Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sean McVay makes it clear Tutu Atwell will be Rams' punt returner

September 15, 2021 12:20PM
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva
September 15, 2021 1:32 pm PT

It’s hard to believe that the Chicago Bears only punted one time in their 34-14 loss to the Los Angeles Rams, but that’s the result of multiple failed fourth-down conversions and two turnovers. What’s even more surprising is that Cooper Kupp was the player Sean McVay sent back to field the punt, not Tutu Atwell.

Kupp has returned punts in the past, but with Atwell on the roster, fans expected the rookie to be the punt returner. It turns out he will be.

McVay told reporters before practice Wednesday that Atwell will be the team’s punt returner, and Kupp was only back there because it was a fair catch situation with no chance of a return.

“Tutu will be our punt returner. He’s a guy that in a normal circumstance and situation, you can expect to see him back there. There just was so many limited opportunities and because of the particular situation, that was why Cooper was back there,” he said.

“It was a safe situation. There wasn’t a return possibility for us right there so that’s what resulted in him being back there.”

The Rams have used Kupp in this exact situation before, knowing he has good hands and will make sound decisions about whether to field a punt or let it go over his head for a touchback.

McVay’s trust in Atwell should grow as he gets more reps in this role, but we could see Kupp continue to be used as a fair catch punt returner in the meantime.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Tutu Will Return Punts

Classicalwit374September 15, 2021 11:49AM

I wonder how many TD's he'll get - One or Tu?

RinconRam240September 15, 2021 11:54AM

Re: I wonder how many TD's he'll get - One or Tu?

oldschoolramfan184September 15, 2021 12:03PM

That is TUUUUUUU funny!!!! nm

Ramgator182September 16, 2021 04:22AM

If Tu had a twin Brother, would it be Tu X Tu ????????? nm

Ramgator70September 16, 2021 04:23AM

OK, I'll stop before you guys think I am.........TU much!!!!! nm

Ramgator59September 16, 2021 04:24AM

BerendsenRam159September 15, 2021 12:20PM

Re: Sean McVay makes it clear Tutu Atwell will be Rams' punt returner

Ramsdude123September 15, 2021 12:48PM

Again, I don't think this reflects on Tutu's hands...

JamesJM84September 15, 2021 03:26PM

If it's not a knock on his hands...

Ramsdude117September 16, 2021 04:40AM