Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Top Play

September 15, 2021 05:30PM
Of course, the big plays were thrilling and prophetic of great things to come.

But for me, the most reassuring play of the game was about an 11 yard gain.

3 and 10 (?), third quarter, just after the Bears’ second touchdown. The spread is only six points, only one score. The Bears have hung in there and the game is within reach. Our Offense has been sputtering and three and out will be dangerous.

This is the sort of situation that separates good and average teams from great ones. In the last couple of years, we have regularly failed to convert in these situations and to sustain control of the game.

Our new quarterback takes a drop and finds Higbee curling up the left hashmark with a linebacker closing. Stafford flicks his wrist and tosses a dart into the tight end’s hands. The linebacker is very close but the pass is precise. First down. The drive continues. It ends in a touchdown and the game is now under control.

For a long time, I have yearned for the sort of offense that can routinely pick up first downs with 5 to 15 yard quick tosses on third down. But that was not something Jared could regularly do. He lacked the skill or nerve to move the chains relentlessly as great pass offenses do. They drive opponents mad by converting time after time. What do we have to do to stop them?

But Stafford is a very different quarterback. This was a pressure moment, and he just flicked his wrist, moved the chains, and kept the game flowing. I like having a QB who can do that.

In the same way Stafford cashed in on every chance for a big play. Collinsworth referred to the Cooper bomb as a layup since the receiver was so far open. But a 50 yard throw is never a layup, no matter how open the receiver. Quarterbacks miss those throws all the time. An open downfield shot is a pressure play in itself. You have to make the throw. Stafford never blinked; the ball was on the money.

I never followed Matt Stafford before. I don't know how well he will thrive over 17 plus games. But one thing is abundantly clear. He embraces pressure moments, steps up, reads and throws without fear or hesitancy. The entire league has been debating the Rams’ move to acquire him and the pressure on him to perform in this game was huge. His response was pure joy. His wife spoke about how much fun he was having going into this big game. Play after play, he stepped up and executed briskly and precisely. He met every big competitive moment with joy and elegant execution.

You do not do that for an entire game against a good defense if that is not who you are. When I think of that quick toss to Higbee for a first down, I feel we are in good hands with a quarterback who will meet the moment with excellence and ease.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My Top Play

RFL538September 15, 2021 05:30PM

Re: My Top Play

Hazlet Hacksaw120September 16, 2021 06:24AM

RFL143September 16, 2021 08:22AM

Re: My Top Play...And It's important!

oldschoolramfan173September 16, 2021 12:05PM

RAMbler212September 16, 2021 07:27AM

SoCalRAMatic108September 16, 2021 07:48AM

Well, I agree with all that, except.....

RAMbler134September 16, 2021 07:57AM

nicecatchellard78September 16, 2021 07:57AM

RFL91September 16, 2021 08:13AM

JYB76September 17, 2021 05:12AM

I was over the top the way he climbed the pocket to make the throw

RockRam189September 17, 2021 05:30AM

RFL142September 16, 2021 08:03AM

My Top Play