Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What made the game weird was the on-side kick and 2 fake punts

October 25, 2021 05:07AM
Jourdan described the game as "weird". I think it was less that than Campbell knowing they had zero chance against the Rams without trying to steal some possessions and taking some big risks. He was right to do so.

Those risks were an early on-sides kick and 2 fake punts. They won on all 3, and still it wasn't enough.

Yes, the Rams' STs are not good except for Hekker and Gay. And, Mcvay needs to be more aware that a team like the Lions, desperate for a win, would do just about anything because they have nothing to lose.

As for the onside kick. You have blockers upfront when you receive a kick. When you think an onside kick is coming you have your hands team. You can't expect blockers to do as well, especially when it's a surprise.

The Rams flat blew it big time on the 2 fake punts and the STs co-ordinator needs to be taken to the woodshed. That was lack of preparation and the Rams are going to see that again when they play equally desperate and bad Houston next. Why? Because Detroit was so successful with it.

A couple of other notes:

1) Still the same Goff. Average NFL QB at best. A turn over machine, antsy in the pocket, good arm but can be erratic. It's what's above the neck that will always be the issue as it is for all average or less NFL QBs. They all have the physical ability.
2) If anyone can't see the enormous gulf between Stafford and Goff then they didn't watch the game. A true apples to oranges comparison. The debate over this needs to end. Stafford is elite. I was gobsmacked over a couple of throws he made; sidearm, amazing accuracy and velocity. Love how he always pushes the ball down the field; it's his nature.... and McVay's.
3) The Lions fought hard, they DO have several good players, and Campbell deserves a lot of credit for the fight this team displays. No quit in them. They will win a couple of games this year.
4) Good to see Van Jefferson targeted; he played well and showed that he is on his way to becoming a very good WR in this league.
5) Woods is so valuable. Does everything well.
6) Kupp. Wow. Has taken the step this year to elite. A rare talent.
7) I couldn't agree more with Ramsey's comment after the game. The goal is the score; not stats (which fans tend to take out of context and somehow think the stats are like critiquing a painting). I've seen plenty of teams lose artful games. The Lions played a tough game.
8) Very hard to play against a desperate team that isn't very good, and so the flow is a little weird. My granddaughter is a volleyball star, been to dozens of her games and tournaments, and the really weird non-artful ones are when the team they are playing is not good. The game is herky-jerky. She talks about those games and how difficult they are to play because the speed is so slow and because you can't anticipate anything because things are so random.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

What made the game weird was the on-side kick and 2 fake punts

RockRam190October 25, 2021 05:07AM

Not impressed with Campbell

BigGame81188October 25, 2021 05:10AM

OK. But he's keeping his guys battling.

RockRam146October 25, 2021 05:15AM

nice summation RR

21Dog57October 25, 2021 05:23AM