Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, saw Styx again last night..

April 14, 2023 08:20AM
in Grand Prairie Texas - just outside Dallas.. Styx takes a lot of guff over being pretentious and writing about silly themes and whatnot, but the band they have assembled right now is amazing..

They are stone cold killers onstage.. Obviously, Tommy Shaw still brings it like he has from day one - the whole band revolves around him, now, imo.. Amazing singer, good guitarist, wrote the majority of songs that made them who they were.. He threw me a pick during "too much time on my hands".. somehow I caught it and he gave me a thumbs up.. pretty cool..

James young - tall, brash dude..always has that goofy look on his face, but when he digs in for a solo, he's MUCH better than you think he's gonna be,,,

Ricky Phillips (bass) this guy is a legend, playing with the Baby's, Coverdale Page, Montrose and so many other bands I can't even remember them

The new guitarist Will: long time producer and friend of the band became a full fledged performing member a year or 2 ago.. Kind of a filler guitarist/singer cuz they DO do a LOT of 4-5 part harmonies.. We were close enough to Tommy Shaw's Mic so that I could hear HIM beating out the high harmonies all night.. No background tapes of these guys live..

Chuck Panozzo.. They bring out Chuck to play bass 3-4 songs every show.. original founding member twins with John Panozzo the drummer, who died years ago.. I have read Chuck is dying, so pretty cool they bring him out for a few songs..

Todd Sucherman - drums: First time I really watched him in depth and he is absolutely fantastic.. Legend in drumming circles, plays with traditional grip - amazings me that he is as FAST as he is with a traditional grip.. Just an outstand drummer..

Ok, Lawrence Gowan on Keys/vox.. Somebody hear mentioned they couldn't handle Dennis DeYoung not being in the band anymore - and I get that - but good God is Lawrence Gowan on talented guy.. I swear if you didn't know DeYoung wasn't with the band, you'd THINK Gowan was DeYoung.. looks like him, sings EXACTLY like him, imo is a MUCH better piano/keyboardist, really energizes the show,, plays piano/keys and solos behind him while the the board is rotating.. His piano solo (by himself) was flat out amazing.. Plus he's easy to get along with and supposedly a HUGE star in Canada.. On the last tinger of the lastsong he ran in front of me and I gave him the "we're not worthy" arm thingy and he laughed through the mic.. Always a good time..

Anyways, great show by Styx, as always.. Not enough production, in my opinion, but they let the music do the talking and you KNOW every song they play..

Friendship is like peeing your pants.. Everybody can see it, but only you can feel the warmth..

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

So, saw Styx again last night..

sstrams305April 14, 2023 08:20AM

Was a big Styx fan growning up

SeattleRam106April 14, 2023 09:29AM

Can I ask why you don't..

sstrams160April 14, 2023 09:50AM

Yeah Huge fan of Styx but miss DeYoung

ferragamo7977April 16, 2023 08:53AM

Totally get that...

sstrams78April 16, 2023 09:07AM

Didn't they reconcile briefly not TOO long ago?? I remember watching the VH1 special...

Ramgator73April 23, 2023 02:35AM

They were doing what was called a Texxas Jam in Dallas..

sstrams66April 23, 2023 04:51AM

I saw a clip of their Theatrical Production, back in the 80s....

Ramgator59April 23, 2023 07:22AM

I saw about a ten second clip..

sstrams54April 23, 2023 08:12AM

CRAP! I had no idea he's as old as he is! 76???

Ramgator74April 23, 2023 02:37AM

I think Todd may have more YouTube videos...

JamesJM94April 14, 2023 12:14PM

Yeah, I know he has his own site.....

sstrams99April 14, 2023 12:42PM

Re: So, saw Styx again last night..

SeattleRam73April 22, 2023 11:03PM

just love the instruments on that

ferragamo7969April 26, 2023 07:47AM

Lady

SeattleRam60May 09, 2023 06:25AM

Cool story..

sstrams63May 09, 2023 08:07AM