Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford - September 15, 20210

September 15, 2021 04:33PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford - September 15, 2021

Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford

Head Coach Sean McVay
(On if there’s an update about where DL Sebastian Joseph-Day is at in his recovery)
“He’s the same as. We’ll be smart with him today, but he's making good progress.”

(On if anyone is going to be on the injury report or have a rest day)
“(OL Andrew) Whitworth will have his typical rest day. (DL) Aaron (Donald) will be a limited participant today just because of the veteran stuff. He'll go through individuals. That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now.”

(On what he’s seeing from OL Andrew Whitworth)
“(I) thought he played really well. He did a good job. He was really productive, both in the run and in the pass phases. His leadership and his ability to bring people with him really stands out. He’s impressive. It's incredible to see him continue to play at the level that he's playing at, but he loves football. (He) loves, really, pouring into his teammates and he's having a lot of fun and that's when he's at his best.

(On if he can tell that Whitworth is turning 40 this year and if he’s showing signs of slowing down)
“No, he doesn't. He’s got great wisdom as if he's 40 years-old, but his athleticism, his youthful enjoyment for the game still shows up day in and day out. He’s great to be around.”

(On what can get out of control during the Colts game)
“These guys are really tough. They've got a really physical offensive line. They've got great skill players and they can really do a lot of different things that can put a lot of pressure on you. (Colts Head) Coach (Frank) Reich does an excellent job. And (Colts Qcool smiley Carson’s (Wentz) success and ability to make plays on schedule, off schedule is well-documented. I think they've got two really good runners in (Colts RB Jonathan) Taylor and (Colts RB Nyheim) Hines that can really pose different challenges on you. But there’s a reason why they are a playoff team, why they've done so well since Coach Reich's taken over and they got great players and their really tough scheme.”

(On is it’s fair to say that they have to be better at stopping the run)
“That's something that we want to be able to do a better job with and taking guys down on first contact. Like I said, I thought Chicago did a nice job. You've got to give them credit. But our standards, and the way that our guys expect to play, we know that it's going to be a focal point, a point of emphasis and I expect to see improvement in that area from our guys.”

(On if it was not taking guys done or scheme when breaking down the film)
“You know what, I think in some instances it's usually the tackling and some of the yards after contact always comes down to the fundamentals. And like I mentioned, I think there's definitely some blame on me as far as our guys haven't gotten a lot of that full-speed work. It's hard to simulate that. I think some of that might be a result of not playing in the preseason. But taking good angles, making sure you understand where your leverage is, where your help is and being able to instinctually be able to react in those split seconds. That's the difference between a two-yard run or a possible 24-yard run. So, there’s a lot of different things that play into that. Overall, I think we can play better and kind of have an anticipation and an expectation of what type of schemes to expect based on what personnel grouping we're in.”

(On how he can tell if a star player has the personality or character to thrive in this sort of atmosphere)
“I think the first way that I would answer that question, is you want guys that are great football players and athletes that then become a celebrity as a result of being a good football player. Guys that keep the main thing, the main thing, you've heard us say before. You want to be able to enjoy and live your life and some of the nice things that come with the platform that this unbelievable opportunity provides for our guys. To be able to have a city that there's so many things going on. There's a lot of other successful organizations doing their thing. And by the way, it happens to be that our quarterback is friends, they go way back, one of the best pitchers in the MLB as well. So, I think it's a really unique thing. That's part of the onboarding process too. We've got the right kind of leaders. That football is really important. They understand how to be a pro on and off the field and the responsibilities that come with that. It’s not something you necessarily have to think too much about. It's more about the person. And I feel really good about (Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford) and a lot of other leaders that are kind of in his same shoes.”

(On the pressures and expectations that come with being a leader on the team that’s expected to be as good as the Lakers and Dodgers)
“Those expectations, there's an outside-in narrative and there's an inside-out narrative. You always want to perform to the best of your ability, but I like our guys being inside-out, not necessarily worrying about some of the external distractions that can deter from your ability to focus on being totally and completely present. Matthew is certainly one of those guys, as I feel with really our team. I like the makeup of this team. I like their ability to come in and get their work in, but also be able to enjoy themselves. I think that's a recipe for success for us, but we've got to consistently do it. Now it's time to move on to a very difficult Colts team and that’s where our focus and concentration is, and I know Matthew’s as well.”

(On why WR Cooper Kupp was out receiving punts)
“It was a safe situation. There wasn't a return possibility for us right there. So that was what resulted in him being back there.”

(On if there is anything he wants QB Matthew Stafford to do better)
“I think overall I want to see us be better on the third downs. We had success in the first half, and we had minimal plays, but we also did have that three-and-out sequence. We were 0-4 on the third downs, some of which definitely could have been helped by better play calls by me. But I think the position is so difficult, snap in and snap out. You want to just consistently be able to do things the right way, whether that's the timing, the accuracy, the decision-making, the base-body balance and body position that you're putting yourself in to make some of these throws and then being able to clean things up above the neck, but he did a really good job. There's always going to be things that you can improve on, but it kind of depends on what phase of our offense are we talking about. There's always room for improvement. It was definitely a good, clean start, but I think he'd be the first to tell you that, ‘Hey, did a lot of really good things, which was definitely represented in some of the success we had all offensively, but can do some things better as well.’”

(On the inside-out versus the outside-in perspective)
“I think that comes from focusing on the people that are here, that are in the know. Understanding what we need to do to play, to give ourselves a chance, to have our process in alignment with letting the results take care of themselves and not letting those distractions. That’s a lot of times coaches and players. You’re saying, ‘Hey, you understand that there are external expectations and things like that, but that shouldn't affect our ability to approach the way we prepare Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday to try to play to the best of our ability on Sundays.’ So, that's kind of how I would look at that.”

(On where he got that phrase from)
“Everything that you hear me say is from something else, whether I'm reading it or (not). I think the first guy that comes to mind, I read John Gordon who's a good friend of mine, who's an author. He's written The Energy Bus and a lot of other great books that I've read. He's come and spoken to our team before. I’ve heard him say that. I don't know if it exactly came from him but being inside-out as opposed to outside-in, that's John Gordon who I had heard that from.”

(On if WR TuTu Atwell will be returning punts in the future)
“(WR) TuTu (Atwell) will be our punt returner. He's a guy that, in a normal circumstance and situation, you can expect to see him back there. Just with so many limited opportunities and because of the particular situation alluded to (earlier), that was why Cooper was back there.”

QB Matthew Stafford
(On the reception he got from Dodgers fans)
“A good one. It was fun. It was cool to go see (Los Angeles Dodgers Pitcher) Clayton (Kershaw) do his thing. It was good to see him back out there. I know he's been battling some stuff to get back out there and play. I know we had fun doing that, so I was proud of him. (He) played great.”
(On if it’s different coming to a town where all the teams win championships and are expected to do so)
“We were trying to win them too when I was in Detroit. The Tigers were pretty damn good when I first got there. The Redwings are pretty good. Pistons were rebuilding a little bit, but I understand what you're asking me. No different to me. I'm just going out there trying to execute as best I can.”

(On comparing the pressure he faced as a first round draft pick to live game action)
“I think the best way to do it for everybody is just to try to handle their job, play their responsibility as best they can. I'm going to try to do that week in and week out, day in and day out. I think that's the best way to handle that kind of stuff is just to do your job as best you can.”

(On if he has seen Kershaw pitch live a lot)
“Not many. I've watched him live a bunch of times as a kid from behind the plate. That was a lot of fun, but I haven't seen him throw live a bunch. He looked good to me. I know a couple of months off it's tough to kind of knock the rust off, but he did a nice job.”

(On what he would like to do better in Week 2)
“Kind of hard to articulate it. There were just some plays in the game that I wish I was a little bit better on, wish I was a little bit more calmer in the pocket on a few where I could've just kept progressing and getting to get into a different guy and just finding the completion. I think there were a couple that didn't get completed that I think I could have and obviously continue to just try and hit the open guys when they're open.”

(On what it means to get NFC Offensive Player of the Week)
“It's a nice thing, but it's one week. It's one game – played plenty of good games in my career, played plenty of bad ones. Just trying to make sure I play a bunch of good ones in a row and it's nice to have, but at the same time, I'm off of that and working on (Indianapolis) Indy (Colts).”

(On what it meant to him that CB Jalen Ramsey ran from the sideline to celebrate with him after throwing a touchdown pass to WR Van Jefferson)
“That was cool. I thought he was having a lot of fun. It was fun to see those guys get as excited as they were getting. It felt good just to have a big play in the game. They had a great momentum play with the pick by (Ccool smiley David Long (Jr.), and we wanted to make sure we capitalize on that and being able to do that three plays later, keep that momentum going, and get the crowd into it early was a lot of fun. Being able to celebrate with a guy like that is a lot of fun too.”

(On if there is any extra attention given to celebrations when watching film)
“Not too much. Sometimes, we'll keep it running if guys are having good celebrations. (WR) Robert’s (Woods) was great coming and putting the ball right down where he knew he put his feet in. That was pretty cool. I think for the most part, we're watching the plays to try to see how we can be better and all that kind of stuff. But every once in a while, there's a fun one that we peek at.”

(On if the synergy that the offense has is a product of the extra time he put in)
“Yeah, I think that and just trusting he's a veteran player who knows where he needs to get. He did a great job battling through contacts. That’s a tough one. The way they played, it was pretty darn good from their point – being able to have the corner fall off on (WR) Cooper (Kupp) and then really just exchange it and his defender now took Robert. Robert did a great job battling through and was able to kind of step up and stay front side and find him. Obviously, it was a great catch. It was one of those where we're up a couple of scores. Make sure nothing is low in the end zone so nobody can get a hand on it. Probably a little higher than I wanted it, to be honest but he went up and got it, which was great.”

(On how he felt about his first game as a Ram tonight)
“It was awesome. You know, it was a complete team win. Obviously, our defense did a great job getting the ball back for us three or four times it felt like. Great job on fourth down a couple times turning the ball over. As an offense, it was tough kind of to get into a rhythm the first half. We only had four possessions, but we were explosive on some of those and made some big plays. You know, Sean (McVay) dialed it up great and our guys went out and executed. A lot to learn. Some good to take away from it and keep building on it. Obviously, some plays we'd love to have back like every single game.”

(On breaking down the first couple explosive plays)
“You know, just a play action on the first one to Van (Jefferson). He did a great job of getting behind the defense. Our guys up front did a great job on that one. I had all day. And I was able to shoot that one down to the field to him. He did a great job getting up and scoring which is always fun. And then the second one to Cooper (Kupp), that was a great call by Sean (McVay). Perfect coverage for the play. Our guys up front again gave me a bunch of time. It takes time for guys to get down the field. Cooper (Kupp) did a great job, again, just getting behind the defense and I was able to get it out there to a decent spot for him.”

(On the chemistry with teammates and being able to get different guys the ball)
“Yeah, that's when we're going to be at our best, when everyone gets involved in the game. I'm not sure how many different guys had catches, but it felt like a bunch. You know, those guys are talented playmakers. I'll do it a different way. So I'm trying to do everything I can to make sure those guys are able to show their abilities and go out there and play.”

(On how he picked this sweater for tonight)
“Kelly (Stafford) told me to wear it, so I'm wearing it.”

(On how it felt to finally get out on the field)
“A lot of anticipation for this game. You know, for me, it's a new experience for me. A new place, new stadium, new fans. The whole deal. But this team has embraced me and I really appreciate that. I've done everything I can to try to just work as hard as I can and get myself in this team. And they wrapped their arms around me and it felt good to go out there and play with them tonight. Such incredible players on this team. I'm lucky to be a part of it. I want to do everything I can to try and lead this team. It's where we want to go. Obviously, this is just one. Gotta keep building on this. But it felt great to get out there and go play.”

(On if it was difficult to adjust to a new offensive system and a new team)
“No, it's tough. It's a lot of work. It’s a lot of work for me and a lot of work for everybody. Sean’s (McVay) put in a ton of hours with me. Kevin O'Connell has put in a ton of hours with me. Our offense has put in a ton of hours just trying to bring me up to speed. I'm the new guy in a system where everyone kind of knows what's going on. So I just appreciate all the hard work and the patience they've had with me to get me to this point. And I'm trying to go out there and grasp it and lead us in the right direction.

(On if he felt comfortable tonight)
“Yeah, I mean, once the ball is snapped it's football. There's new plays in a new stadium, throwing to guys in a different uniform. But I'm happy where I'm at and I'm pleased with how it went tonight.”
(On if we are gaining confidence in the redzone early in the season)
“Yeah, obviously, we didn't come away with the points there, and didn’t come up with the touchdown on one. I felt like we should have. That was on me. I wish I could have given Robert (Woods) a better ball, the second or third drive, whichever one it was. But, yeah, Cooper (Kupp) didn't score on the one.
And then it was great to see the guys upfront just push the line of scrimmage and let (Darrell) Henderson walk in. I thought it was great on that play. I thought it was great late in the fourth quarter, just being able to run the clock out. I mean we were running the ball. Cooper (Kupp) had a huge third down and 13 conversion on just a bubble behind the line of scrimmage and our guys outside blocked for him.
So it's fun to be a part of those drives where you're winning the game andyou're able to put kind of put the finishing touches on it.”

(On his emotions after his first touchdown throw)
“I was feeling good. You know, that's a pretty good start. So, I was happy for our team, happy for Van (Jefferson). He's had a great offseason, a great lead up to the season. And to catch it, fall down, get back up and get in the end zone, that's a huge play, a huge momentum thing. And especially right after our defense got us a turnover and got us the ball back. A big play after big play is a lot of fun to be a part of. I don't know, man, I was jacked up and having fun out there.”

(On if he saw Cooper Kupp get into the endzone after he was knocked down on the touchdown throw)
“No, I mean I got hit a little bit late. I didn't know there was a penalty until 10 minutes later. But I got hit and kind of rolled over, tried to get up as fast as I could to see if it was a good one and then I saw him trotting in the end zone. I figured it was in a good spot but didn't get to see it all the way. It seemed like it was a good one.”

(On Jalen Ramsey being one of the first teammates around him after the touchdown throw)
“Yeah, I noticed it. It was awesome. You know, he's a great teammate. He's a guy that pushes me and pushes our entire receiving core. Everybody's he's guarding, that's as good as a match up you're going to get in this league and we get to see every single day. I tell those guys all the time, this is as good a practice I've ever been a part of. We've got extremely talented guys on both sides of the ball.
It’s a lot of fun to go out there and compete. At the end of the day, if we get the best of them one day, they’re going ‘Man, they’re on our team.’ And if they get the best of us one day, we’re going, ‘Shoot, I love having that defense on our team.’ So it was cool for him to be out there celebrating with me. I was having fun. He seemed like he was having a good time too.”

(On if he got a game ball and what that means to him)
“I did. It's awesome. It means a lot. I was in a place for a long time. Getting to a new place and being able to come out, you know, week one, night one, and get a win and play the way we did, it feels good. A lot of work to be done. But it's definitely a good start. Thank you, guys.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford - September 15, 20210

Shaky291September 15, 2021 04:33PM