Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay - October 25, 2021

October 26, 2021 01:08AM

Head Coach Sean McVay
Head Coach Sean McVay
(On the idea behind trading ILB Kenny Young to the Denver Broncos)
“A tough decision, really for us. They had a need at linebacker, and really, it was an opportunity to free up some space from some financials (standpoint). Guys are going to be asked to step up. (We’re) very grateful for the contributions that (ILcool smiley Kenny (Young) has made to our team over the last couple of years. He has been our guy that's played in a lot of single-backer defenses. So whether it's (ILcool smiley Troy Reeder or (Lcool smiley Ernest Jones, they're going to be asked to step up and fill that void and that vacancy. But if you said, ‘What was really the gist of it?’ It was financially driven.”

(On how he would assess the defense seven games in and if there is an area he would like to see them improve in)
“Each game's a little bit different narrative. I thought they did a good job yesterday. I thought there was a couple of loose yards that they got in the run game, but I do think you got to give credit to (Lions RB D’Andre) Swift and (Lions RB Jamaal) Williams are two really tough physical backs. I thought they leveled some runs off and they caught us in the one third down on a blitz. It's an excellent call right there. That’s one of those deals where you say, ‘Hats off to them,’ on the first long touchdown. But I thought we made our plays when we had to and I think through seven games, I think they're really opportunistic. I think we've got some special players that elevate everybody around them. When you talk about (DL) Aaron (Donald) and (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey), I think (OLcool smiley Leonard Floyd's played like that as well. I think you're seeing guys really continue to get better. I think you look at (DL) Sebastian Joseph-Day taking steps in the right direction. I've been pleased with (DL) A’Shawn (Robinson). It’s been good to see (OLcool smiley Terrell Lewis healthy. A lot of guys on the back end that are making big time contributions, but I think they've done a really nice job. There's always things that we can improve on, but overall I'm pleased with them.”

(On if the Young trade is financially driven, does that create space to make another move)
“I think what it does is it gives you the opportunity to have the ability to make decisions if opportunities present themselves and just a little bit more flexibility. Even something as simple as flexing guys up from the practice squad where that costs money. There’s a lot of layers to it, but really for us being able to save some of that money was something that was beneficial. Also, there's an investment in some of these younger backers. You spend a third-round pick on Ernest Jones. He's a guy that we feel like has a lot of upside. There’s a lot of layers, but if you said that the main reason that the decision was made was it was financially driven for us.”

(On what’s happening with WR TuTu Atwell and the return game)
“We didn't really get many opportunities in the punt return phase. I think the kick return – I don't care who is returning yesterday – we didn't block well at all. Whether it was (WR) Ben Skowronek or anybody else, we didn't get a hat on a hat. We didn't execute the fundamentals and the techniques that we work. Guys have to play better, in that phase in particular. Really, (WR) TuTu (Atwell) hadn't had a whole lot of experience doing it in general. He's a young player. That’s kind of where we're at with it, but certainly the return game is not something that we feel great about where we're at. We're going to continue to work it. I trust the process and the rhythm that goes into trying to put together good performances, but I think we all know there's an increased sense of urgency when you get one down. That's the difference between special teams and offense and defense. You get one down, it's that much more important to be on the screws with that one snap that you get a chance to execute in whatever phase of our kicking game is up. That’s what's going on in the kick game, in the return game in particular. We've had some injuries. (RB Jake) Funk is a guy that we thought was going to return kicks. Yesterday it ended up being Ben and (Rcool smiley Buddy (Howell) were back there. But we didn't execute well enough in terms of creating any sort of manageable space to operate with as a returner, no matter who was back there.”

(On what eliminated Atwell from the contention in that phase)
“We just felt like those guys were better candidates given the circumstances.”

(On the linebackers complimenting each other and when using a single-backer package, are they looking for a player with a skillset aligned with Young’s ability to move horizontally and blitz or are the looking for more of a downhill player)
“I think ideally you're looking for an all-around complete player. I think it depends on what that player's role and responsibilities are. There’s still some single-backer defenses that we could utilize. That it's about accentuating Troy’s and Ernest’s skillsets. I think that's what good coaches do, is you play to your players’ skillsets. For Kenny, I think that's one of the things he does great. He's a run-and-hit player. He’s got those good instincts and he can make a lot of space plays. I thought he was a really good blitzer for us as well. I do think those traits and characteristics that both those guys possess. (ILB Travin Howard) T-Howard is even a guy that has some of that run-and-hit ability. But I think it depends when you put the game plan together. There's different things that we can call that put guys in favorable positions for whatever their skillsets are. And those are certainly things that I think Ernest has, as well as Troy. But I also think we're learning about Ernest. I know the game's not too big for him. I'm excited to see him potentially maximize getting a few more opportunities in some of those single- and two-backer linebacker packages that we have. That’s something that we're working through. It all came together really quickly. Just as you guys were all surprised, I think we kind of were too. Sometimes you have to make decisions like that, that aren't always the easiest. If you feel like with the big picture in mind, it was the best thing for us. That was what we had to do. (I) can't say enough good things about Kenny and then just what a class act he was when we had a conversation today face-to-face. Love Kenny and wish him nothing but the best with the Broncos.”

(On if LB Ernest Jones will have an increased role after Young’s trade or if it’s just experimentation)
“Yeah, I think it’s that. I think it’s let's get on the Texans. Let's figure out which personnel groupings, which way we feel like is the best way to defend them. I think you will see increased opportunities for both Troy and Ernest. How many? I can’t speak to that quite yet just based on where we are in the game planning part of it. But anytime that you end up losing your guy that was playing the most snaps from that inside linebacker position, naturally the next guys that will get their first crack at playing more snaps will be both of those guys. And it can be kind of a mix and match. And that's something that we're going to get together today and tomorrow, and then have for those guys on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday getting ready for the Texans.”

(On the status of DB Robert Rochelle and if anything has change)
“He just had kind of just a little knee strain right there. He's going to be okay. I would imagine that he would probably be out for Wednesday as a practice participant but hope to faze him back in on Thursday. I'll give you guys a quick recap on the injuries since you kind of asked about that. I know you guys are all probably wondering. (OL Andrew) Whitworth banged his knee up a little bit. He was able to finish the game and play well, but we'll see how he progresses throughout the course of the week and what that looks like. And we are always smart with him just based on the experience he has, but anytime he's banged up, we're going to be extra cautious with him. So, I don't expect him to be a practice participant on Wednesday. We’ll see what that looks like for Thursday. (S) Jordan Fuller and really (DB Robert) Rochelle are kind of in the same boat. They bang their knee up a little bit. Might hold them out on Wednesday, hopeful to get them back for Thursday. Don't expect that to affect either of those two players’ game status. Sebastian Joseph-Day got a peck strain. We’ll see what it looks like day to day for him. He might miss sometime this week. What that means for his game status is to be determined. And then Terrell Lewis got his ribs. We’ll give him off Wednesday, like we've done. Just kind of trying to manage his workload and letting his body turn over. I don't expect that to affect his game status, but those are the main guys. And if we were to practice, Whitworth, Fuller, Rochelle, Sebastian, and Terrell Lewis, I don't expect any of those guys to participate on Wednesday.”

(On if the new flexibility after the Young trade changes any needs)
“I don't know if it changed any needs, but the flexibility it does allow for that. What that means, it really gives you the ability to explore possibilities if we feel like it upgrades the roster. You guys know those are things that we'll always look into, but like I said, it's something that is as simple as, it was something that we felt like we could get some money. There's always situations and circumstances that arise. I think the one thing that I would say that I've learned over the last four years is – what you might have a plan for based on injuries, different things can always change. So, I want to be careful of speaking in absolutes, but it does give us some flexibility. Whether or not that means that any major big moves are imminent for us, that's not something that I can really speak on right now.”

(On if it was the plan from the start to get E. Jones regular snaps by this point in the year)
“I think anytime that you draft a player, you always have a vision for them, but we're always open-minded. You let guys compete. Their draft status has nothing to do with whether or not they earn the opportunity, guys earn everything that they get here. You have a vision for what he could be, that's why we took them in the third round. I think he's done a good job with the opportunities that he's had, but Kenny ended up earning the right to be on the grass as much as he has in a lot of those single backer defenses. That's what we felt like was illustrated throughout the course of training camp and through the first seven games of the regular season. But, if you said the confidence we have both in Ernest and Troy does make you feel like you can make a move like that, that would be accurate. But as far this is a plan that we had in place a while back, wouldn't say that because we evaluate every single day. Draft status doesn't have anything to do with if guys are going to get on the grass or not.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky478October 26, 2021 01:08AM

"Explore possibilities". There's the key.

RockRam267October 26, 2021 09:27AM

Would love to see McVay send DeCamillis packing

promomasterj304October 26, 2021 10:20AM

Elevate Dwayne Stukes!

promomasterj164October 26, 2021 10:23AM

Bonamego is still in the building

BigGame81149October 26, 2021 11:29AM

One grizzled old guy for another?

promomasterj127October 26, 2021 11:46AM

Re: Would love to see McVay send DeCamillis packing

Rams43215October 26, 2021 10:28AM

Can't see Morris going..unless....

roman18234October 26, 2021 10:35AM

I could see McVay going after Fangio

BigGame81184October 26, 2021 10:50AM

Why fire Morris?

promomasterj162October 26, 2021 11:15AM

Re: Why fire Morris?

Rams43320October 26, 2021 11:20AM

I'm saying fire DeCamilllas now or at the bye

promomasterj167October 26, 2021 11:22AM

Re: I'm saying fire DeCamilllas now or at the bye

Rams43122October 26, 2021 11:25AM

when the horse has 2 legs you change

promomasterj139October 26, 2021 11:30AM

As of now the guy has a complete failing grade.

RockRam169October 26, 2021 01:40PM

Re: As of now the guy has a complete failing grade.

3030162October 27, 2021 04:52AM