Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: The combine...

Anonymous User
February 20, 2017 01:53PM
laram
I will be there again this year so if anyone else is going the first drink at Tavern on South is on ME.

That is where EVERYONE goes.

Anyway the combine: I was thinking about the discussions we have had on the board over the years regarding the value of the combine, or is it just a glorified pajama party.

I have gone back and forth on this myself and have concluded empirically that the combine is extremely valuable.

No doubt about it and the clever scouts that know what to look for in this event with specific drills by certain position groups can help them separate players bunched up with similar rankings from their college film.. Not a perfect science with sure fire results but a strong evaluation tool which is why the combine will probably always be around many years from now.

The position drills at the combine will help me gauge his movements and pin point where the deficiency is.

So from that perspective the combine is very useful in evaluating players that show something on tape that you need more information on.

This happened to me a few years ago when another very highly rated Big Ten corner came out. I watched his game tape and noticed he was very grabby. He was losing leverage and had to grab to recover, so I wanted to get a better handle on why he was losing leverage.

I saw it on tape but the position drills at the combine showed clearly that he had very stiff hips, actually some of the worst I've seen at corner, which is a death nail for a cornerback.

Despite the evidence the so called "experts" missed it, which makes me believe that some team evaluators as do fans, undervalue the importance of the combine.

A wise observation laram and I get why many down play the combine with the looks like Tarzan in this event but might play like Jane on NFL game days etc.. Pajama Olympics or what ever the cliche, this event can often times carefully screen several players for flaws hidden by their college game day film.

I've never been to the combine and not having a top 10 first round selection this year, makes your offer for what ever this Tavern on south is all about a punch in the gut since I'm not going to be theresad smiley

Oh well, I will enjoy all of the feedback from you good smart folks that post insight on the board. thumbs up

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The combine...

laram990February 20, 2017 11:47AM

alyoshamucci397February 20, 2017 12:43PM

And medical

Blue and Gold266February 23, 2017 05:52PM

Anonymous User402February 20, 2017 01:53PM

trey Waynes

Deadpool337February 20, 2017 03:58PM

Re: Dazzling post