Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No.. I wasn't around then...

October 19, 2017 03:14PM
Or I WAS but I was like 3. I've lived that moment in 'review' a gazillion times... but first hand experience, no.

Actually my first real baseball memory was in 1960.. I was 12, or about to be anyway. My entire grammar school class was rooting for the Yankee's so obviously I picked the Pirates.

Ok, let me backtrack.. I DO have memories before that... Mantle, Mays, many memories.. but not truly 'concerned' memories. My first professional sporting event that I attended was the Cubs vs the Giants at Seal's stadium... I remember it VERY well... and to this day I also like the Cubs because of it. (I am rooting for the Dodgers in their recent series).

Don't need to explain this to you because I know you 'get it'... but never the less feel the need.. my first live game in person was the giants. I MET Mays and McCovy... on a personal level... almost an entire day - an old man who lived near me and that I knew somewhat well trained hunting dogs and sold Mays and McCovey some dogs - - - I was there that day. That was a HUGE moment for me.

I've never really had a 'favorite' baseball team... or for that matter been a lifelong baseball FAN.... it comes and goes... when I'm into it, I'm INTO it, heart and soul, and when not? Ehhh.

The 1975 Series won me over... I will FIGHT anyone who says that wasn't the greatest WS of all time. But then came the 'strikes'...baseball died for me.. NOT because I chose a side... players vs owners... I couldn't have cared less about that... they ripped my boyhood dreams from my soul. Baseball changed for me, in fact.. ALL sports changed for me because of those baseball strikes... eventually...

I came to live with it. Still don't like it.. but it's life.

VERY much a sidenote: My first true "Sports" Hero was John Thomas... high jumper. When that commie beat him in the 1960 Olympics THAT ripped my heart out. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Dodger fair-weather fan here, you should shun me...

JamesJM261October 19, 2017 02:28PM

Re: Dodger fair-weather fan here, you should shun me...

waterfield104October 19, 2017 02:55PM

No.. I wasn't around then...

JamesJM113October 19, 2017 03:14PM