Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams draw big crowds to first practices in California

July 31, 2016 06:46PM
By Steve Dilbeck

[espn.go.com]

IRVINE, Calif. -- And on the second day, they just practiced. Mostly. Sort of, anyway.

The Los Angeles Rams held their first camp practice at UC Irvine on Saturday, and more than 10,000 fans showed up. They cheered when players first stepped on the field, were thrilled by stretching exercises and became ecstatic at rookie quarterback Jared Goff's first completion.

The Rams came back on Sunday and had a little more than half that many fans show up. If their second practice back in Southern California saw the electricity level amp down a tad, it still seemed a very long way from St. Louis.

"It's been amazing," middle linebacker Alec Ogletree said. "It definitely makes practice a lot easier when the fans are out here cheering us on and having fun."

Fans gasped at one-handed catches, hung on railings and stayed after practice chanting names and hoping for an autograph.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher had to pause while beginning his post-practice interview session with the media because a roar broke out through the crowd as some Ram somewhere did something.

"I apologize for the noise," Fisher said. "Can you hear me? That's a good thing. Not used to that."

There was a $10 parking fee at the UC Irvine campus, but otherwise the practice was free. Booths were set up around the field selling drinks and team merchandise. There was a first aid station. Music blared from numerous field speakers. Considering it was the Rams' first time back in Southern California in 22 years, things ran amazingly smooth.

On Saturday, there seemed an overreaction to almost every play made, even though the team was practicing without pads. It was part practice, part celebration.

Running back Todd Gurley said Saturday he was stunned by the large turnout, but once practice started he became focused on the immediate task.

"When you're out there on the field, you know what you have to focus on and get better at," he said. "I was so tired today, I couldn't even hear half the people. I was just focused on trying to get my wind back."

The crowds figure to be smaller at weekday practices. Next Saturday, however, the team is scheduled to practice in the Coliseum.

The Los Angeles area appears eager to welcome the Rams back into its embrace. Two days in, and it has wrapped a party around a little practice.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill700July 31, 2016 06:46PM