Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Transcripts 1/30/22

January 31, 2022 08:04AM
Los Angeles Rams vs. San Francisco 49ers Transcripts - Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Rams QB Matthew Stafford, 49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan, 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo - January 30, 2022
Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Rams QB Matthew Stafford, 49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan, 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo
Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening Statement)
“First of all, so much respect for the 49ers. It's a great team. (49ers Head) Coach (Kyle) Shanahan does an excellent job. They're tough and physical, they fight until the end. It took everything we had. But I'm so proud of our group. So proud of our players, our coaches. Just proud to be associated with these guys. So many special men in that locker room. And love this team. We've got one more. But today was a great sign of resilience. We talked about that's one of the things that's kind of embodied this group. You go down 17-7, doesn't look good. But the guys just stayed in the moment. One play at a time. Did a great job. Defense to be able to close it out, especially after the last time we played them, the way that went. There were just so many great plays today by great players, and just really happy to be associated with these guys and we've got one more.”

(On to end that game that way based off how the team’s been built)
“I think it's a great sign of the stars shine the brightest when they needed to. And also guys stepping up when they were asked to. (Lcool smiley T(ravin) Howard has done a great job over the last month. (Linebackers Coach) Chris Shula has been outstanding with him. And another guy that just comes to mind as you ask that question is you look at (TE) Kendall Blanton. You lose (TE) Tyler Higbee, such an instrumental part of our offense and he stepped in. (Tight Ends/Pass Game Coordinator) Wes Phillips does such a great job. All hands on deck. Everybody was ready to go. There were so many key contributors today. Like I said, I’m just so proud of this group.”

(On how it felt to get their first win in seven games against the 49ers)
“We didn't really look at it like that. We looked at just being in this moment, taking care of this game today. It was the NFC Championship. Huge game. Our guys did a great job. And each game is its own separate entity. And I'm really just happy those guys got it done today.”

(Inaudible)
“Thought (WR) Odell (Beckham Jr.) was outstanding today. To be able to go over 100 (yards). He had some key and critical catches to be able to extend drives. The one down the left sideline where they were playing split safety, kind of reading the coverage. And the (Inaudible) player didn't get over the top, and he ends up adding on an extra 15 with the late hit. He's such a special player, so smart, so talented, so gifted. And he's brought such a charisma and presence and really a swag to our team. Love Odell. Really just happy for him.

(On how much the running game opened things up in the first half)
“How about this music? Let's keep it quick. I got to get in there. It did. I thought (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) ran hard and I thought (Rcool smiley Sony (Michel) had some tough runs that he leveled off. I thought he was able to open up some big windows in the pass game. And I thought our guys did a great job being able to mix up the tempo, apply pressure to an outstanding defense where they've been really teeing off on guys. I’m so proud of our offensive line. I thought they held up really tough, battled really every single snap. And you look at that front, they rotate eight guys through. They're outstanding. (49ers Defensive Coordinator) DeMeco Ryans does a great job, (49ers Defensive Line Coach) Kris Kocurek. We knew what a challenge it would be. The run game was very key and critical, even though it was tough, hard-earned yards to set other things up, no doubt about it.”

(On going out and trading for QB Matthew Stafford)
“What do you think the answer to that question is? Here's what I would say, We went out and got him because we thought it was a chance to be able to get a great player of his magnitude. Those things don't come around often. What he's done, he's elevated everybody around him. He's made me a better coach. He's made his teammates better. He's such a great person. I think you guys know from getting a chance to interact with him. If you don't root for this guy, something's wrong with you. He's a great competitor. We've seen that, really, throughout the season. But I think it's really been on display these last couple weeks. We talk about competitive greatness all the time. Being your best when your best was required. He embodied competitive greatness today. Love (Qcool smiley Matthew Stafford.”

(On if there was any extra urgency and how much the rivalry come into play)
“I think the respect for each other came into the game and we knew what a physical game it would be. I thought our guys did a great job controlling their emotions. We didn't have anything where you're giving them something cheap, and I was proud of that. And our guys came, they had a good look in their eye, really, the last couple of weeks, but especially this week. They knew it was its own separate entity from the previous games, and they came out here and delivered in a big way.”

(On this being unchartered territory for Stafford and what ways has Stafford risen to the moment)
“I think he's played like he's capable of. Risen? I think he's played like we thought he would. No moment's too big for him, I can tell you that much. He's elevating everybody around him. We've got one more. We know it's going to be a great challenge. So happy for (Bengals Head Coach) Zac Taylor and the Bengals, what a tough, resilient group they are. So happy for Matthew, (OL) Andrew Whitworth and (DL) Aaron Donald. So many guys I'm so happy for, (Ccool smiley Jalen Ramsey. We've got some more work to do.”

(On his initial thoughts on playing Zac Taylor)
“Really, congratulations to them for winning the AFC. You look at the start of that game, I think they're a great, resilient team. It didn't look good for them and they've just continued to show why they're a mentally tough outfit. I think that's reflected by their head coach. I know what a great coach he is. They've done a great job this year. We've crossed over with him a little bit, but I'm looking forward to diving into the tape, figuring out how to put together a good game plan to try to see if we can finish this thing off.”

(On WR Cooper Kupp)
“(WR) Cooper Kupp is amazing. He's such a special player. I talked about Matthew, the competitive greatness. Cooper was that today. Just big catch after big catch. He's competing in the run game. He does so many things. We'd have no chance of being here without Cooper Kupp.”

(On the team's defense there and being clutch there)
“(Defensive Coordinator) Raheem Morris, outstanding coach. He's special. His poise in the crunch time moments is on display. Thought he made some great calls. I thought he put our guys in great spots. They ultimately delivered. Raheem is one of the best competitors, such a great charisma and presence. During the games, he's so steady and even-keeled, I think that's why you saw our guys reflect that, where we had some things that were kind of uncharacteristic, some miscommunication. He got connected with the group. Got it communicated the way we wanted to be able to handle it, and they closed it. Huge credit to Raheem Morris. So grateful for him. He's a stud.”

(On does it make it doubly sweet for it to end in this way against this team in that manner)
“I wouldn't say that. We knew – I think we knew what a great team this was. But you guys think it might just be coach-speak, but our guys genuinely knew, ‘Hey, we're familiar with this opponent but the previous six games where we didn't find a way to finish have nothing to do with what's going to occur at 3:30 or 3:40 when we kick this thing off.’ Those are separate entities. Our guys did a great job of being able to compartmentalize. We always talk about being totally and completely present, having a short memory from the good and the bad, being able to hit that reset button. I thought our guys did that in a big way. (I’m) looking forward to enjoying this and then being able to get back to work. Grateful to be working still and love this team.”

(On what’s his take on being the second team in history)
“I think it's special. I thought the fans were outstanding today. To be able to play at home, you know, in this house that (Owner/Chairman) Mr. (E. Stanley) Kroenke built, this iconic venue is unique. A little bit easier travel schedule for us since we travel all over the country during the course of the year for the most part. So, just so happy for this group, proud to be associated with it.”

Rams QB Matthew Stafford
(On how it feels right now)
“I'm just so proud of this group. We've had high expectations all year. Done nothing but do everything in our power to try and meet those. It's a driven group we have in there. This game wasn't perfect. It wasn't easy in some spots, but we found a way to win the game. That's what it's all about. I'm just happy and proud to be a part of this group. And we got some more work left to do.”

(Inaudible)
“I was obviously excited. A lot of change was about to happen for me and my family. That was probably my biggest thought at the moment, was excitement to come play with this group of players and coaching staff. These guys worked so hard. At the same time knowing it's going to be a big move and a lot of change. It's been a great thing for us. Just happy that I'm here and happy to be part of it.”

(On how much confidence he has in his receivers)
“Yeah, they’re great. Those two guys did an unbelievable job tonight. I got to give a lot of credit to (TE) Kendall Blanton, too. Stepping up when (TE Tyler) Higs (Higbee) went down and making some big-time plays for us was pretty awesome. Just proud of everybody. Goes across the board. And there's guys that made plays to help us win this game both offensively and defensively. But those guys at receiver stepped up and played great tonight, there’s no question about that.”

(On how tonight was different than last week in terms of approach)
“Had to make some plays to get down there. Now you're trying to make sure they don't have a whole lot of time. Second-down play took a sack -- wish I could have gotten that ball out maybe. Made them burn a timeout. But at the same time, wish we would have put seven up there. Would have felt a lot better sitting on the sideline. But I have so much trust in our defense and so much faith in those guys. They went out there, did their thing and got the win.”

(On what was going through his mind at the end)
“I don't know. I just wanted to win. And I was just -- when you're not able to go out there and do it, it's almost more nerve-racking for a player. So, I was just pulling for our guys, pulling for our team to go out there and make the plays and they did. And it's awesome.”

(Inaudible)
“I wasn't thinking I was going to do that. It just happened. Long time coming. Spent a lot of years in this league and loved every minute of it. I feel blessed to be able to play in this league for as long as I have. But I sure am happy for this opportunity for not only myself but really so many guys in that locker room that deserve this too. That's what it is. It's an opportunity to go out there and win another one.”

(Inaudible)
“That's the question of the year. He's been unbelievable for us all year. Huge on third down. Huge in big plays. Got blocks. Does everything. Great teammate. We're all lucky to be able to play with him. And just so happy for his success. And his success helps us succeed as well. So, it's great.”

(Inaudible)
“I don't know that I ever thought about what I would be feeling at this moment. I probably just sat there and just wished I could be in those games. I'm so happy that I've got the opportunity to be in them. And I'm going to have an opportunity to be in another one that I've always wanted to play in. I don't know. I'm excited for these guys and looking forward for the opportunity.”

(Inaudible)
“It was good. I thought we did a nice job. Our guys up front played great all night. We asked them to protect a bunch. We threw the ball quite a few times tonight, tried to get it out quick, tried taking some shots and getting it out quick. Those guys played unbelievable, that's a great front. That front is as good as it gets in the league. Just proud of those guys the way they played. (OL Andrew) Whit's (Whitworth) out there, battling. All those guys are battling through something. Just so proud of the way they played.”

(On the embrace with his wife, Kelly Stafford)
“Yeah, she's fired up. And I couldn't have done it without her. She's an unbelievable part of my life. I'm so lucky to be with her and have the children that I have and the family that I have. It's the best part of my life. This is great, but that’s so much better. To share that moment with her was so cool. She's been through a lot of that with me. And we've leaned on each other at separate times to help ourselves get through whatever we're having to get through. She's special to me and I’m so glad I got to spend that time with her.”

(On what his take is on hosting the Super Bowl)
“It's great that it's here. If we’re playing in it, I don't give a hell where we're at. I don't give a (expletive) where it is. I just want to play in the dang thing. But the fact that it's under this roof, it's going to be awesome. Our fans did an unbelievable job tonight making it a tough environment. It's nice to send some of those red jerseys home. That was cool.”

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan
(Opening Statement)
“Alright, guys. Injuries from the game: We had (49ers Lcool smiley Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles (have) a knee and didn't return and (49ers LB Dre) Greenlaw – calf – did not return.”

(On if he can put his feelings right now into words and what was it like in the locker room just now)
“Guys were hurting. Obviously, I think everyone can guess how we feel. I'm so proud of those guys. I love this team. Every year is a different team and this is as cool of a team as I've ever been a part of. And came up short today, and that's a part of sports and a part of life, and you got to deal with it. So those guys are hurting now. But they'll rebound and we'll be stronger for it.”

(On why he’s so proud of his team)
“Just the character of everybody, just the people. We keep saying it over and over, but we do really like each other in there. And just the personalities, how we fight for each other. The style that we played with the whole year. That’s something that I'm very proud of as a coach. Because you can say anything you want, but if you don't have the right people, it doesn't really matter. And those guys do things the right way and I wish I had another game with them.”

(On if there was an issue happening in the last two offensive series)
“Yeah, the one we just didn't get the snap off. I don't think (49ers C) Alex (Mack) could hear or there was something. He ended up making a signal, and I – when he made the signal, he didn't know how little time was on the clock. Another one, we didn't have a messed up substitution. We subbed right, but the guy ended up going out to the wrong side. And so, we had guys on the wrong side.”

(On if there was a delay)
“Yeah, that's what ended up happening.”

(On how close they were to going for it on fourth down when they ended up punting instead and what was the though process)
“We were never thinking about going for that. (I) thought the game was exactly the game we wanted up to the second-and-one. The second-and-one, been thinking about that for a long time. And then the third-and-two, that next play. We were just trying to draw them off. We knew we were going to punt. We weren't going to go for it there at midfield on fourth-and-two. And then the play right after that, just the chance to get the pick. Those three plays in a row that we had our opportunities, and we didn't come through on those three plays. And after that, it kind of changed into a game we didn't like as much.”

(On why he didn’t want to go to it on four-and-two)
“We just didn't want to. We were up three points and didn't think it was the right decision.”

(On what does he mean when he said his been thinking about the second-and-one)
“Those are just some timing. All plays affect a game. But I just know how it was before those two downs and where we were at and having the lead. And I thought we were moving down the field pretty good to get to second-and-one. And it didn't feel like they were going to stop us and came up short there, lost a yard. And they blew it up on short yardage on third-and-two. So those are two huge plays that – we almost got a chance to get it right back and we missed that pick, and those guys got going and got in that rhythm.”
(On did 49ers LT Trent Williams have a high-ankle sprain)
“(49ers LT) Trent (Williams) is unbelievable. There's so many different components of a high-ankle sprain that's why I can't just answer your guys' questions on whether it or isn't. It's the kind that gave him the chance to play. It was tough for him. But he worked his ass off all work around the clock rehabbing. I saw him hurting out there a little bit. But from what I saw, he played his (expletive) off today and he was one of the main reasons we were at this point.”

(On the last interception if he minded that QB Jimmy Garopollo threw the football or would he have wanted him to do something else)
“I don't think he could have done anything else. On the first down he went to the right spot. We got the ball tipped. I think by 91 (DL Greg Gaines). On the second down, they manned everyone up and he tried to throw it away to the flat and, unfortunately, we lost three yards on it. Third-and-13, it just looked like (DL) Aaron (Donald) got in there fast and tried to break away, and tried not to take a sack to make it fourth-and-20 or whatever it would have been. And that happens. You get in a situation there and those guys are going to tee off and I thought we had a great chance of not getting into that situation. But credit to them and that's why they're still playing.”

(On if there was an emphasis to tell everyone to not let up when they went ahead by 10 points with TE George Kittle)
“Yeah, we emphasize that every second. Guys didn't let up, they made a hell of a play on short yardage and got an opportunity to get it back and they didn't get many opportunities after that.”

(On if it was more about the plays the Rams made or the plays his team were not able to make in the fourth quarter)
“Both. That's football. When they make a good play, that's congratulations to them. And when we don't, I still believe we can. But that is a good team. We gave them a number of opportunities, they gave us a number of opportunities. And I told you guys the ones I thought we missed that I thought were the difference. And you give those guys too many, and eventually they're going to make them. After that missed pick, that opportunity we had, just hitting (WR) Odell (Beckham Jr.) down the sidelines, they got a cover two hole big, and then getting (WR Cooper) Kupp on those third downs on those choice routes. And that's what they've been doing all year. Slow them down for a while, and I thought we had them on the ropes. But you still got to make the plays, we got to get it done. And we were a little short on that.”

(On what was with the offensive run game and only having 50 yards)
“No. Same as usual how they always play it. We didn't do as good on third down than I thought we did the last two times earlier this year. They held the ball so well in the first half and they did unbelievable on first downs. So that was similar to the last time we played them. But in order to get that run game going with how they're playing, I thought we were going to have to do better on third down.”

(On if he got a chance to speak to 49ers S Jaquiski Tartt)
“I haven't got a chance to talk to him. But I talk to everybody. (49ers S Jaquiski) Tartt has done a lot of good things. I thought he was one of the best players on the field last week (against) Green Bay. I love him being on our team since I've been here. And I know he's disappointed in that drop that he had, but there's a lot of other plays in the game. And I'm very happy that Tartt's on our team this year.”

(On if he feels like they won the battle in the trenches in that fourth quarter)
“They stopped us on second-and-one, third-and-two. So they won those two plays.”

(On if this was Garoppolo’s last game at quarterback, what does he have to say about Garoppolo and what he’s done for the 49ers)
“I love (49ers Qcool smiley Jimmy (Garoppolo). I'm not going to sit here and make a farewell statement or anything right now, that's the last stuff on my mind. But Jimmy has battled his (expletive) off. He battled today. And he did some unbelievable things today and I love coaching Jimmy.”

(On what he said to Head Coach Sean McVay and if he’s happy for McVay)
“No, I'm not happy (laughs). But, yeah, I respect the hell out of those guys. (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) is a good friend and (Defensive Coordinator) Raheem (Morris) is a very good friend. And I'm definitely not happy that they beat us. But those guys always pull for a win, that has nothing to do with the Niners.”

(On what was the message to the team)
“Just the same I said to you guys. There’s not much to say. I was extremely proud of the guys. And no one wants to hear anything right now. We know what the situation is and we're hurting. You put yourself out there and you expect to come through. I think everyone in that locker room expected to win the game all the way to the end. And you got to grieve that a little bit. But we'll grieve it and I truly always believe you get stronger from all good things and all tough things. And we got some strong guys in that room. And I think this will make us stronger.”

(On what's next for them, how long does he focus on this game and what is he trying to embrace next)
“I'll start thinking about that on the plane, setting up our exit meetings, stuff like that. Seeing what the combine is going to be. Plan an offseason schedule. I don't – I've literally done zero of that stuff and didn't plan on thinking about it until a couple weeks from now. So when I'm done with this, I'll probably start thinking about it.”

(On the end of the season never feeling good, but does this one feel different because his team was 5-3 and they were counted out so many times)
“Not totally. The NFL seasons are always emotional, always tough. And it's just a grind for everybody. I'm a lot more proud of us this year. I was proud of us, too, last year. I wasn't proud of our record, but I was proud of a lot of things that we went through and persevered through. And you can evaluate it all and try to find a way to come back and be better.”

49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo
(On his emotions with the hug outside the locker room with 49ers General Manager John Lynch and what he is feeling)
“Like you'd imagine, it was tough. But, you know, a hell of a game out there. That's a good team. Tip your hat to the Rams, but it was an emotional locker room like you'd expect. It's a tough one.”

(On how the week was and how it felt to lead his team to an NFC Championship)
“I just love this team. I've said it before to you guys, but everything we've been through started with the offseason into training camp. It was a roller coaster of a year. It really was. We fought through it. Good team – we're a resilient team and that's what good teams do, fight through things like that, and come out better on the other end from it.”

(On what was going on with the team’s closings the last two games)
“Some bad execution. It didn't work out the way we wanted it to. There are a million things. I won't get into all of them, but, yeah, that's a tough way to end it. Especially the way we battled the whole game. We knew it was going to be a dogfight. It always is against these guys. It's a tough one.”

(On how this could be one of his last games with the 49ers and how those emotions affect this moment)
“They hit pretty hard in the locker room. I think these next couple of days, it will really start to settle in a little bit. Emotions are high after a game, a win, or a loss. It's just one of those things you got to be glad it happened. Just smile from it and think about the good things. We'll see what happens in these next couple of days, weeks, whatever, but I love this team. The fight and the battle of this team throughout the entire year has been really impressive and I love these guys.”

(On how does this loss compare to anything he’s experienced in his career)
“It's tough, it's tough. It's probably a little different than most of them. Just how much we put into this year. Since the last time we played the Rams, the injury list that guys have played through during the playoffs this run, it's insane. I'm sure every team is going through it, but when it's your team and you're in it with them, you see it firsthand, (49ers T) Trent Williams, (49ers Rcool smiley Elijah Mitchell, the list goes – (49ers WR) Deebo (Samuel). The list goes on and on. It's impressive what we accomplished. Obviously, we came up short but it was a fun year.”

(On if he noticed anything the Rams were doing differently this game)
“They had a couple of new things in the run game. Coverages were a little different, too. When you play a team for the third time, you got to expect something like that.”

(On the decision to punt on fourth and two, how did he feel about that)
“That's not my decision to make. Whatever (49ers Head Coach) Kyle (Shanahan) decides, it's his decision, his choice.”

(On how he managed the pressure and expectations)
“I don't know. I don't know. A lot of good people around me. A lot of good people in this organization, players. Just people in general. Surround yourself with good people and good things will take care of themselves.”

(On how special the 49ers roster is)
“It's very unique. I think every team kind of says that, but when you meet these guys and get to know them like brothers, it's a great group. It's a great group. Love being with them every day battling, fighting, going to war with these guys. It was a fun year.”

(On how he felt Samuel’s effectiveness was overall during the game)
“I thought it was good. You have to tip your hat to that guy. His conditioning is outrageous. To do what he does; kickoff return, running back, receiver, everything. He had an incredible catch and run today on that screen. I thought he played his ass off. He has all playoffs, all season. He’s one of those guys I love to have in the foxhole.”

(On how the 49ers pulled it out when nobody was necessarily talking about them)
“That's kind of our year in a nutshell. We were three and five at one point. People wrote us off. We just kept fighting. That's what good teams do. That's what tight brothers do and I got no regrets from this year.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Transcripts 1/30/22

Shaky250January 31, 2022 08:04AM