Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Trey Lance is not good on game film…

May 27, 2022 11:29AM
Actually, SF beat Houston 23 - 7 and were down at the half, at home, to the same team the Rams were up 38 - 0. Is it way too early to make a conclusive assessment of Lance based on 2021? Of course. He may turn out to be Mahomes II. All the author said was that he struggled so far.

I watched all of Lance's starts last year, and what I saw was a rookie who, if his first look was covered, immediately left the pocket. Again, this is to be expected. He has played very little college ball and (as you said) 10 quarters of professional football. He was also a consensus third or fourth QB in his class behind Wilson and Lawrence, both of whom had relatively disappointing freshman campaigns. Again, that means little, but I saw no one who had Lance ahead of those two pre-draft.

You can have the strongest arm on the planet and run a 4.4 40 yard dash, and it doesn't matter a whit when it comes to being a consistent NFL quarterback. A quarterback has to be able to mentally assess the position and velocity of 21 other players on the field in approximately 1 and a half seconds, and make a decision based on the position and velocity of those players. A great pro day throwing on air, a cannon for an arm, and the ability to race past LBs plays no role in that process. Even being great on the white board does not guarantee success. Some guys are great at that (Brady, Brees, Stafford, Rodgers), and some guys are average to below average. That's the difference between a Danial Jones and a Patrick Mahomes.

You can bet teams like the Rams will do their best to confuse him, disguise coverages, and take away his first read. Then we will see if he can sit in the pocket, make reads, and delivery the football. If he maintains his inclination to run too early, he will not lead the 49ers very far. I hope he never masters the necessary skills, and he showed last year that he has much work to do. But I think the article was accurate for what it stated, and no one should read more into that what it actually says.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2022 11:34AM by LBRamsFan.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Trey Lance is not good on game film…

Rams43516May 27, 2022 08:52AM

This is good

NewMexicoRam268May 27, 2022 09:02AM

GroundPounder169May 27, 2022 10:21AM

LBRamsFan126May 27, 2022 11:29AM

Ramstien120May 27, 2022 12:59PM

I'm a goin out on a limb - Trey, 'bad day' Lance is done

Coy Bacon141May 27, 2022 12:21PM

Re: I'm a goin out on a limb - Trey, 'bad day' Lance is done

Rams43133May 27, 2022 02:30PM

Re: I'm a goin out on a limb - Trey, 'bad day' Lance is done

Leoram94May 28, 2022 03:07AM