Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

P.D James... author, ever read her?

March 04, 2021 05:19PM
I had not, I am now. She's a mystery write, like 'whodunnits'. She has passed on now...back in 2014 at the very good old age of 94.

She is an amazing writer... but before getting into that here's my bit of intrigue -

I really don't like this novel so far. It's called, "A Certain Justice" written in 1997.. not that old. I'm bored. BUT...

She is an amazing writer. You like character development? This lady is your cup of tea. You like an expansive vocabulary and ability to use it.. properly? This lady is your cup of tea. I really don't like the novel so far... but I am mesmerized by her gift for writing and utilizing the English language. I WILL finish this novel... even if under duress. laughing smiley

I was like that with Charles Dickens as well.. (no, not comparing the two other than... )... I was bored out of my mind reading Dickens... but at the same time incredulous that the English language could be that artistic.

I was never a fan of Zane Grey, another marvelously gifted 'writer'.. and whom I could definitely appreciate... but three chapters describing a bush, (I exaggerate a bit), was more than I could handle. Reading Zane I'd snap, "OK ALREADY, I GET IT, IT'S A PRETTY SUNSET". That's criticism of me as a reader more than Zane as an author, obviously.

Reading this novel by P.D. James I'm having a similar response.. Regarding her lead character I'm - - - "YES, she's complex, I GET IT, does she ever actually DO anything"... again... criticism of ME.

So I'm maybe ⅓ of the way into the 'murder mystery', but no murder yet. I know who is GOING to be murdered, however.. so that's interesting.

Really keen on seeing how P.D. finishes this up.... if I can just get past the 2 chapter long character psychoanalysis of a character who is little important to the murder. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

P.D James... author, ever read her?

JamesJM182March 04, 2021 05:19PM

If you like murder mysteries

waterfield99March 04, 2021 05:30PM

Ok, maybe, lemme see if I understand you...

JamesJM119March 04, 2021 06:05PM

Re: Ok, maybe, lemme see if I understand you...

waterfield120March 04, 2021 07:48PM

I'll second Michael Connelly

Drew2839108March 15, 2021 07:23PM

Walken is amazing...

JamesJM154March 15, 2021 07:27PM

"Can't explain it"

Drew2839177March 16, 2021 06:51PM

I read Children of Men

zn179March 04, 2021 05:32PM