Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jalen Ramsey urged Raheem Morris to play Ernest Jones last season

September 27, 2022 08:48AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Jalen Ramsey urged Raheem Morris to play Ernest Jones last season

Cameron DaSilva
September 27, 2022 7:20 am PT

Ernest Jones played a key role in helping the Los Angeles Rams win Super Bowl LVI last season. Though he didn’t become a starter until Week 8, he played well when he was given a bigger role on defense. He shined in the Super Bowl, too, recording seven tackles (two for a loss), three QB hits and a sack in the Rams’ win.

Jalen Ramsey knew early on that he was going to be special. Despite only being a third-round rookie, Jones caught the attention of Ramsey and some teammates during the season – to the point where Ramsey and others urged Raheem Morris to play Jones.

“I remember last year, a couple of us, we were going to Rah like, ‘Hey, Ernest is gonna be the one. Ernest gotta play. You gotta put him in there. Ernest gotta play,’” Ramsey said on his podcast, “Straight off the Press.”

During the offseason, Ramsey also pounded the table for another guy: Bobby Wagner. He knew that if the Rams brought in Wagner, he would not only help the entire team, but specifically Jones.

“I’m like, we gotta get Bobby Wagner because what Bobby Wagner is gonna do for this team and not only this team, but what Bobby Wagner is gonna do for Ernest Jones,” he said.

Wagner, who was a guest on the podcast, chimed in by saying how he was looking forward to playing alongside the second-year linebacker.

“I was really excited to play with Ernest,” Wagner said.

Jones and Wagner have formed an awesome tandem in the middle of the Rams’ defense. Wagner is essentially playing every snap, but Jones has still played 66% of the plays, too. They’ve both been used as blitzers at times and have stepped up as run defenders, also proving capable in coverage.

The Rams have an excellent pairing on their hands with Wagner and Jones, and Ramsey is one of the many people who knew that combination would work out in a positive way.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Jalen Ramsey urged Raheem Morris to play Ernest Jones last season

BerendsenRam150September 27, 2022 08:48AM

I think I like that about Ramsey...

JamesJM89September 27, 2022 08:56AM