Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

If the Colorado Avalanche wins tonight, they win the Stanley Cup

June 23, 2022 09:37AM
Would this be the first time a sports family wins the championship trophy in 2 different sports in the same year? (Super Bowl and Stanley Cup in 2022)
Ann Walton Kroenke is listed as the owner of the Colorado Avalanche which is such a frickin' joke. We all know what's going on there and it really pi$$es me off that rules have been bent in order to accommodate those who have the money to bend them. It's just not right. But... whatever. If Colorado wins the Stanley Cup, Stan will have bragging rights like no other professional sports owner, I believe. Cities have won multiple championships in the same year but I don't think an owner has. If I'm wrong about that... who else has done it?

Only 10 cities have won multiple titles in a year. Los Angeles is now tied for the most
By Rahul Mukherjee

October 27, 2020

The Dodgers World Series victory over the Tampa Bay Rays marks the first time since 1988 that they and the Lakers have won a championship in the same year. But since then, a city having multiple title winners in a year isn’t unusual. In fact, it’s more common in L.A. than in most other cities.

Since 1903, 10 cities in the United States have had their clubs win multiple titles. This includes teams from seven major leagues (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, WNBA, NWSL).

Many of the cities that won multiple championships in a year did so with a dynasty, such as Chicago in 1998 with the Michael Jordan-led Bulls and Pittsburgh in 1979 with the "Steel Curtain” Steelers.

Even though various teams are represented among the major leagues, one sport has emerged as the most represented: baseball.

Out of the 24 years in which a city has won multiple championships, 18 of them involve a Major League Baseball team. Los Angeles is an exception.

A good deal of Los Angeles' multiple titles were won by basketball teams. The Lakers and the Sparks won titles in 2001 and 2002.

The Galaxy have contributed the most of any Los Angeles team, with titles in 2002, 2012 and 2014 in such years. The NHL’s Kings also won championships in 2012 and 2014.

Los Angeles is the only city to have three teams win a championships in a single year – with the Lakers, Sparks and Galaxy capturing crowns in 2002.

Much of New York’s success can be attributed to its baseball teams, with the Yankees contributing four titles to multiple-title years. Since championships in 1986 by the Mets and the NFL's Giants, New York has been dormant.

Other markets that have had years with multiple championships, such as Detroit and Boston, have been driven by their baseball teams. The latter has always been paired with the NFL’s New England Patriots.

[www.latimes.com]

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

If the Colorado Avalanche wins tonight, they win the Stanley Cup Attachments

MamaRAMa79June 23, 2022 09:37AM