Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone see the movie Predestination starring Ethan Hawke?

October 19, 2017 10:00PM
don't, unless you want your brain tied into knots. Which, granted, can make for a nice break in an otherwise boring day.

Scrolling through movies on Amazon Prime Videos this evening I saw 'time travel' as a description of "Predestination" so I watched it. If you've seen this movie my guess is that you were reminded of another movie of great mystery called "Memento"... I don't mean the plots.. which are quite different, but rather the Paradox, or PardoxES, both movies present.

Neither here nor there but I consider Memento a much better film... but both fascinating.

Not going to try to explain, (couldn't even if I DID try), but it deals with one theory of time travel that suggests a 'closed cycle', so to speak... in which you cannot change the future... no matter what you do. You can go back in the past and do an infinite number of things differently yet no matter what you do events in the future remain unchanged... merely restructured as to 'cause'.

Predestination, brilliantly IMHO, takes this paradox and then frames it within incredibly complex scenarios. Unlike Memento, in which from beginning to end the mystery is gradually unraveled, Predestination hits you with it suddenly... even IF you happen to get an inkling of where it's headed beforehand.

Many people wrote and 'explained' Memento... all good theories, but I don't think there ever was an intended 'conclusion'... singular. Same with Predestination. You can theorize about it being a closed cycle occurring within a specific time frame BUT... I don't believe you can 'know' that. Nor are you meant to... even IF the author had a conclusive solution in mind.

So ok... sorry about all this... it's a topic far over my head, and even further beyond my ability to write about it. My point is: If you occasionally want to twist your brain into an unsolvable knot this movie should do the trick. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Anyone see the movie Predestination starring Ethan Hawke?

JamesJM270October 19, 2017 10:00PM