Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jon Gruden optimistic about Jared Goff, Sean McVay--ESPN

April 19, 2017 06:29PM
Jon Gruden optimistic about Jared Goff, Sean McVay

Alden Gonzalez

LOS ANGELES -- Jon Gruden, the ESPN analyst who recently finished taping his eighth "QB Camp" series, isn't yet ready to make a full assessment of Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff, last year's No. 1 overall pick.

"He came out early -- a true junior," Gruden said on a conference call Wednesday. "I don't think he's a hundred percent what he's going to be physically; I still think he's going to get stronger, I think he's going to mature physically. I do think that he went into a difficult situation. That's an offensive line that has struggled; that's a receiving corps that has struggled. And his inexperience -- I think that's a difficult combination for a young quarterback. And I think that's a big reason why they were 0-7 when he was the starter."

During that seven-game stretch to finish the 2016 season, Goff had the NFL's fourth-lowest completion percentage (54.6), fourth-worst touchdown-to-interception ratio (0.71), second-lowest Total QBR (22.2) and fewest yards per attempt (5.31).

Carson Wentz followed Goff by joining the Eagles with the No. 2 overall pick last April, immediately taking the two best quarterbacks off the board. That stands in stark contrast to the outlook for this year's draft, which brings serious questions about the ability and slotting of Mitchell Trubisky, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes and Deshone Kizer. The Rams certainly weighed the uncertainty of this year's quarterback class when they moved up 14 spots to select Goff last year, but now they have to figure out a way to get Goff right.

Read Complete Article
[www.espn.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Jon Gruden assesses Rams quarterback Jared Goff a year after 2016 NFL draft

RamBill699April 19, 2017 11:19AM

Jon Gruden optimistic about Jared Goff, Sean McVay--ESPN

RamBill303April 19, 2017 06:29PM