Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

McVay to Implement West Coast-Based Offense

March 03, 2017 07:49AM

by Myles Simmons

INDIANAPOLIS — It’s no secret the Rams have struggled on offense recently, finishing No. 32 in total yards each of the past two years. In the Los Angeles’ head coaching search, one of the most significant qualities the club looked for was an ability to create a cohesive, competitive offensive unit. That’s part of why the club landed on Sean McVay.

“Going back to when we were searching for a head coach, one of the things that stood out about Sean is — and I know it's getting talked about at this Combine — the last two seasons that Kirk Cousins had,” general manager Les Snead said Thursday. “So, he's taken a quarterback that was, hey, drafted in the mid rounds and wasn't drafted to be a starter, and he's probably the darling of the Combine for content for really one thing: His last two seasons were really productive.

“So there's no doubt Sean's offense has been successful,” Snead continued. “So we do think, just him coming in and setting up his system will help our team.”

Even so, McVay sought to temper any grandiose expectations for 2017 as he addressed the media on Thursday.

“I think really what we’re looking at is that daily improvement,” McVay said. “You know, we’re not going to make any promises, but we are going to focus on getting better every single day, focusing on our process, developing our standard of performance. And if we do that, then I think you’ll see those incremental improvements that will lead to big things over time.”

McVay described his offense as being based in the West Coast system, in large part because of what he’s learned from both Jon and Jay Gruden.

“I think when you look at some of the quick game, the way that you have that quick game, where you’re using the width of the field, have it become an extension of your run game, there’s some definite principles,” McVay said. “But I think really when you talk about West Coast it’s more of what is your verbiage and how you call plays and different things like that, so it is West Coast based in that regard.”

Read Complete Article
[www.therams.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill757March 03, 2017 07:49AM

Wonder how much of the terminology and concepts

9er8er308March 05, 2017 02:56PM

Re: I think that stuff is overplayed

merlin291March 06, 2017 09:44AM

To me it comes down to habit

Atlantic Ram276March 06, 2017 10:57AM