Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Transcripts 1/21/22

January 21, 2022 02:19PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, WR Odell Beckham Jr. - January 21, 2022
Head Coach Sean McVay, WR Odell Beckham Jr.
Head Coach Sean McVay
(On if the evolution of both teams in Week 3 is due to the changes in player personnel or the way that teams grow over the course of the season)
“I think it's both. I think both teams have kind of navigated through a lot of different guys having to step up. I think the depth of both of our rosters has shown to be strengths. But I think like any other year, when you talk about from Week 3 to now representing our 18th – or excuse me – our 19th game, there's a lot that changes in the midst of it. And you've got stuff that you're doing schematically that you want to build off of and making sure that you're aware of your self scout, then what is the opposing team doing? So I think just as the season goes on, there's inevitable changes that occur both personnel-wise, but then I think the evolution of landscape of the league and how each team scheme evolves and how that dictates and determines how we want to attack them and how they want to attack us in the different phases.”

(On what he says to his defense before going up against a Buccaneers QB Tom Brady and a banged up Buccaneers offense and the impact he thinks the pass rush can have on this game)
“Well, I think the best way to affect the quarterback is with your pass rush and moving him off the spot. But the thing about (Buccaneers Qcool smiley Tom (Brady) that makes him so special is he processes things, his mind works so quickly. And then, he's one of the best guys that has a feel for moving, manipulating the pocket and being able to find quick element throws, hip protections, breakdown. And so, that's been one of the many things that makes him so special, but it's got to be patient. We've got to make sure that we're consistent and all 11 being on the same page.”

(On RB Darrell Henderson Jr., DB Robert Rochell and DL Sebastian Joseph-Day being designated for return and their gameday statuses along with LB Ernest Jones)
“So, really it just made sense to start that 21-day clock with all three of those guys. Whether that means they'll ever be able to return or not – if we're able to extend our season – it kind of remains to be seen. But they're working hard, doing a great job with their rehab with (Vice President, Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie and his group. It was great to get (Lcool smiley Ernest (Jones) on the field yesterday. He looked really good. He's still, probably, one week away. So, I don't expect Ernest Jones to be able to play this week, but he looked good. It was great to have his energy and just him out there on the field with the rest of the guys. But if we're fortunate enough to extend our season, then I think next week looks like a likely possibility for him with those other three. We'll just take it day to day.”

(On if Henderson, Rochell and Joseph-Day gave a chance to be active this week)
“No. None of those guys have a chance this week.”

(On injury updates of OL Andrew Whitworth and S Taylor Rapp)
“Both those guys will be out. They'll be out for the game.”

(On Rapp’s concussion situation being serious to be out for two games)
“Without getting into the specifics, it's just kind of clearing that last hurdle when you get the physical toll and things like that. And so can't be safe or smart enough with these things. And I know the one thing for (S) Taylor (Rapp) is he's doing everything in his power to get back and be out there with his guys. And he's a great, tough competitor, but these are things that we know how serious they can be. And I do feel like, hopefully after next week, we'll get some positive news if we are able to continue our season and maybe returns next week.”

(On snap count estimates for DB Eric Weddle heading into the Buccaneers matchup)
“It's always based on some of the game plan things and the different situations that arise. But I think it was great for (Dcool smiley Eric (Weddle) – and he was going to play more snaps if the game was closer towards the latter parts. And so, he felt good. What a great communicator, great energy. He just brought such a positive aura and energy to our building. I know how much respect he already has from the guys. And it's just – it's been great having Eric around. What I thought was also great was to see the way that (S) Terrell Burgess and (S) Nick Scott played. Both those guys did an excellent job. So, I think that the depth of our secondary was really challenged, but the guys showed why they've done a good job and they were ready when their number was called and this week will be no different with Taylor being out again.”

(On what it is about the team and building that never has problems from “problem” players)
“Here's what I would say, I try to do a good job of making sure that we are bringing guys in – (General Manager) Les (Snead) and I and (Chief Operating Officer) Kevin (Demoff) – you're talking about, ‘Okay, is this guy fit? Does he love football?’ All these guys that supposedly have these things, are very smart individuals that love football. And so, we try to make it all about ball. We try to collaborate with them, have a shared ownership between the coaches and the players. And I think living out here is a great thing. And then I think the teammates are the most important thing. Those other guys that have been in this locker room that have really built this culture from the ground up are what's right about it. And we just try to make sure that there's a good atmosphere and an environment that's in alignment with having some urgency, but also enjoying the way that we go about our work. But, I haven't seen any of those things and I do think sometimes those things can get blown out of proportion and then it's all perspective driven. We look at it from both sides, but fortunately those guys that you're referring to, when you get to kind of know them from a personal level, they've been great joys. And those guys have done an excellent job with us – whoever you want to identify. But it's been a great thing. And I think it's been why one of the reasons we've been able to be successful. And it goes back to the players are the biggest thing – the players, the leaders that we have in that locker room, the way they put their arm around people when they welcome them.”

(On if they’d like to bring WR Odell Beckham Jr. back next season)
“Yeah, I love being around him. He's done a great job production wise. Similar to what I was mentioning with Weddle, but both (OLcool smiley Von (Miller) and (WR) Odell (Beckham Jr.) have just brought such a good energy to our team. Both these guys are great guys. They're very charismatic. They bring a swagger and a confidence. They love football and they want to try to win. They're great competitors. Their resumes prior to coming here have earned the respect. Then you're seeing all the plays that they're making. They just want to be a part of the team. I've loved both those guys, but Odell has been a real joy to be around. I love working with him and we're really enjoying that. What the future holds we'll kind of see, but I certainly have loved every second of being with this guy.”

(On if Whitworth, Jones and Rapp are all out for Sunday)
“Correct.”

(On how ILB Troy Reeder has been after his injury report status of an ankle injury)
“He will be good to go. He is feeling good. He will be rolling on Sunday.”

(On if Reeder showed what they needed to see last week in terms of playmaking and signal calling)
“All he's done is just answer the bell with whatever he's been asked. If it's being a key contributor on special teams and then playing certain packages. If it's wearing the dot and playing almost every snap defensively. I think about the Washington game last year with what a great job he did. So, (ILcool smiley Troy Reeder is just such a good football player. He's earned the trust of his teammates. He's a great communicator. He can make plays both on defense and in special teams. He's only gotten better as his accumulated experience. When you're as intentional as he is about going about your work the right way, you have a real commitment to a process and weekly rhythm. (Linebackers Coach) Chris Shula has done a great job, but you can't help but get better. That's what you're seeing. The depth of that room has really been challenged. What a great job (ILB Travin) ‘T’ Howard has done over the last couple weeks as well. When (Lcool smiley Ernest (Jones) got a chance to step in, we know what a big contributor (Broncos Lcool smiley Kenny (Young) was for us earlier on in the year. So, that's a real credit to those players and Chris Shula is doing a great job developing that room.”

(On what he knew about Beckham Jr. that made him think he would be a fit and what has he learned about him since)
“I've gotten to know Odell a little bit just because he spends a lot of his time in the offseasons out here. So, we've crossed paths and I've always had such a huge amount of respect for his body of work and his resume just studying him from afar. Then when you get to know him you realize, he's so consistent where he just loves competing, and loves being around his teammates. He's an incredibly intelligent, smart, funny guy. That's what I've learned about him. I've learned that he's consistent in his everyday approach. He just wants to win. He's been a great teammate. If you ask the rest of these guys what a breath of fresh air he's been, he's done that. He works so hard in practice and really is very coachable. So he's checking the boxes in everything. He's been a real joy to be around. I've just continued to learn about him personally, what really is important to him. But, he has been great to be able to work with. That's why I think you have to reserve your judgements for your personal interactions with people. Because he's such a popular figure and he's got such a brand because he's been such an elite player. He's so charismatic and has this presence that I think that can get misunderstood. The biggest thing I would say is he's been incredibly selfless here and been a great teammate. (That is) what has really stood out to me and then he's made plays when he is been asked to. He has done everything that we've asked.”

(On if anything has changed in the last 24 hours as far as 6-day schedule and if he feels they still have to cram a little compared to a normal 7-day preparation week)
“Really the early parts of the week kind of represented that. Yesterday kind of represented a combination of a (normal) Wednesday and a (normal) Thursday. Now today we're on what is closer to a normal Friday. So, there's so (many) changes throughout the course of the year and really with our schedule, there really isn't a norm. It's just being where your feet are plant and handling the day. You feel like you're kind of caught up to speed, but there'll be a couple things that we can kind of just kind continue to tweak and clean up. Then tomorrow we'll have those last little things before we travel. Then if we need to hit anything on Saturday night or Sunday morning, we will. But we got as much time as we need up until 2:59 Eastern time on Sunday.”

WR Odell Beckham Jr.
(On how his 40-yard connection to RB Cam Akers came to be and what it was like to execute it so effectively in the game)
“(Head Coach Sean) McVay, like I told you, he just had a lot of confidence. We ran it in practice and I was literally throwing right into where the wind is coming from and I didn't have my best throw and didn't connect with (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers). So, I didn't know if we were going to get a chance to run it. Sometimes those types of things happen and it's taken out. He was like, ‘I'm calling it.’ And I was like, ‘Bet. I'm (going to) be ready to go.’ It’s a play I ran already once before - connected to (Giants RB Saquon) Barkley for a touchdown – but I think I gave Saquon a better pass than I gave Cam. So, (I’m) just happy that we connected on it. And it's always a lot of fun when you're in those places of the game where you still could run a play like that. It’s just kind of a momentum killer. We were already up and ahead and just finding the ways to keep connecting and making plays.”

(On how he feels about matching up against the Buccaneers’ secondary)
“You’re going against Super Bowl champs at Raymond James (Stadium). You know it’s going to be a tough challenge, a tough matchup. I think they have a phenomenal defense. It’s not going to be an easy task, but we prepared hard, and the goal is to always – the same thing I've always told you – to go in there and win.”

(On CB Jalen Ramsey saying that he’s the offensive version of him in that he’s misunderstood, why he feels misunderstood and why)
“It’s not from like y'all (media) that I feel misunderstood. I'm always just going to be that. Since I came into the league, there's been drama – this, that. Like, bro, it's (just) something that I've gotten over. I know who I am. I feel like once you get comfortable with being in your own skin, and you know who you are on the outside, and things that could be said and this and that, it means absolutely nothing. And to me it means absolutely nothing. It's just fluff. It's just talk. I know who I am as a person, as a human being, as a football player, what I feel like I'm capable of even after injuries, all that – I know who I am. So none of what's said about me, matters to me.”

(On if L.A. is somewhere where he’d want to stay moving forward)
“Absolutely. It's something to look at after the season. Wherever God wants me to be, is exactly where I'll be. It’s not something that's exactly at the forefront of my mind right now. (I’m) just so focused on the opportunity that we have here and the reason why I chose to come here and (I) just want to take full advantage of that and let the chips fall where they may. And God will always handle the rest.”

(On the Buccaneers and Rams playing frequently in the regular season over the past few years, and how he and OLB Von Miller being brought in help the team)
“I don't necessarily know how to answer it. I've seen some of the matchups and I know that they beat them in the regular season. I wasn't there. I think – I can't remember the games from last year – but I know (these have) been very tough battles. (These are) two heavyweight teams going at each other and only one could win. You always prepare to win and that's exactly what we want to do. So I just hope that I (can) make some plays to help get this team going, give it a spark whenever we need, and find a way to come out with a W.”

(On what the Rams new talent brings in terms of adding new dimensions and challenges)
“Definitely something necessarily they haven't seen on film, but we're all in the NFL. You watch film from the past games and you see what players are capable of. And to add a (OLcool smiley Von Miller and myself, it gives them just a new challenge, a new opportunity for them as well.”

(On if he’s changed since coming to L.A. or did he just find the right environment)
“No, I mean I don't think it's (that). I just feel like there – I've said this before – the world needs to place their finger on something to feel comfortable with what it is. And whenever it comes to me, they want to label me as this selfish, this, diva, blah, blah, blah. All of the things that are said – like I told you – mean absolutely nothing to me. I chose to come here because I (saw) a great opportunity and knowing that I'd be able to play great football. (I did) not come in here thinking I'm going to be the number one receiver. I'm going to get 16 targets a game, because that's not the case. I get whatever opportunities I get. I help open up other things for the offense and I'm going to make the plays whenever I have the opportunity. So like I said, the whole perception of me – it’s no offense to anybody – but I don't really care because I just know who I am ultimately. And I know what kind of teammate I am, what kind of person I am.”

(On why he thinks the perception of him has changed a lot over the course of the season)
“You take it as a grain of salt because it could get to a point in the game and I could be frustrated, but really just wanting to pump everybody up. And they see something on the sideline and it's like, ‘Oh, there he is. There's the old, Odell.’ You know what I mean? Like that's just the way that the world works. It doesn't really make sense, but that's what they do. So, I think winning cures everything. That might be the answer. I think winning cures it all.”

(On if he is able to throw ambidextrously)
“Yeah. I feel like I always joke about it, but I think I was born lefthanded and just growing up everybody around me was right-handed. When you go to the baseball field, everybody's got right-handed gloves. I could have thrown it the other way, but I'm just happy they called it that way and we'll just leave it at that.”

(On the source and motivation of his generosity when it comes to giving equipment to fans)
“I never really understood if it was a focus of pregame or whatever it is, but I just remember…I'm telling you there are very few memories that you have as a child. I remember playing in the Georgia Dome at halftime, getting our four and a half minutes to play football and (former Falcons Qcool smiley Mike Vick was my favorite player of all-time. I just remember that split second moment of love that he gave me where Mike Vick’s looking at you and he goes, ‘What’s up youngin?’ I don't remember exactly what he said, but that moment. I know that God has put me on this earth to be an inspiration for these kids and I just see them there. Whether they're in a Cardinals jersey, Buccaneers jersey, back when I was in New York even Philly fans who hate Giants fans, like the kids still wanted that moment. I just know that I would never let that opportunity pass if it's in my control and I can really make it happen. So, just giving away cleats, I just know that what you give out, is what you get back. I just feel like I want to give out nothing but love because I'm in a very receptive place in my life and that's all I'm looking for is just love back. So, just giving back. (I am) blessed.”

(On his relationship like with CEO of Dreamathon, Bruce Thompson and why it’s important to wear Dreamathon t-shirts pre-game)
“Just support. He didn't necessarily get to fulfill his dream of being in the NFL, and this is something that he's put a lot of hard work into and dedication. You see a guy who's really a great human being and works hard to find a way to make a way for himself. So, I'm going to always support that. I support my brothers and just helping out the business side of that. Just watching it take off throughout the NFL. I'm just very happy for him. It kind of goes back to the giving away. I just feel like (if) you give love out, you get love back. That's just what all I'm about even despite, being the ‘bad guy’ that I really am (sarcasm).”

(On if he feels like he is in a good place in his career right now)
“Yeah, I feel like I'm at least where my feet are at. I'm taking advantage of the opportunity that's presenting itself. Statistically, this isn't exactly what I would've envisioned for myself, but like I said there's X, Y, and Z opportunities. I feel like I'm affecting the game and being able to just give a spark when you need. People tend to forget that (a) football game is 11 guys and it takes all of us to win. So, running a certain route where you may not have gotten the ball, but you're clearing it out for somebody like, there's so many intricacies that happen throughout a game that I just know that I'm doing my job. I just hope to continue to do that, especially this Sunday. Find a way to come out with a win.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Transcripts 1/21/22

Shaky364January 21, 2022 02:19PM