Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I dabble in 3 languages..

February 04, 2023 07:41AM
Spanish, German, and English.. I know enough Spanish to get us through all our trips to Mexico: hello, goodbye, how much does this cost, thank you, you're welcome, where is so and so etc.. I know a few words that would be inappropriate..

German I knew a tad because my mom's family were all German.. My greatest language moment was on our honeymoon, where we stayed at a German resort in Mexico.. So, Germans would say something to a Spanish speaking worker who only spoke Spanish.. I'd understand the German, sorta translate it to English, then try to say it in Spanish to the worker.. I wished I had a transcript of what was initially asked and what I actually delivered..

I tried Babble during covid.. was gonna REALLY buckle down on Spanish, but I gave up after 2-3 weeks.. I didn't think the course was put together very well.. Yeah, you learn some Spanish words, then you throw them into a sentence - but you don't know what the other words are in the sentence.. totally confusing..

I HAVE learned, in all my travel around the world, that you CAN actually always get your point across, no matter what language you are trying to communicate in.. The trick is to speak english, but very slowly and much louder than you normally do.. making wild hand gestures usually seals the deal..

Friendship is like peeing your pants.. Everybody can see it, but only you can feel the warmth..

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Steve's 'Too late in life' thought....

JamesJM56February 04, 2023 06:49AM

I dabble in 3 languages..

sstrams35February 04, 2023 07:41AM

I think you're probably right about Babble....

JamesJM43February 04, 2023 07:48AM

That's kind of what I was trying to do..

sstrams39February 04, 2023 07:52AM