Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

49ers Head Coach Chip Kelly – Conference Call – December 21, 2016

December 21, 2016 03:41PM

(On how QB Jared Goff has looked in these past few games)
“I don’t think it’s looked drastically different. They’re still trying to run the ball with (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley) – run some play-action passes off of it. It looks like they may get a little more empty (backfields) in Jared. We really have broken down our last game with them, and then these four games, so we’ve seen Jared to really, not comparing to him to what they did earlier this season. Just really kind of looking at when he was in there.”

(On if the losing streak has prompted him to try something different in regards to motivating his team)
“In terms of motivation, no. These guys have been great, they come to work every day and understand that they control their effort, they control their attitude. They’ve been a real good group. I think they’ve stuck together. They don’t point fingers. They all want to be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem. I haven’t had any issues with these guys practicing, preparing, or anything like that.”

(On has it been difficult handling the attention QB Colin Kaepernick received this season)
“No. I think, and I’ve said it on numerous occasions, Colin – when he first took his stand in preseason, we had a team meeting – he expressed to his teammates why he was doing what he was doing. I think everybody understood it, recognized his right to do what he’s doing, and it’s never been an issue. It’s never come up again with the team, it’s never come up with group dynamics in terms of what we got going. He’s handled it kind of outside of here, in terms of his cause and what he’s doing with it. So, we haven’t had any issues at all. He’s been great, he’s been very professional. He prepares extremely hard. When he gets to this building in the morning, he’s all about football from the time he gets here, until the time he leaves.”

(On his impressions of Rams QB Jared Goff)
“He’s come in in the last couple of games, obviously, you could see how well he throws the football. It seems like he’s starting to get a little bit more comfortable in their scheme, in terms of what they’re asking him to do and getting acclimated like any rookie quarterback would be. I think he’s starting to seem like he gets a little bit more comfortable as the more reps he gets – which is understandable from the quarterback spot. It’s the one spot that you really don’t practice the way you play, because in practice, no one’s ever going to hit you, so your comfort level in the pocket is extremely different in practice than it is in a game. The value for him is the reps he’s getting and they will continue to get him the reps. I see a guy that can really spin the football and is accurate when he throws it. We have to be on top of it and try to create some pressure on him so that he can’t get set back there and have a chance to survey the defense and get the ball off.”

(On the biggest challenges for a new head coach coming into a new team)
“I think the toughest thing, and no one ever writes about it, is putting a staff together, because you cannot just go say, ‘Hey, I want the New England Patriots’ linebacker coach,’ because he’s under contract with the New England Patriots. One of the toughest things to do is to get a staff together, because, really, the only people available to you are guys that are out of work in the NFL, or college coaches. Because, if someone’s under a contract, by and large, you ask permission, but most coaches do not allow guys that are under contract out to take other jobs. Really, your pool of candidates when you put a staff together is rather small, in terms of what you have to put together. As I left Philly, there were some guys that I coached with in Philly that I would have loved to coach with again, but they weren’t let out of their contracts in Philadelphia, so you have to move on and go to other people. Really, what becomes the pool of candidates is what teams have let go. And even in some of those instances, if an assistant coach’s contract has a couple of years left on it – even though the head coach of that team was let go – the team can still hold on to the assistant coach. That’ll be the biggest challenge for whoever takes over there, is being able to put together the staff. The thing that’s not known publically is you just can’t go hire whoever you want to hire, because if they’re under contract with another team, it’s like going to take a player from another team – if they’re under contract with another team, you can’t touch them. You can ask for permission and they can give it to you, but they don’t have to. The only time you have to give permission is if he’s moving up to a head coaching position, all the assistants are treated the same now in the NFL.”

49ers QB Colin Kaepernick – Conference Call – December 21, 2016

(On if saying that the 49ers needed to create a culture of winning was something that was missing heading into the season or if this losing streak brought it on)
“No, I think it’s something that, when you are on a losing streak, you have to do something different, as a whole, to create an environment, to create that culture where you get in to winning games and that becomes a habit, that becomes the expectation. On a daily basis, a weekly basis, every drill, everything you’re doing is a culture about winning that drill, winning that series of plays, winning everything you’re doing.”

(On what he remembers about the first game against the Rams and how long ago that game seems)
“I don’t do a whole lot of reflecting during the season, my focus is always on the next game and trying to make sure I’m prepared for that. Looking back at that week, it’s more so looking back at what the Rams have done, what they’re doing currently and making sure our game plan and my studies are correct to allow us to go out and try to get a win this week.”

(On if becoming the starting quarterback again lessened some of the off-field distractions and pressure he was experiencing earlier in the season)
“No, I don’t think there was any pressure for me on the field or off the field. I’m prepared for the situations that I’m put in and that I speak on. No, to me, that’s something I’m fully comfortable with and being able to step on the field is something that’s an expectation for me. To me, I was just waiting for that opportunity again.”

(On how he feels he has played recently)
“I think I’ve played well, but there’s always things that you want to improve on, you want to make sure you’re doing better. And also making sure that you’re putting your teammates in a position to go out and make plays and make the best of every opportunity. And that’s something we have to do better as a whole, is making sure that we’re creating opportunities and when they present themselves, we’re taking advantage of them.”

(On former Seahawks long snapper Nate Boyer’s comments regarding their meeting a few months back possibly being a stunt)
“I don’t things for publicity, stunts or anything like that. I saw a piece he had written on me, I wanted to speak with him about it and get his perspective on things. For me, I also have a job right now that I’m very focused on that I have to be fully engaged with the majority of my day, the majority of my week. So, no, those are conversations and actions will be something I’ll be able to do more so when the offseason comes and I have more time to delegate to that.”

(On if he plans on reaching out to Boyer following the season)
“Yeah, I’m open to talking to him, talking to other people as well, to try to create change and try to help people the best way that I can and try to change the environment and culture for a lot of people that are being oppressed by the system.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blue and Gold391December 21, 2016 03:41PM