Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Music is dying... or rather....

October 25, 2017 06:46AM
those who create it are... or so it seems to me. That last couple of years have seen the passing of so many great musicians that it feels like sunshine is being stripped from the world... or like dementor's are hovering over us all, sucking all happiness out of us.

I saw Fats a few times... the most memorable was in the early 70's... with my Dad and Mom, (RIP). My parents loved Fats, LOVED him. "Blueberry Hill" quite possibly the only song I ever heard my Dad sing along to in his life, tapping his foot a bit out of rhythm. I was in my 20's at the time... but not quite 'of' my generation in that I grew up listening too, and loving, all genre of music... but even so - when we were deciding who to go see that night, (This was Reno), I was all for a couple of popular at the time rock bands and went to see Fats having been out voted and showing up for our dinner/concert a bit disgruntled... I didn't leave that way, however.

From the first chord Fats struck on those ivory keys I was enthralled, mesmerized... I couldn't take in how someone could simply voice music by merely speaking, but Fats could. As he hit a few chords he introduced himself and his band... speaking, not singing, yet it was pure music. After introductions Fats, and the band, paused, very briefly.... then Fats began, at first A Cappella... "Blueberry Hill".... and the audience didn't so much 'cheer' as they gasped... his voice filling the theater like an orchestra, or like the sun coming out from behind a cloud.

One forgot the food, the drink, the Keno cards, and for the next couple of hours all was right in the world, woes and anxiety faded into oblivion, nothing existed except the master at work, on stage, irresistibly transporting you into his world.

Fats Domino... a life not merely 'well lived' but rather 'perfectly lived'. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RIP Fats Domino.

Ramgator228October 25, 2017 05:57AM

I met Fats..

sstrams128October 25, 2017 06:39AM

Oh wow....you lucky son of a gun....

JamesJM126October 25, 2017 06:49AM

You'd have loved him...

sstrams135October 25, 2017 07:42AM

Music is dying... or rather....

JamesJM125October 25, 2017 06:46AM

How DARE you say music is dying!!!!