November 29, 2022 12:18PM
I got a jury summons a few weeks ago. I’ve only had to actually serve once in my life… about 25 years ago. It was a criminal trial (double homicide) and it took 4 days from the time I reported until the verdict was read and the trial was over. It was one of the most interesting things I’ve ever done and an unforgettable experience.

I had to report in at the St Louis County Courts on Monday morning at 8:30 am. Since I live about 20 miles from there, I left my house at 7:30 am. It's been years since I've had to deal with Monday morning highway traffic into midtown. The court system allows prospective jurors to park in a designated parking garage and get their tickets validated so there’s no parking fee at the end of the day. It was only about two blocks from the garage to the Courts but the walk was a struggle for me. I wobbled most of the way on hips with weak ball joints and even though I had to make frequent stops while walking, I made it there on time. Over 200 prospective jurors were corralled into the jury waiting room where names were then called in groups of 30-48 people. When your name was called, you then proceeded with others in your group to a different floor where the courtrooms were located. I was in the 4th group and got called to a courtroom in a division that was mostly for domestic violence cases. The defendant was there with his attorneys, the prosecuting attorneys, the judge, bailiff, court reporters, and the 48 prospective jurors. The voire dire (the process in which the judge and the attorneys ask the potential jurors questions to determine their suitability to serve on the jury) took several hours. The attorneys didn't wrap things up and choose what jurors would serve until 5 pm. I wasn’t one of the ones chosen (fine by me and YIPPEE!!). I was just glad the day was over and I could get home.

By the time we were dismissed, It was already dark outside and I hobbled the few blocks to get to my car in the parking garage. But there were lots of dismissed jurors heading for the garage along with me, so I felt safe in the company of others. When I got to the parking garage I realized I had no idea what floor I parked on. How in the heck was I going to find my car? I remembered having to drive up several floors before I found a space. So I figured I must have parked on the 4th, 5th, or 6th floor. I walked to each floor and walked all over those floors looking for my car. It was exhausting. I didn’t see my car anywhere. Ok, now I’m distraught and freaking out. I am in full-blown panic mode. How in the hell am I going to get home if my car is gone? My son had his car stolen a few months ago and they found it a few days later… totaled. I was afraid it was déjà vu all over again. There I am, standing in the middle of a desolate, almost empty parking garage with no car and it’s after dark. I broke down sobbing.

I looked up just then to see a nice-looking 40ish year old man putting a tote bag or brief case in the trunk of his car… a Porsche. I recognized him as having been in the jury waiting room earlier. He saw me snot crying and asked what was wrong. I could barely talk I was so upset. I told him I couldn’t find my car. I didn’t know what floor I parked it on and I checked 3 different floors and it wasn’t there. It was getting late and there weren’t people around and I didn’t want to spend the next hour walking 7 parking levels trying to find my car. Plus… what if it was stolen? The man told me he was sure my car hadn’t been stolen. He told me not to worry, told me to get in his Porsche, and assured me we’d find it. I told him the make, model, color and license plate. He drove all the way to the top of the parking garage and then began to make his way down checking each level carefully for my car. And then… when we got to the 3rd floor… there it was! Then I started crying harder because he found my car! I couldn’t believe how nice, thoughtful, and kind this poor guy was in trying to help me. He didn’t know me from Adam but for a few minutes, he was my knight in shining armor! I blubbered thank you over and over while he waited till I got my car started before he drove off. I never even got his name.

I am just so thankful that there are still good people in the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2022 12:46PM by MamaRAMa.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Juror #505

MamaRAMa311November 29, 2022 12:18PM

That's a really nice story..

sstrams83November 29, 2022 12:38PM

yup, lots of good people still in the world...

JamesJM84November 29, 2022 12:47PM

great story

21Dog77November 30, 2022 04:05AM

Re: Juror #505

waterfield189November 30, 2022 07:44AM

great story....the ending

ferragamo79120November 30, 2022 02:58PM

Re: Juror #505-a question for you Mama

waterfield98November 30, 2022 06:42PM

I've used it many times...

JamesJM53December 01, 2022 03:26AM

I have no idea about

waterfield71December 01, 2022 08:06PM

Re: Juror #505-a question for you Mama

MamaRAMa160December 01, 2022 05:09AM

Depends on how far away the car is.

waterfield41December 01, 2022 08:09PM

When I had my Jaguar....

JamesJM47December 01, 2022 10:41PM

I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox

ferragamo7944December 02, 2022 08:10AM

Fobs-some have better range

waterfield41December 02, 2022 08:12PM

My pickup has a touch pad on the door...

JamesJM41December 03, 2022 03:31AM