January 19, 2023 01:43PM
I didn't know much about him as a solo artist but loved him when he performed as part of Crosby, Stills & Nash and later Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. I had this album in my collection when I was in college (who didn't??) -I just loved their sound and the fact that their music had a message (most music in those days did!).

To tell the truth, I'm more surprised that he lived to the age of 81 'cause he lived kinda hard, did he not?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David Crosby, co-founder of Crosby, Stills & Nash, The Byrds, dies at 81, reports say
Charles Trepany
USA TODAY

David Crosby, a rock icon who rose to fame in the 1960s as a founding member of both The Byrds and Crosby, Stills & Nash (later known as Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young), has died. He was 81.

Crosby's wife Jan Dance announced his death Thursday in a statement to Variety. A source close to Crosby confirmed the news to Rolling Stone.

"It is with great sadness after a long illness that our beloved David (Croz) Crosby has passed away," the statement says. "He was lovingly surrounded by his wife and soulmate Jan and son Django. Although he is no longer here with us, his humanity and kind soul will continue to guide and inspire us.

"His legacy will continue to live on through his legendary music. Peace, love, and harmony to all who knew David and those he touched. We will miss him dearly."

She thanked fans for their love and asked for privacy "as we grieve and try to deal with our profound loss."

In July 2021, the Rock & Roll Hall of Famer spoke with USA TODAY on the cusp of releasing his eighth solo album, “For Free.”

"80 is not a number you celebrate, darling," Crosby joked. "Being old is not something to celebrate in general."

Crosby also reflected on tackling mortality in the album's closing track. His son James, with whom he reunited in the 1990s after putting him up for adoption in 1962, wrote it.

"It’s a beautiful song, isn’t it? I’ve had a bunch of friends call me weeping (after they heard it)," he said. "My son James wrote that. He was a good (songwriter) when I met him, and we started writing together right away. But he’s at least as good as I am, if not better."

'Being old is not something to celebrate':David Crosby releases new album on the cusp of 80

Crosby battled a series of health challenges, including three heart attacks, a liver transplant, diabetes and tendonitis. A regular presence on Twitter, Crosby often interacted with fans, tweeting Wednesday about topics including the arrest of climate activist Greta Thunberg and his favorite Beatles song ("Eleanor Rigby"winking smiley.

He famously served as a sperm donor to Melissa Etheridge and her former partner Julie Cypher. Their son Beckett Cypher died in 2020 at age 21 from opioid addiction.

[www.usatoday.com]

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RIP David Crosby

RAMbler116January 19, 2023 01:13PM

This is turning into a bad year..

sstrams65January 19, 2023 01:31PM

Re: RIP David Crosby

MamaRAMa76January 19, 2023 01:43PM

still have that record Mama...a classic

ferragamo7946January 19, 2023 05:22PM

Man! He probably lived on 30 years of borrowed time.

Ramgator56January 19, 2023 02:16PM

And the Byrds. I always loved "Tambourine Man" and "Turn Turn Turn". nm

Ramgator84January 19, 2023 02:18PM