Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lowe's sells Craftsman tools

June 28, 2022 11:52AM
I didn't notice till the other day that Lowe's sells Craftsman tools now and apparently they've been selling them for the past several years. The article below is from 2018. I had no idea.

Craftsman Tools Now Available at Lowe's
Once exclusive to Sears, the iconic brand's tools just became easier to find
By Paul Hope
May 14, 2018

A year after buying Craftsman from Sears, Stanley Black & Decker has fulfilled its promise to make the tools from one of America’s most iconic brands more widely available.

Beginning May 14, you'll be able to buy some Craftsman tools at Lowe’s, in addition to existing outlets Sears and Kmart. Lowe’s is stocking its shelves with wrenches, hand tools, and tool storage systems in advance of Father’s Day, on June 17. And in the months to come, Craftsman says you’ll be able to find its outdoor power equipment at Lowe’s too.

“At last count, Lowe’s has nearly three times as many brick-and-mortar retail stores as Sears,” says Courtney Pennicooke, a market analyst at Consumer Reports who oversees tools and outdoor power equipment. "This means that in many places it will be easier to find Craftsman tools."

What It Means for You
Craftsman is one of several brands that used to be exclusive to Sears, but have found their way to wider audiences. Last year, as part of its struggle to save its once-dominant retailing empire, Sears began selling Kenmore appliances and DieHard car batteries on Amazon.

Sears netted $900 million from the sale of Craftsman and at the time said it would use the money to restructure its flagging retail business. Despite the company's financial struggles, more than 15 percent of all hand tools sold in the U.S. are still purchased at Sears stores, according to TraQline, a firm that tracks trends, market share, and consumer behavior for the retail industry. But TraQline vice president Eric Voyer also sees a lot of potential growth online.

"Online sales of hand tools have doubled since 2013, but levels are still less than half the average for the other 270 consumer durable products we track," says Voyer. "That potential for growth in online tool sales is causing retailers like Home Depot and Lowe's to improve their online strategy, and jumping at the chance to offer products from a top-performing brand, and expand their own product offering, may be part of the equation here for Lowe's."

Whether you normally shop at Sears or Lowe's, the competition created by this new deal may mean you'll see discounts on Craftsman hand tools. And at Lowe's, Craftsman products will also have to compete against the home center's in-house brand, Kobalt, on price.

Will the Products Change?
The rollout at Lowe's begins with hand and power tools, which make up the biggest share of Craftsman’s sales—about 60 percent—with outdoor power equipment to follow by the end of summer.

While Consumer Reports doesn’t test the hand tools or storage systems you’ll see first at Lowe’s, we have tested plenty of Craftsman outdoor power equipment over the years. Craftsman makes pressure washers, string trimmers, lawn mowers, chain saws, snow blowers, and leaf blowers, many of which, like the Craftsman 88976 snow blower, $1,600, the Craftsman 27042 riding mower, $2,200, and the Craftsman 34190 chain saw, $150, perform well enough for CR to recommend.

Since its acquisition of Craftsman, Stanley Black & Decker has continued to manufacture the brand's tools at the same facilities or by contracting with the same third-party manufacturers.

"In the short term, we think that means consumers can expect the Craftsman products to perform as they always have," says John Galeotafiore, who manages the testing for all outdoor power equipment at Consumer Reports. "But we’ll of course continue to test them and report on any major changes in performance or reliability that we find."

What About Warranties?
Stanley Black & Decker said in a press release that it intends to honor existing warranties and to continue offering similar warranties going forward. That was a question very much up in the air last year as the struggling brand continued to sell products that in some cases carry a lifetime warranty. Stanley Black & Decker's pledge may reassure consumers considering buying Craftsman tools.

"Craftsman is a brand built on pride," says Allison Nicolaidis, chief marketing officer for Global Tools and Storage at Stanley Black & Decker. "We're eager to introduce new Craftsman products that can be relied on by generations to come."

[www.consumerreports.org]

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My freezer is about ready for the graveyard

MamaRAMa245June 27, 2022 03:45PM

It never is on your radar...

sstrams139June 27, 2022 04:41PM

That is not.....COOL!!!

Ramgator95June 28, 2022 09:36AM

Our Sears closed about ten years ago, or so..

sstrams91June 28, 2022 10:44AM

Re: Our Sears closed about ten years ago, or so..

MamaRAMa97June 28, 2022 10:48AM

Yup.. I loved going through the tool section..

sstrams89June 28, 2022 11:26AM

Lowe's sells Craftsman tools

MamaRAMa161June 28, 2022 11:52AM

Yeah, I love going through Lowes..

sstrams119June 28, 2022 12:00PM

My Dad worked for SEARS for 40 years. 1960-2000

Ramgator198June 28, 2022 03:19PM

LOL You guys should have seen our house back in the day! It was SEARS or bust!

Ramgator69June 29, 2022 04:42AM

I'm the same way..

sstrams80June 29, 2022 04:46AM

We were saying???? Our 4 year old Stove is screwing up!!!

Ramgator186June 29, 2022 02:51PM

I'm replacing mine as well.. and it's not even 4 years old...

JamesJM158June 30, 2022 10:12AM

We have had a bad run with our appliances over the last 2 years

canadaram104July 01, 2022 03:53PM

Still don't have our freezer

MamaRAMa174July 01, 2022 04:31PM

Lowes is HORRIBLE..

sstrams184July 01, 2022 05:45PM

It all goes with the lack of accountability in today's world.

Ramgator92July 02, 2022 04:17AM

BUT.....In defense of Lowes, Home Depot.....ANY company...

Ramgator98July 02, 2022 04:25AM

Well, local businesses aren't all that, either..

sstrams71July 02, 2022 05:24AM

We have our new freezer... finally

MamaRAMa102July 03, 2022 06:52AM

Congrats...

sstrams118July 03, 2022 07:36AM

Re: We have our new freezer... finally

MamaRAMa126July 03, 2022 12:31PM

Yay!

canadaram105July 04, 2022 03:59PM

That is why......

ScRAM105July 08, 2022 03:52PM