September 10, 2021 01:02PM
Before I do note: I did not see Dwight, neither performing or backstage.

Was it 2 years ago? I think so. We played an outdoor festival in Oregon. Our Rhythm guitar player knew the land owner well, (cattle rancher), and his daughter was the promoter. 3 Day concert, 3 stages. We played the small stages the first two days then the main stage on the last day of the festival.

Some big names if you know country... Trace Atkins, Sawyer Brown.. some others but I forget who.

Extremely nice setup... deluxe motorhomes behind the stages for the performers. Each motorhome stocked with beer, Crown Royal Whiskey, we felt like superstars.

So anyway... friends with the promoter we got more 'inside' good treatment than the superstars, like Trace. laughing smiley The promoter came into our motorhome one afternoon to take a break, and some whiskey with us. During this visit she told us about the hell that it was to set this whole festival up.

Warning... if your wife loves Dwight she ain't going to like this next part. laughing smiley

So our friend, the promoter, said working with the bands, solo artists was tough... but for the most part they were cooperative. Trace Atkins, she said, was VERY friendly and easy to work with. Then she came to Dwight... laughing smiley

I can't use the same words on this board she used when talking about Dwight. She said the guy was the prima donna of all prima donnas. Had more demands than they could comply with. I won't list them all, (I don't remember them all)... but one was a certain brand of peanut butter, 3 jars, and was told that "if they're not in my dressing room I don't go on stage". The brand he asked for wasn't available in Oregon so they had to make a special trip down to Calif. to get it. He also said "no photos", not even during the concert... he demanded they make that announcement to the crowd just before he took the stage... and promised that if he saw a single flash he'd walk off the stage. The promoter speculated that it was because he's nearly entirely bald now, very ugly, and extremely vain.

He made many amenity demands and said he wouldn't meet with any VIP's, (friends of the promoter, like us), under any circumstances. Not that we gave a @#$, none of us were Dwight fans. We weren't even there when he performed. Fact is: We didn't meet any of the top stars... we were having too much fun playing like we WERE the stars.. what with our own motorhome, whiskey, and passes to go into all the "VIP ONLY" areas. laughing smiley

She told us later that after the concert he complained about everything and swore he'd never come back... she didn't care because she told him he'd never be invited again.

The festival was in it's third year, and set to continue BUT... the following year it was cancelled... then this last summer she cancelled again deciding the hassle just wasn't worth it. She said she was considering another festival but this time little known local bands, no big stars... and we had standing invite to them all.

So that's my Dwight story.... don't tell your wife I told you this. laughing smiley
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I got some 'splainin' to do..

sstrams276September 10, 2021 12:28PM

Re: I got some 'splainin' to do..

MamaRAMa181September 10, 2021 12:47PM

Yeah, he was lightning fast with sticks..

sstrams199September 10, 2021 02:43PM

Oops..

sstrams186September 10, 2021 02:49PM

Did I tell you my Dwight story?

JamesJM290September 10, 2021 01:02PM

peanut butter

21Dog207September 10, 2021 02:12PM

Re: Did I tell you my Dwight story?

MamaRAMa221September 10, 2021 02:49PM

21Dog216September 10, 2021 03:29PM

He was also the pastor in 4 Christmases...

sstrams170September 11, 2021 04:57AM

I gotta go to dinner..

sstrams177September 10, 2021 02:50PM

sstrams180September 11, 2021 06:23AM

MamaRAMa172September 11, 2021 06:41AM

Interesting..

sstrams173September 11, 2021 07:22AM

Oh, the tambourine... I forgot to mention...

JamesJM236September 10, 2021 01:06PM