Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bob Ross destroyed my life...

July 15, 2016 06:02AM
I've written about this before. Know Bob? he's that guy who has a 'how to paint' TV show.

I remember one episode where he scooped a glob of mixed paint onto a spatula, not a brush, then stood in front of the canvas making small circles in the air while explaining, "we want to use a sweeping motion in this area....." then quickly splashed the gob of paint on his spatula onto the canvas. PRESTO...

A tree, some pine cones, I think a squirrel or two. Perfection.

As I've said many times, I can't play the game "Hangman" because I can't even draw a stick figure... not even a 'bad' stick figure. I tried the glob of paint on a spatula thing.. gave it my best effort, mimicking Bob's motion exactly. I ended up with a green glob on my canvas that looked eerily like that gooey virus from the Andromeda Strain.

I recently clicked a link at the bottom of a Crazylegs email, Crazylegs from this board. He's a sculptor. Now were I a mature adult I would have emailed him back and said something like, "Just great work, you are a fantastic artist"... but I didn't email him back saying that... instead I thought, "You big fat jerk-face HOW do you do that?"

I'm the guy who when looking at kids' stuck to a refrigerator artwork thinks to myself, "smart-A$$ little showoff, how do you DO that?".

So anyway, back to Bob. Bob gave me doubts, that grew into paranoia.... because maybe, just maybe, what I think I can do well in life is just an illusion.. and that in reality I can't do anything in life any better than I can paint.

Thanks, Bob. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Bob Ross destroyed my life...

JamesJM2042July 15, 2016 06:02AM

Oh man would you dig this guy.. Attachments

sstrams766July 15, 2016 06:48AM

I like gaudy paintings...

JamesJM727July 15, 2016 07:09AM

As gaudy as a black velvet Elvis painting.. Attachments

sstrams759July 15, 2016 07:47AM