high school and transferred to Texas A&M from a junior college. As a senior last season, he led the SEC with 1,039 yards.

“I’m a playmaker,” Reynolds said, “and can play pretty much anywhere they need. I’m a winner and I’d love to help this team win.”

Austin also is a deep-ball threat but has been inconsistent throughout his four-year career. That didn’t stop the Rams from giving him a four-year, $42-million contract extension last August. Woods is considered a possession receiver and a good run blocker, while Cooper’s role remains unknown.

Kupp’s inclusion adds another element. Some analysts project Kupp to be a slot receiver in the NFL, although at 6-2 he has the size (and footwork) to play outside. Should the Rams find Kupp to be a better option inside, they might give Austin a fresh look as an outside receiver or increase his role in the run game.

Exactly where Reynolds fits remains to be seen, although his presence will put pressure on last year’s rookies – Cooper, Spruce and Thomas – to perform. Tight ends also will be a big part of the Rams’ offense, and Everett will join Tyler Higbee as a top option.

The Rams also added some depth on defense. Ebukam, the fourth-round linebacker, was a teammate of Kupp at Eastern Washington. Ekubam finished his college career with 24 sacks in 53 games and will be considered an edge rusher in defensive coordinator Wade Phillips’ 3-4 system.

“I feel good about it, because that really works to my game,” Ebukam said. “I can be an outside linebacker and just rush the passer. That’s what I do best.”

Smart, one sixth-round pick, could serve as a backup to defensive tackle Aaron Donald, while Rogers, the other sixth-rounder, will block for running back Todd Gurley and likely contribute on special teams.

The Rams went back to defense for their seventh-round pick, Price, who had injury issues at Pitt but is considered a strong pass rusher.

The Rams moved all over the draft board Saturday. The day started with a move down, as they sent the No. 112 pick to Chicago for No. 117 and a sixth-round pick (No. 197). The Rams used that pick on Reynolds.

Not content to wait until the end of the round to pick again, the Rams moved up to No. 125. They sent their fourth-round compensatory pick (No. 141) to the New York Jets, as well as the No. 197 pick they’d received from Chicago less than an hour earlier. The Rams used No. 125 on Ebukam.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams' 2017 draft picks: Analysis for every selection/ESPN

RamBill848April 29, 2017 04:38PM

Rams Surround Goff with Playmakers in Draft –Video

RamBill250April 29, 2017 05:09PM

2017 Rams Post-Draft Press Conference –Video

RamBill232April 29, 2017 05:38PM

Rams D-Line Coach Bill Johnson Comments on Tanzel Smart

RamBill243April 29, 2017 06:57PM

Rams Draft 5 Players on Day 3, Finish With 8 Picks

RamBill225April 29, 2017 07:01PM

Rams Agree to Terms with 11 Undrafted Free Agents

RamBill225April 29, 2017 07:09PM

Rams 'stick to the plan' in draft and address variety of needs

RamBill189April 29, 2017 07:14PM

Rams wrap up draft with more skill, less beef

RamBill322April 29, 2017 07:50PM

RamBill335April 29, 2017 09:35PM