Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It's Crazy Watching The Charger/9'er Game

November 13, 2022 06:32PM
Shelled out $800 to watch the game today at SoFi.

I think the only real benefit of it was that I got a chance to see the Ram defensive alignment snap-in and snap-out - especially its secondary coverage.

It was my observation that the Rams appeared to deploy some type of hybrid concept. What I mean by that is that it appeared as though Arizona would line up one WR on one side of the field and two others on the opposite. The WR by himself would typically see tight coverage (won't call it "press" as once the ball was snapped I followed the ball and couldn't tell what happened thereafter). The DB's on the opposite side of the field generally played off the LOS (anywhere from 8 - 10 yards). Gonna assume they had specific areas to cover?

It seemed as though every DB got their turn in the barrel (i.e. lined up tight).

Anyone know what this type of defense might be that I saw?

Anyways, now back at home, I'm watching the Charger/9'er game to see if there are any similarities. Through the TV angles, it appears as though what Staley is doing defensively is very similar to what I saw at SoFi. What appears different, though, is that Derwin James and Kyle Van Noy always appear to be coming downhill and knifing through gaps.

The Chargers, overall, are a much better tackling team than the Rams. Playing off of the 9'ers isn't as big of a deal for them as they not only lay a hat on you...they wrap up as well.

On the 9'ers side...

They clearly play us differently than every other team in the league. Even with Khalil Mack providing a steady rush, Shanny allows Jimmy G to take 5-step drops to let intermediate routes develop (which he can't regularly take advantage of).

It's crazy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2022 06:34PM by ramBRO.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

It's Crazy Watching The Charger/9'er Game

ramBRO339November 13, 2022 06:32PM

Re: It's Crazy Watching The Charger/9'er Game

Ekern55105November 13, 2022 08:51PM