Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Transcripts 1/20/22

January 20, 2022 02:40PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell, DL Aaron Donald, CB Jalen Ramsey - January 20, 2022
Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell, DL Aaron Donald, CB Jalen Ramsey
Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris
(On what he thinks LB Ernest Jones’ level of preparedness is at after his designation to return has been announced and if he’ll have to reshuffle the inside linebackers along with the signal caller)
“No, I wouldn't change the signal caller, for sure. We’re going to go see his status out there, and how well he moves, and what he can do. I know his preparedness is great because he stays locked in. He stayed within the meeting group with (Linebackers Coach Chris) Shula. He stayed within a group with his guys and he's a serious guy. He's a quarterback-driven kind of guy – him and (ILcool smiley Troy (Reeder). They're really into the game plans. They're really into what we do. They're really into their own particular growth and development. I got a lot of confidence in him coming back, being ready to go. I just got to go see him move, see if they can do it physically and see what he can do.”

(On if he’s had the chance to speak with Jones and if he has high energy with the possibility of coming back)
“His energy's always pretty high. We’re talking about a guy who really embraces the game, loves the game. And when he comes in the building, I think all the other guys kind of like it. So, when he came into the meeting room today and the coaches saw him – I thought it was a pretty cool scene as well.”

(On how he’s been able to manage competing for some of the open head coaching jobs across the league while also preparing his team for this weekend’s game)
“It’s pretty simple for me when it comes to compartmentalizing what I got to get done this week. My number one job right now is to do everything I can to help the Rams go be victorious this week versus a very good opponent. That is my singular focus. That is the thing that we worked on all week. We’re coming off a short week. We're going into the move. (I’m) very excited and ecstatic to have the opportunity to speak to different people about their opportunities. You never look forward to people getting fired, but it happens in our business. It’s part of what we do. It’s a part of our life. It's a part of how we got to be prepared. We spend time in the offseason getting prepared for these type (of) moments. It won't be exactly tailored to that team or particular to that team - but it's really about the person, how you get along with that group, what type of people they're looking for, what type of people they're trying to tag together. You put some of those thoughts together, get the information you need, but you move on pretty quickly because nobody cares what you're doing on your own personal time. The only thing that's going to matter is what's going to happen when we get out there on Sunday. That's the only thing I care about. Like I told you a bunch of times, I'm always going to be where my feet are and right now my feet are right here, trying to get a big-time win versus (a) big-time program.”

(On what it is about a team that makes its staff attractive to other teams)
“I think it's a combination of all the things. (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) says all the time how we compete with our scheme, but win with our people. And I think the people here are what's a part of us helping us win – (General Manager) Les (Snead), (Chief Operating Office) Kevin Demoff, (Vice President, Football & Business Administration) Tony Pastoors, Sean McVay, all the coaching staff, everybody that's been a part of his coaching staff throughout the past since he's been here over the last couple of years - I think is a big part of that. So when you put all those things together and you talk about the culture of the building and you talk about what it takes to win and the things people are looking for, (there’s) no better place to start right here with these guys and what they've been able to do. It’s a credit to Sean McVay. It’s a credit to this building. It's a credit to everybody that's been a part of it. Look no further than that.”

(On if he’s gained something as a coach by being in a building with the people he mentioned)
“Whenever you're around people that I've been fortunate enough to be around, speaking of Kevin, speaking of Les – their group – speaking about (the) analytics team – (Manager, Data and Analytics) Jake Temme and some of the people that work there – the people in our building that you can draw from – (Vice President, Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie Scott. Some of those types of things. You continually grow in this business. You see different ways to do things and it becomes intriguing. It becomes something that you want to do if you had that opportunity to do it again. So, all those things you grow from, all those opportunities – not just football, just everything about the organization, everything about how it works together, everything (about) how it goes. Being a part of seeing two stadiums built – one being in Atlanta then coming here and seeing what it looks like when it gets built and trying to develop that atmosphere. Those are all things you take when you're talking about being a head coach, (when) you're talking about being a CEO of a corporation. So, you got to have some knowledge of everything. And fortunately enough here, I'm able to have those things because of my relationships with the people that are in charge.”

(On if he’s looking to try to replicate forcing Buccaneers QB Tom Brady to throw 55 times)
“I don't think you hope to do anything versus (Buccaneers Qcool smiley Tom Brady other than get a win. When we came and played Tom Brady the first time, we got ahead. Our offense got some big plays, some explosive plays. We were able to get some key stops in the beginning of the game. It turned the game to a one-dimensional game. And our whole idea was to force him not to let him beat us fast and make him check the ball down, throw it all over the place, make tackles, get off the game, and get a win. And that's exactly what we did. Those things got to change. I just talked about it last week, when you play teams multiple times, you better go back and look at your plan. You better go look at what you did and, really, (you) better study and evaluate those things that you did, especially if thought they were well, especially if that coach tells you at the end of the game, ‘Good job.’ And (Buccaneers Offensive Coordinator) Byron Leftwich definitely came to me and told us, ‘Good job.’ And Tom shook everybody's hand. I'm sure he said the same thing. I know they're waiting for this opportunity. I watched enough of this Man in the Arena to know he's coming and we're going to be ready.”

(On how he thought DB Eric Weddle played and if he expects him to play more/less depending on S Taylor Rapp’s status)
“We’ll see where (S) Taylor (Rapp) is. (Dcool smiley Eric (Weddle) did a great job for us. His communication, his movement, his ability to go out there and really play (an) extended period of time – I believe was 20 or so snaps. I'm not sure (of) the exact number. But to be able to get him out there, to move him around, the communication that he brought to the table, the confidence that he brought (D Terrell) Burgess, the way that he was able to talk with (S) Nick Scott and watch those guys really play fast, and then to be able to be smart and get him out of the game when it was out of hand, to be able to use him, to be able to have him for this week - I anticipate his role being somewhere near the same if not a little more. We're going to take Eric as long as he can take it because he's a great person to be around. He does nothing but bring us confidence and he does nothing but bring his greatness.”

(On if he sees something different with Head Coach Sean McVay in his approach to east coast road games that has made McVay so successful in those matchups)
“I was just talking about this. I love our travel schedule. I love what we do. We get in the same time no matter where we're going. We have the same amount of time to get to our meeting room. We have the same amount of time to go to our meeting room. We got the same amount of time to meet. We go through our same process with our special teams meeting, with our offensive (and) defensive meetings, with our head coach’s meeting. And then we get a chance to go to your rooms. You wake up and it's time to go. And we get on the plane, we come right back home, and we start our job, and do it all over again. The way he moves and the way he likes to move, it's something that I really love and something that I admire. I'm not sure exactly who I was just talking too about (this), but it's definitely something that's been on my mind – how we move and how we travel. How Sean’s able to change up our schedule every week based on where we're going to make sure when we land, it's very similar. Sometimes (it’s) just walk-thru. Sometimes there's not. Sometimes we're able to go to the team hotel and meet. Sometimes we're not. But I think all those things are a big part of what he's done to make this team to be able to bounce around and just feel like nothing's really going to bother them when it comes to scheduling, when it comes to short weeks, long weeks – it doesn't really matter. Whatever the case may be, we’re ready to deal.”

(On if he has interviewed with the Vikings yet)
“I’ll give you the quick answer, no. That hasn't happened yet. That meeting is planned and we'll have that when the time is ready for that.”

(On how does CB Jalen Ramsey fit into the scheme against the Buccaneers)
“(Dcool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) has got a big part of going with (WR) Mike (Evans). He’s going do some things on Mike (Evans). He's going to be able to move around, do some things that he's done for us all year. His physicality, the things that he brings to his position is special. We’re talking about a guy who wanted to be All-Pro at both inside and outside corner. And he says those things for a reason because he takes big time pride in what he does and how he does it. So, he'll move around with Mike a little bit. We'll be able to get him off a little bit, do some different things. But certainly, his presence should be felt if we plan on having any success.”

(On if he ever looks back at his head coaching gig with the Buccaneers and wonders if he would have been better served if the opportunity hadn’t come along)
“Everything I would say after that question would be an excuse. My job was to go out there and win football games. We had one year we were able to win 10 games and it wasn't enough, didn’t get us in the playoffs. We were able to start that next year and go 4-2. And then we had a disastrous collapse that led to my fire and I got what I deserved. Everybody will get what they deserve in this business. I think the time and the patience and all those type of things, you can't replicate those type of experiences. So I would never ever say, ‘I didn't love my time in Tampa.’ Tampa has been considered home for a long time and I love all the people in Tampa – including their ownership, including a lot of people there that's still in the building, that’s a part of that building, that’s a part of that organization that will be forever. You’re talking about the (former Buccaneers Lcool smiley Derrick Brooks’ and (former Buccaneers DT) Warren Sapp’s and (former Buccaneers Ccool smiley Ronde Barber’s and the legendary people of the (former Buccaneers SS) John Lynch’s and all those types of people that have dealt with that organization. So that time in my life has certainly created what I’ve become as a man, as a coach, as a father – as everything. I just think the growth and development – you can't turn down those opportunities for what they were and what they were worth.”

Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell
(On if he has interviewed for any of the three jobs that requested him)
“I have not. We've got those kind of scheduled here now that the week's kind of, not wrapping up – we're still very much in the process of going out to the field and working our prep – but at least the game planning phases that I wanted to make sure I was a part of and not giving up anything there. So, we've got a good schedule kind of moving forward and it'll allow me to kind of handle everything I need to handle on both ends. I'm excited about it.”

(On how hard it is to multitask staying present with the Rams and not forgoing opportunities at being a head coach)
“First and foremost, the focus with what we're doing right now as a football team, it's my number one priority. I really feel like you're absolutely right in the necessity to have a great feel for whatever team that I may be talking to about their roster, about their team. That's really important, but I think they would understand that my focus needs to be on the Rams first. Then I really feel like I've been preparing for this for a long time from a standpoint of philosophy and how you want to go about doing things. I've had some great people that I've learned from – nobody more than our head coach here, who would tell you guys the same thing about our process. He trusts that both (Defensive Coordinator) Raheem (Morris), myself and (Running backs Coach/Assistant Head Coach) Thomas (Brown), our focus and priorities first and foremost are on guys here because I can't imagine doing it any other way.”

(On his assessment of QB Matthew Stafford’s decision making against the Cardinals)
“I felt going into the game, he had such ownership of the game plan. You play a team three times, sometimes it's great because you got a lot of film to watch and you have such familiarity with the opponent. But it can be you got too much film to watch, you know too much. I thought his ability to just play with a real quieted mind and have such command of what we were trying to do, early on he really got in a rhythm, got different players involved – whether it be (WR) Odell (Beckham Jr.) or (TE Tyler) Higbee, that made some big catches early the on for us. Then (WR) Cooper (Kupp) is always going to do his thing. We got (WR) Van (Jefferson) down the field a little bit. It was great to get (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) back, but (Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford) kind of just engineering that whole thing, running the show, making sure the operation was clean, overcoming some kind of longer yardage second-down and first-down situations and still keeping us moving. But ultimately being smart with the football, getting us into some great looks in the run game, really ran the show, I thought he played really, really well the other night.”

(On if there is unlearning involved with going from playing ‘hero ball’ for a decade to his role within this offense)
“I think anytime you've got the experiences of a player like Matthew, playing a lot of snaps at a really high level, but understanding that every team, every single week realizes that you got to win football games differently, depending on who the opponent is, depending on what the plan of attack is going in offensively. I think the best teams in this league need to morph to win that particular game, that particular week. It's not always going to be for the fantasy football numbers. Sometimes it's going to be a runs and completions game. Sometimes it's going to be how many explosives can we generate and everybody's excited about that. And then, sometimes it can be just a ball possession type of game where you're trying to win that time of possession, keep the defense off the field and control the field position. So, all those things I think what Matthew would say is there's probably some truth to that. But at the same time, each game, each three-and-a-half-hour window, every single week is its own opportunity. The best quarterbacks in our league play the way they have to, to give their team the best chance to win.”

(On if there is a common denominator to what this team is doing on the road)
“Yeah, I think so. We spend a lot of time and a lot of things have been really studied from a sports performance and a recovery standpoint to make sure that – when you're a west coast team going on the road to the east coast for those 10:00 AM games, I'm sure you guys feel it as well. When you guys hop on the plane, fly across the country and wake up. I know how early you guys get to the stadium like we do. So, your body clock's not going to ever be exactly what you want. But I think from a standpoint of the consistency of how we go about those weeks leading into the weekend, the guys know they've got to get their recovery leading into the day before. Since I've been here, we have never been a team that has left two days before those trips. So, we lock in on the same schedule when those guys understand that they're going to get their rest. It's about hydrating. It's about doing all the things that (Vice President, Sports Performance and Medicine) Reggie Scott and his crew do. The best in the world at (it), in my opinion, of being able to get the guys ready to play at their best. Then you got to have the right kind of guys that can wake up and feel like they're ready to go, no matter what. We've had some 12 o'clock starts this year where it seemed like you're barely done with your first cup of coffee and it was the end of the first quarter. So, I think it's a real testament to the work that's been put in to get the prep going, to get these players feeling great and they buy in. That's the most important thing.”

(On if there is anything especially interesting that he has learned from Head Coach Sean McVay and what teams assume he has learned)
“Well first and foremost, I can't really assume that they assume that I've learned some things. So, it's my job to kind of explain those things and make sure they know. But, one of the things that I've talked a lot about with our quarterback is the leadership skills and the ability to make all those around them have the best possible chance to have success, be the best possible versions of themselves. I've talked a lot about that with Matthew about that, but I think it's been very easy for Matthew to come into this culture and do that because of what (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) has built here. His ability every single day to bring energy, bring kind of that urgent enjoyment that we like to talk about when we know we're at our best, when we're completely locked in, we're dialed in, the focus is 100% there, but we're enjoying it. Coaches, players, everybody in this building feels it and it all starts with him. Anybody who is going to try to go take the best parts of what we do here at the Rams and go somewhere else, it all starts with so many characteristics of our head coach. I don't take it for granted a day getting to come to work and be around him.”

(On how he describes what McVay has been able to accomplish at such a young age)
“Well, it's not surprising to me knowing just the person that I knew even before he became the head coach here. The football character that everybody has been exposed to. Just how intelligent he is from a football standpoint. But the emotional intelligence, the understanding of people, how to communicate with people at an extremely high level, all of those things are what make him a really special head coach. Not only for the players, but us as a staff and we feel it every day. We feel like you want to go to work and work as hard as you possibly can for him because he's not only doing the same but you know he cares about each and every one of us.”

(On his reaction to WR Odell Beckham Jr.’s 40-yard completion against the Cardinals)
“We were trying to attack a certain look that we thought we might get, take advantage of maybe a one-on-one matchup with him. It played out a little bit differently. Cardinals had some things, kind of some third-down game plan specific things they were trying to do. A big thing for us was making sure that if that were to happen and try to get out in front of maybe one of those looks that they don't show as much or maybe a new game plan thing that they did, that our concepts were spaced out and we still had really good matchups within possible zones or zone-pressure looks. Odell did a great job. We've been working through variations of that concept where it's all about the deep feels. It's all about from the snap of the football, how you go about running that route from the standpoint of keeping your defender where we want and then being able to explode off of potentially those two outer most players. You guys have seen us throw it to Cooper and Tyler Higbee at times this year off similar concepts. But his ability to then track it and just transition into those yards after catch, I thought he might score. I thought he might do something wild down there and try to get in the end zone. But huge play for us when we had to have it. It goes right along with, I thought he was locked in from the jump. I could tell in pregame warmups, just the look he had in his eyes. He enjoyed being back in the playoffs. It was fun to watch him.”

(On how it felt to see a receiver make a 40-yard pass as a former quarterback himself)
“Oh yeah, I thought you were talking about his catch. My bad. Yes, the 40-yard reception. I'll tell you what, as a former quarterback where I was standing, when he throws that tight of a spiral and that nose just turns over like that, the first thing you deep down think is jealousy. For why couldn't I have thrown the ball like that? But I know Matthew had some words about my quarterback play yesterday, so I'll leave it at that. But really, Odell is such a special athlete. But I apologize, I thought you were asking about one of the other spectacular plays he made the other night. I'm sure I'll be able to answer in greater detail later on about that one.”

(On what it has been like adding RB Cam Akers back)
“Absolutely. A great question. It's something that from the time the training staff let us know there was a real possibility that we could get him back. We know as coaches, and our players here know, how dynamic Cam is. He got some work against the Niners. But then to feel, coming off that game, like ‘Okay, I'm back. I can go do this.’ I even noticed another gear there against the Cardinals – his confidence level, his bounce in and out of the huddle, on and off the field. I'm just seeing Cam every single day locking back in. Really it is not only a testament to coming back from that injury, but mentally to be able to just transition right back into playing in really competitive environments and playing against really good, athletic defenses, physical defenses. With him in some cases, taking the physicality to the opponent, I can't say enough about what he's been able to do to help us. Hoping to continue to see more and more of it.”

DL Aaron Donald
(On what it was like to have LB Ernest Jones back out at practice and if he does play on Sunday, what does he give to the Rams defense)
“It was definitely good to see him out there today. He looked good. (He) was flying around. He would be a great piece to have back out there, if he's able to go. But it's definitely good to see him back today.

(On if there is a difference in preparing for Buccaneers QB Tom Brady in the regular season versus the postseason)
“Well, you prepare anyway like the same way all the time. Obviously it’s the playoffs, so you got to expect things that you typically wouldn't see and try to put yourself in the best positions to get ready and be prepared for it. You’re preparing against a great team with a lot of good players. Like I always say, we got a game plan, we got to stick to it and we got to execute it. And (if) we do that, we’ll be fine.”

(On if there’s anything he can share about the game plan)
“Nothing (laughs).”

(On how he and the defensive front get to Brady and rush the passer in this game on Sunday)
“We just got to continue to find ways to play (well) off each other. They start (to) slide or do things or trying to slow certain players down, just to do certain things to open up things and trying to find ways to keep them bottled up, keep the pressure in front of them as far as collapsing the pocket so he can't step into some of (those) throws. You do that with any quarterback. You can affect them and get them a little rattled. When you’re playing against a guy like (Buccaneers Qcool smiley Tom Brady, that's a must to have success. I think it's going to be important for us as a defensive line, as a unit that's actually up there rushing and going against him as far as trying to affect him any way we can. We got to be great at that.”

(On if OLB Von Miller has shared anything with him about when the Broncos played the Patriots in the playoffs)
“We kind of know to expect, but he (hasn’t brought) nothing up like that. We know what we got to do.”

(On Brady throwing 55 times last time and if he welcomes that opportunity to rush that many times or would he prefer to a few less attempts)
“It (doesn’t) matter. I don't mind it. If a team typically get(s) thrown at me, you’re doing a good job as far as slowing down the run or that mean(s) you got to lead to a point where they got to throw. If they do that, we know what we got to do up front to try and affect them. And if you’re getting the ball out quick, you got to just keep going. And if it's coming out quick, get our hands up. So, we know what we got to do.”

(On what he sees in Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris that would make him a good candidate for one of the open head coaching spots)
“Well right now, I'm happy he's with us. And our main focus right now is playoff ball and trying to find a way to win this week. He’s a good coach. Over these games, I've been seeing a lot of great calls he’s making for us as far as opening up certain things. But, if he get(s) the opportunity, that'd be great for him. But, I'm just happy right now he's with us. And that's our main focus.”

(On if Morris has done anything for him in particular)
“At times. At times he (does), for sure.”

(On what does it say about the last time the Rams played the Buccaneers when Brady was their leading rusher with 14 yards)
“It was a good game. That was Week (3) we played them and now it’s (a) playoff game. So obviously you want to see some of the things we did to have success against when we played them. But obviously, you’re going to see certain things you didn't see because it's playoff ball and it's going to be a different look. We just got to be prepared for whatever they throw at us”

(On why the Rams are so good on the road)
“We just play good football. We stick together. I think some of the best ball’s when you’re in an environment where everybody's against you and you just got your guys that you (are) out there playing with. We got a close-knit group of guys (that) keep us focused when we need to work and worry what we need to worry about. And I guess we just show up.”

(On what it’s like to have WR Odell Beckham Jr. as a teammate, how has he gotten to know him and what kind of energy does he bring)
“It’s been great. He (is) making a lot of plays for us. He showed up big time last week for us. So, (it’s) been a lot of splash plays he’s been making. Obviously, his energy he bring(s) – it has been great.”

CB Jalen Ramsey
(On what is different since facing the Buccaneers in Week Three)
“A lot, man, honestly. That was - like you said - that was in September. That was a while ago. Different people have stepped up for each team. Some different faces and a lot more is on the line right now. Those are just a couple things that are different.”

(On if there’s anyone on the Buccaneers that presents a bigger challenge than in Week Three)
“All those guys. Honestly, it's the same guys they have, their top guys – (Buccaneers Qcool smiley Tom (Brady), (Buccaneers WR) Mike (Evans), getting (Buccaneers RB Leonard Fournette) ‘seven’ back this week. All those guys who play well in the playoffs, especially last year. They all played well in the playoffs. I’m sure they'll bring it this year as well. So it's just the same guys, but it's more at stake, a bigger level.”

(On what it likes to go against Brady in a divisional matchup at his home stadium)
“I'm excited just about the opportunity, not necessarily like that is him and his home stadium. I'm excited for another opportunity to go out there and try to get a win. That'll be another step towards our goal this year as a team. So, that's what I'm excited about - most excited about.”

(On his endorsement of Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris being a head coach, what he has done for the defense, and him as an individual)
“I've had great coaches, honestly. I mean, since the time I was traded here to LA couple years ago, I was with the legendary coach (former Rams Defensive Coordinator) Wade (Phillips). And then I got to be with coach (former Rams Defensive Coordinator Brandon) Staley, who obviously I think very highly of, and he did a great job and he helped me a lot. And he opened up my game to where I was able to showcase my skillset even more just by different positions and coverages that I was able to play while he was here and he got his opportunity to go be a head coach. And I personally think he did a good job. And then when (Defensive Coordinator Raheem) ‘Rah’ (Morris) got here this year, he kind of just took that and went to another level with it. And not only personally allowed me to play multiple positions and be effective all around the game, but like way he taught me the game, the way he breaks down film, things like that he's done with me personally that's like improved my game like more than I could ever, ever honestly think about. And then not only that, just the leader he is like really, really the leader he is - how he coaches all of his guys, knows all of his guys, not just like he doesn't treat us all the same, but he treats us all fairly if that makes sense. Like he knows how to treat different people, how they need to be treated. He's honestly - I could probably go on and on, on about coach ‘Rah,’ but he's like genuinely one of the best leaders I've ever been around in my professional career, for sure, but just in general me forever playing football. He's one of the best leaders and the way he challenges guys and brings the best out of them. It's something that's honestly special and that's something that any of these vacancies out here. If they could get a guy like him, they in good hands, they in a good position. So, I think he's earned it and he deserves an opportunity at least to be a head coach. I think that would be something really a special and dope for him. But if not, then we just going to be on people’s necks next year. We're just going take what we've done this year and build on it.”

(On the difference in playing Brady in the regular season versus the playoffs if there is one)
“I only played him in the playoffs one time in my career, and that was years ago in Jacksonville. That game was disappointing, so I tried to forget about it as much as I did. And I don't know that answer, but we'll see this Sunday. I'm excited for the opportunity. I'm sure he's going to bring it. I'm sure his team is going to be ready. He's a great leader - the way he's able to get his team to rally around him, the way he's able to get his team to all believe that they're great and able to make all the plays possible. I'm sure we'll get their best effort, and we got to be ready, and we got to go give our best effort as well.”

(On what challenges are presented having to cover different guys)
“I mean, it's just covering different body types. You know what I mean? It's a little bit different of a feel. I guess you would say that's probably it. And then obviously based on concepts and stuff like that - film study has to be elite this week to make sure that I know exactly kind of what route concepts I'll get with other guys, and how I should play it, how I should be on the same page with my safeties and the rest of the secondary. But, you know how feel about challenges. I welcome them and I'm excited for that challenge however many times that may or may not happen.”

(On what Coach Morris has been like as the defense continues to evolve and expand)
“He's been amazing. Super, super supportive - but at the same time super critical of us and that's what you need in a coach. I mean we had to, like, as he would say, we had to rip some of them band-aids off. Like we had to talk about a whole lot of stuff. We had to address the issues that are at hand and then super supportive in moving on and correcting those mistakes. We've had so much adversity - injuries, guys performing well and not performing well guys being put in a role that they didn't think that maybe at the beginning of the season they would've played in, and elevations, and going down, up, all of that. And he's just been supportive through it all. And one of the great things about him also is he keeps it real. He keeps it real with us. And that's good when he is like super transparent like that and supportive on top of that. That just makes you want to play for a guy like that.”

(On how he keeps things the same when heading into a game like this)
“I think things that you do you have to do the same, you just do it with a - kind of a heightened sense of urgency knowing that things are a little bit more important right now. But you kind of do keep the same routine and try to do the things that you've done in the past to make you successful or that have been successful. So, that's kind of the same. You just know that you need to be a little bit more detailed, a little bit more focused on the task.”

(On being on the field with DB Eric Weddle again and the impact it had on him and the rest of the defense)
“It was nice having him out there and it was fun. Obviously, we got a big win. That was fun. His energy was through the roof. He was super excited at certain times I thought he needed to calm down before he made himself catch a cramp or something, anything like that, but no, it was super fun. It was fun having him out there. The communication was great. And yeah, we came up big, so it was fun.”

(On the dimension OLB Von Miller has brought to the defense)
“He brings a lot of positive energy. That's one thing about (OLcool smiley Von (Miller) for sure, super positive guy. Highs and the lows - he tries to make sure we maintain positive and optimistic about what lies ahead of us. And then, obviously, the player he is - he's been making big plays for us down this stretch, being more comfortable, healthy, and making a lot of big plays for us. And he's doing it with a lot of swag and guys feed off of that.”

(On his reaction to WR Odell Beckham Jr.’s 40-yard completion to RB Cam Akers)
“My reaction was that was dope because I saw them practice that play. And I was happy to see (WR) Odell (Beckham Jr.) complete a pass to (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) on top of that, both of them my dudes. So that was dope. It was a play that brought a lot of energy in the whole stadium and having him as a teammate is great, honestly. He's like the offensive version of myself I feel like just because I mean, obviously, he's gifted from God. He's very talented, has a whole lot of skill set, but just his competitive nature, his will to and want to be great. And then, he's kind of misunderstood too. He's a really good teammate and people kind of don't have that message out about him, but he really is a really good teammate. He's just super competitive, and wants to be great, and wants everybody around him to be great. So, that's just the type of guy he is.”

(On what allowed them to have success as a group based upon the first meeting with Tampa)
“I mean, there's a few things we could probably point to. But we kind of got to separate the two. I mean, you could learn things from then, but that was way in September or whenever that was. So, both teams have evolved since then. And we have to kind of do some film study on more recent and things that they do and maybe things they do against defensive schemes like ours. And it was a good game. It was still a close game, fairly close game. We know it's always going to be competitive against those guys, but one thing that I can say that we did that game was we executed pretty well. I mean, there was a couple lapses here and there during that game, but we executed our game plan pretty well. And we played with like a lot of energy out there. Even when things weren't going well, like that's something that just me personally, when I watch the film, I can see that. And I like to point that out to my teammates to make sure that we do those things again, and then all the new things that we have to do, do those as well.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Transcripts 1/20/22

Shaky341January 20, 2022 02:40PM