Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I was there in, I think 2008?

July 21, 2016 10:48AM
JamesJM
drove the Blue Ridge and hiked a few trails but not on the Appalachian. Unfortunately, well not really, it was winter time. Late winter. It was still beautiful, but I would have preferred the lush green season. I was also there in 1969, during the green season, and remember it well, but did no hiking at that time.

The trail itself I have crossed many times... motorcycles trips twice and in a car several times... always Pennsylvania and south. I have never been to Vermont or New Hampshire and in Maine I only had a layover in Bangor so that doesn't count. frowning smiley It's possible I crossed it once in New York but I can't remember exactly where I traveled in New York.

During the 90's I made several plans to hike on the Appalachian, never the entire trail but 150 miles or so, but my plans never came to fruition.

I have taken several backpacking trips, overnighters with sleeping bag, and in several states - Alaska, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, but none very long. All my long treks have been in Calif.

In my elder years I'm not as keen on seeing 'the world' these days. Tired, I suppose is partly why, but it's also that wherever I have traveled I have loved, each place special, and each place impossible to 'know well' even if one spent their lifetime there. And so more accessible areas, proximity, appeal to me more because I know that even a hike lying no further than a 1.5 drive from my home will satisfy that need I have to get away and find solitude and beauty and that inner calling for 'adventure'.

You have been around and back again. Have always admired that about ya, Jimmy.

I, too, have past my adventurous prime. Am hoping to go to Europe this autumn, which will be a big deal for me, given the absence of foreign travels in a few years. Not sure where yet. Portugal, Spain and Britain probably top the list, though I'd love to see France and Ireland again.

Anyway . . . if it's not overseas, then I'll head for the mountains close to home -- or the ocean, or both. Ideal for me would be the two things combined. Mountains near my front yard; ocean in my backyard. Preferably, farmland for miles on both sides -- but that kind of thing is almost non-existent in America. If I had it to do all over again, that's where I would live. That dream spot, wherever it may be.

And, to make it an even greater dream spot . . . a view from a cliff above a cove, opening out onto the ocean, with twin mountain arms embracing that cove, but obviously not quite touch one another. If you've ever been to such a place, would greatly enjoy hearing about it. Closest to something like that for me was the spectacular Ring of Kerry in Ireland.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

ZN, from the Herd Board and hiking...

JamesJM984July 20, 2016 12:25PM

I have a friend... Attachments

sstrams603July 21, 2016 04:02AM

Re: I hiked portions as a Boy Scout.

Billy_T623July 21, 2016 06:32AM

I was there in, I think 2008?

JamesJM659July 21, 2016 07:31AM

Re: I was there in, I think 2008?

Billy_T604July 21, 2016 10:48AM

Kinda sounds like places in Thailand.. Attachments

sstrams582July 21, 2016 11:01AM

Re: Kinda sounds like places in Thailand..

Billy_T650July 21, 2016 01:13PM

I kinda have a mental block..

sstrams691July 21, 2016 01:36PM

Re: ZN, from the Herd Board and hiking...

zn629July 21, 2016 08:29PM

yes, I knew.....

JamesJM595July 21, 2016 09:17PM