Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I had a good week....

January 22, 2022 07:34AM
A year ago the wife of my lifelong friend and neighbor called me and asked a favor. My friend was having some health problem. I was unaware of this until his wife informed me. She didn't explain his health problem mostly because she didn't know what it was... he was still going thru testing by his doctors. She wanted to know if I could drive him to an Italian club we both belong too because she didn't trust him driving. I agreed... and for the last year, nearly every Thursday night, I drove my friend to the club.

We talked about his problem on these drives, (one hour there and another hour back home). He still isn't sure what's going on. One week he would say he was better and the next not so good. I was noticing a decline in his condition. He was always a slow talker but I noticed his speech was getting worse, stumbling for words yet still mentally acute. He was still having trouble walking and it was progressively getting worse. Late November he called to say he wouldn't be going to the club that Thursday because he wasn't walking well. The following week he said he was better but still stumbling.... he hasn't been to the club with me since then.

I called his wife just after Christmas and she told me he was unable to walk without assistance. A day or so later I called again and said I'd be happy to help him using a wheelchair... he has yet to accept that offer but he's changing his mind, I think.

So here's why your post brought this to mind:

I knew my friend was not getting out.... not only not going to the club with me but homebound. So I called and told his wife I'd be coming by for a visit. That was the first of the year. Since then I go to visit him weekly, or a little more... and while there we sit, talk about old times, and watch the old Gene Autry show. The man loves Gene Autry. laughing smiley

I liked Gene, but he was never my favorite... I liked many other westerns more. But my friend liked Gene, so we watched Gene. Couple episodes each visit. Of course while watching Gene it reminded both of us of our youth... he grew up a half mile from me. We never really socialized together growing up.. he was a year younger than I and no where near as outgoing as I was - even though we are both introverted by nature. So during these visits we were, and are, learning how much we had and have in common.... watching those old westerns on TV and vicariously living the cowboy lifestyle. laughing smiley

We've been having a great time... and while he's not a football fan AT ALL I found that to be a great thing. Between all these last games I found my trips to visit my friend, and watch Gene (few times I had him watch Roy Rodger or the Lone Ranger instead) it made the tension and stress I'd normally feel between games much less. MUCH less. Now I call daily, or every other day, checking on him and mostly talking about being kids... and Gene. We don't talk news, or any current events other than what mutual friends are up too.

Praying my friend recovers from whatever it is he's suffering from but even should he be 100% restored to good health my visits won't end... a week without Gene Autry? The very thought is intolerable to me today. laughing smiley - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I take this as a good sign for tomorrow...

Arkansas Ram160January 22, 2022 06:32AM

Re: I take this as a good sign for tomorrow...

21Dog79January 22, 2022 07:06AM

I had a good week....

JamesJM80January 22, 2022 07:34AM

that's a great story

21Dog160January 22, 2022 08:17AM

+1 .......nm

Arkansas Ram71January 22, 2022 11:43AM