October 12, 2021 07:57AM
Rams could look to practice squad for DBs to help replace Darious Williams

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Sean McVay shared some disappointing news on Monday when he told reporters that the Rams may place cornerback Darious Williams on injured reserve due to his sprained ankle. That would sideline him for at least three games, though McVay didn’t make it sound like he would have to miss more than that.

With only four cornerbacks on the 53-man roster, the Rams aren’t exactly deep at the position. But they do have five defensive backs on the practice squad, which is one possible way they could replace Williams.

McVay said a committee approach is a possibility, depending on how many corners the Rams have on the field over the course of a game, but he also mentioned the practice squad as somewhere they could look, too.

“It is a possibility. Some of the flexibility that you have with being able to flex guys up and then deciding after those two times you’ve done that, whether they deserve to be on the active roster, it gives you a little bit more patience with how you can make some of those moves a little bit later on in the week if you haven’t flexed guys up yet,” McVay said. “That’s a positive for us and something that we’ll definitely entertain as we really put our game plan together today, and then tomorrow, and then getting it started with our players on Wednesday.”

The five DBs on the practice squad are Dont’e Deayon, Antoine Brooks Jr., Tyler Hall, Kareem Orr and J.R. Reed. Brooks doesn’t play cornerback and is more of a hybrid linebacker/safety, but the other four can all play corner. Deayon is primarily a slot defender at 5-foot-9, while Reed is more of a safety than a corner.

Orr looked good in the preseason and had a strong camp, which makes him a good candidate to get promoted. Teams can call up as many as two players per week without them taking up a spot on the 53-man roster, so it’s possible the Rams will promote two DBs this week against the Giants.

Williams will be a tough player to replace, especially because of his versatility and ability to line up inside or out, allowing Jalen Ramsey to move around the way he does.

“You’re losing an outstanding corner who has position-flex to play outside, to play inside,” McVay said. “He’s got great ball skills. He’s got great concept trigger recognition, all the things that he did a great job of. And I think really, I was going to say the Giants was a coming-out party, and then I’m immediately reminded of the unbelievable pick he made against Philly in Week 2 last year. All this guy’s done is deliver when he’s been asked to. I think he set a great example. But, I think when you talk about all the different, great things that Jalen has done for our defense, it’s been as a reflection of the flexibility that Darious Williams has.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams could look to practice squad for players to replace DW…

Rams43418October 12, 2021 07:57AM

Re: Rams could look to practice squad for players to replace DW…

Rams43204October 12, 2021 07:58AM

Killrazor209October 13, 2021 12:22AM

Burgess

LMU93118October 13, 2021 04:24AM

leafnose174October 13, 2021 03:35AM