Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Let's *assume* that this is true....

January 11, 2017 05:40AM
Along with some supporting intel:

Jeff Legwold Verified account ‏@Jeff_Legwold 39m39 minutes ago Said Kyle Shanahan was the front-runner for #Broncos on Monday, still believe that's the case. He has choices and team still in playoffs

Ed Werder Retweeted Mike Klis Verified account ‏@MikeKlis Jan 7 Broncos 5-man group (Elway, Ellis, Russell, Thewes, Smyth) met 4 hrs w/ Kyle Shanahan in NE Atlanta hotel. The best off candidate. #9sports

One of the best if not the best VP/GM (whatever you want to call him) in today's game interviewed both Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan. and supposedly young Shanny is his frontrunner. I know some will consider this a leap, but it speaks volumes to ME.

Polumbus: My experience playing for Kyle Shanahan
[1043thefan.com]

With the Denver Broncos head coaching position open, the name of a well-known local has been called upon to take the reins: Kyle Shanahan.

Kyle, the son of Broncos legend Mike Shanahan, grew up inside of NFL coaching offices.

I had the opportunity to play for Kyle in Washington and Atlanta, so I thought I would share my firsthand experience.

I signed with Mike my rookie year and watched the way he coached our team first hand. Our offensive coordinator, Jeremy Bates, certainly had plenty of authority (and for a few years was a hot name in the industry) but make no mistakes about it, Mike was very hands on with our offense.

During practice, Mike spent most of his time directly with the offense. He was a part of just about every period of practice with us. During the games, I am not sure who was doing all the play calling, but I do believe Mike was heavily involved in the game-day play calls.

When I got to Washington, I expected the offensive coordinator and head coach relationship to look very similar. It was not. Mike was hands off. He stood at midfield for most of the practice and walked back and forth between offense and defense more so than he did during my time in Denver.

It was clear to me from Day One that the offense was Kyle’s show. Mike was letting Kyle do his thing as much as possible without being over-involved.

To be completely honest, I wasn’t entirely sure what to think. I went to the same high school as Kyle, and we had many mutual relationships, but I didn’t really know if Kyle could truly coach football. Did he just have the job because of his dad?

Well, let me tell you, it took no more than a month for me to be blown away by Kyle’s football acumen. Our offense was different than it was in Denver. Not in terminology, that was all the same, but the running game and our landmarks were drastically different.

Kyle had evolved his own dad’s offense. He had taken it to the next level.

Think about that. Son, coaching for dad, was smart enough to convince a legend to evolve his running game.

Gone were the days of automatically cutting back every running play to the backside. Gone were the days of offensive lineman having to cut on every play on the backside. We were stretching the field from numbers to numbers on every play, and if the running back could keep it play side and bounce it, it was encouraged.

We didn’t throw the ball as often, but when we did our yards per catch ranked at the top of the NFL. Our rushing attack, year-in and year-out, was at the top of the league.

The offensive lineman would drool at the first 15 plays handed out on Saturday night meetings because everything was built off the run — including all the passes.

Kyle reinvented our offense entirely for Robert Griffin III. He and Mike had overhauled everything to suit the talents of our quarterback instead of forcing him to fit the mold of their previous offense.

His Atlanta Falcons have the No. 1 offense in the NFL. Atlanta head coach Dan Quinn is a defensive guy, and he hired Kyle to independently operate the offense without overbearing involvement. Kyle has certainly not disappointed.

Kyle is certainly not where he is simply because his last name is Shanahan. Sure, Mike got him started. Sure, Mike’s fingerprints all over his offense. However, believe me when I tell you that Kyle is personally responsible for taking this offense to the next level.

Kyle is the best candidate for the job. I hope the Broncos hire him, retain defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and the defensive staff, and the team embarks on a new era of dominating Shanahan football in Denver.

Best,
Laram
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Broncos writer, "Shanahan is the front runner".

tonyde648January 11, 2017 05:22AM

laram374January 11, 2017 05:40AM

tonyde239January 11, 2017 05:49AM

Let's *assume* Denver goes with Joseph

BigGame81246January 11, 2017 05:51AM

Re: Nothing...

laram213January 11, 2017 06:28AM

Well the signs were there

BigGame81219January 11, 2017 06:43AM

Re: That makes sense...NM

laram231January 11, 2017 06:44AM

Re: How nothing...?

dzrams183January 11, 2017 07:39AM

Re: How nothing...?

laram263January 11, 2017 07:45AM

Re: Ah, gotcha! nm

dzrams178January 11, 2017 07:55AM

PHDram214January 11, 2017 06:19AM

Re: Don't forget, Shanny has to want to go there as HC....

oldschoolramfan264January 11, 2017 09:08AM

Re: Broncos writer, "Shanahan is the front runner".

Doss215January 11, 2017 07:28AM

bigjimram21211January 11, 2017 07:44AM

MamaRAMa207January 11, 2017 07:47AM

bigjimram21199January 11, 2017 07:53AM

MamaRAMa195January 11, 2017 08:40AM

bigjimram21196January 11, 2017 09:16AM

Re: Elway clearly doesn't have a built in bias

Speed_Kills266January 11, 2017 08:42AM