Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cats... as indoor pets....

June 02, 2020 01:07PM
Long ago we discussed cats on this board.... as some of you may remember I admitted I am not a cat person. That does NOT mean I don't like cats... I like them just fine. Not as much as dogs but I like them.

I also stated that in my entire life I can recall having only ONE indoor cat. Living in the country I've ALWAYS had wild cats outdoors, and a couple of them we tamed down...although they remained outdoors'.

So living in a farm field we get bad rodent, (mice), problems a couple of times a year.... I hate them. As fate would have it two cats came up for adoption early this year... and my grandkids started begging for them... and my gut reaction was 'hell no'.... then the mice showed up... so I relented. TWO cats... indoor cats, had them now for 6 months or so... and they were just kittens when we got them. Names are Kylo and Luna.

So three months go by after getting them and no dead mice. I was disturbed by that but hey, they were still very young. Then this last month... and Luna is a born KILLER. Now up until Luna showed her "I don't tolerate mice" demeanor I didn't pet them much, or have much to do with them. Again, I LIKED them, but I'm just not the type of person that wants a cat on my lap. Luna, however, took a liking to me... almost like a 'crush'.... no matter how much I spurned her advances she persisted. Eventually I relented and would scratch her head, belly, every now and then. Then she turned assassin, and would proudly make sure I saw her latest kill. That did it... I was in love.

Last night I got up about 2am for a glass of milk and saw Luna crouched in 'killer mode' by the dishwasher... she was on the prowl. So I... surprising even myself, got down on the floor with her.... and waited. She was thrilled to have my company... she had taught me well. Together we lie in wait.

About an hour later... it was ON.... the mouse showed it's presence... Luna and I remained deadly still and quiet. That's the key to being a good assassin, patience. I am a novice, of course, so I kept my place and allowed Luna to lead the way. A few more minutes go by and the mouse exposes itself and Luna sees it's time to strike. I didn't even really see the attack... too fast... it was a blur, even though I was paying close attention. In the blink of an eye Luna had struck and killed. I was in awe.

Luna and I are now the best of friends... and as far as I'm concerned Luna has the run of the house.. anything she wants it's hers. Any place she wants to sleep is ok with me.

Now Kylo, the male. Well, he's 0 for 0 in kills... no kills, not even an attempt as far as I know. Kylo and I don't see eye to eye very well. Lots of mutual respect but that's it. Me and Luna? I'm putting her in my will. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Cats... as indoor pets....

JamesJM129June 02, 2020 01:07PM

Which just goes to prove..

sstrams50June 02, 2020 01:59PM

Wish to heck I could post a video...

JamesJM96June 02, 2020 05:08PM