Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams working to add offense with Tavon Austin's unique skill set

August 10, 2016 07:58PM

Steve Dilbeck

[www.espn.com]

IRVINE, Calif. -- He is the biggest little man on the field. He’s here, and then in a blink, there. He’s talking smack. He’s slapping backs and laughing and barking insults.

Tavon Austin would seem to have enough energy for the entire team, not that the Los Angeles Rams don’t turn to him to get their motor running. He is a blur on the field and high energy all the time.

“He’s got two speeds,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “One’s fast and the other is sleep.”

Tavon Austin said he uses his gift of gab on the field as a motivational tool for his teammates, not just to make noise. Matt Masin/The Orange County Register via AP
Austin is listed at 5-foot-8 and 176 pounds. A former No.1 draft pick from West Virginia, he led the Rams last season with 52 receptions and five touchdowns.

Both fast and explosive, the Rams use him to return punts or sometimes in the backfield or other times in the slot. He’s a weapon they move around to keep defenses on edge.

“A really smart player,” Fisher said. “Very exciting, explosive player. Loves to play and compete.”

The Rams are trying to open up the offense even more this summer to utilize his unique skills, which Austin is naturally very receptive.

“I appreciate it, just for what I’ve been through,” Austin said. “It’s only going to get better for me. I’m about the wins and any time I get to touch the ball, hopefully I can make something good happen with it.”

Austin said this after a practice Monday, wearing socks with the Virgin Mary on them. “I found them in my locker,” he said. Tuesday he wore socks with him and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on draft day.

He said this while wearing a jersey with a No. 1 on it in practice, despite his number being 11. He wore No. 1 in college.

Last season he averaged only 9.1 yards on those 52 receptions, though his eyebrow will rise if you ask if he should be considered a possession receiver.

“No, definitely not no possession receiver,” he said. “I’m trying to go to the house. That’s just my style of the game.”

Austin is standing still on field for this interview, something that rarely happens during practice or a game. He has something to say and is eager to share it. He said he’s always been this way.

“That’s always been me,” he said. “A smaller guy. I don’t do it just to be out here talking. I kinda motivate myself and keep me on my toes. And it helps motivate my teammates. That’s why I really do it.”

Austin, now in his fourth season, believes it’s become part of his leadership role, that teammates look to him to add a spark.

“A lot of people feed off my energy,” he said. “I have to keep that up. I can’t just be loud one day and the next day saying nothing. I really believe they look forward to me doing stuff like that, so I have to keep doing it. I’m one of the older guys on the team. I love doing it, to be honest.”

That’s not a hard sell. The only thing sharper than his cuts on a route are his comments.

Sometimes a defender will try to jaw back, not that it has any impact on Austin’s rapid spiel.

“To be honest, I don’t really care if they talk back to me or not, because I know I’m being heard,” he said. “Definitely if we’re winning at the time. If we’re losing, I probably won’t be talking as much. I’ll probably be more talking to my pads.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill715August 10, 2016 07:58PM