Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Belmar...

June 30, 2017 10:47AM
JamesJM
I was stationed at Fort Monmouth in Eatontown. Belmar is dead on the coast. First home after I married. My wife and I were amazed that winter when it snowed on the beach... we had never heard of snow on a beach, an ocean beach.

Lot of good memories... and the coldest day I've ever suffered though in my life. Twice -

The first... (and are you from NJ, then tell me if this is possible.. it's how I remember it but it seems outlandish to me today).... not sure what the temp was this day but they were saying with the wind chill factor it was 17 below.. that sound possible to you, in NJ? I remember you could not face into the wind...felt like being stabbed in the face with a knife.

Also... and I think this was in Sept. Temp's were in the 80's but the humidity was ungodly. I was still in the barracks at this time. Every night we'd take our sheets to the laundry room and soak them to get thru the night. Sometimes getting up at 2 or 3 am to soak them again. One night we did this... soaked our sheets, and about 4am we woke up and it was friggin' in the 30's. Never saw a temp change like that in my life. Summer had ended, Winter began... from midnight to 4am.

My teenage years were spent on the beach at Belmar. High tide they had a drop off that was really deep....low tide was great. Man that was a long time ago, '77' -'81' time frame.

As far as the wind chill, we got lake effect wind chill from the north west and the ocean breeze that provided its own wind chill in the fall and winter. Couple the cold, wind chill and humidity, the air was like needles at times.

Fort Monmouth was east of me, I grew up mostly in Marlboro. The mall we used to hang out at was in Eatontown. Eatontown had a very good diner....I think on hwy 35.

Sorry about the reminiscing.

"Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work. - Vince Lombardi

“It’s not how you start that’s important, but how you finish!” ― Jim George
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Inaccurate photo of all the states I have visited... Attachments

JamesJM434June 28, 2017 09:12PM

Texas will welcome ya.....

sstrams175June 29, 2017 03:09AM

Re: Inaccurate photo of all the states I have visited...

73Ram192June 29, 2017 08:43AM

Belmar...

JamesJM186June 29, 2017 10:17AM

Re: Belmar...

73Ram219June 30, 2017 10:47AM

Do you still call Pizza a "pie"?

JamesJM171June 30, 2017 11:08AM

Re: Do you still call Pizza a "pie"?

73Ram202June 30, 2017 12:07PM

Thats Amore

IowaRam196June 30, 2017 01:13PM

just a few states I have been in.