Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Did LA Rams miff adding OLB Melvin Ingram to D?

July 23, 2021 04:18PM
I didn't think much about the recent signing of Melvin Ingram by the Steeler until I ran into this piece about hoping the LA Rams didn't fall asleep at the wheel or, worse yet, did fall asleep and the failure to add Ingram may haunt them later...

"Well, with the recent announcement of his signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers, we have an opportunity to ask: Will passing on Melvin Ingram come back to haunt the Rams later? What did he sign for with the Steelers anyways? One year for $4 million, a prove-it deal.
That’s a pretty good number for a guy who put up 24.5 sacks in the three seasons prior to injuring his knee twice during the 2020 season. For the LA Rams, it took a lot of resolve to resist that level of talent for a one-year deal. Let’s discuss why:

Assuming that Melvin Ingram was fully healthy and was able to start at outside linebacker for the LA Rams, that solves a pretty significant question for the team in who would start opposite Leonard Floyd. With Ingram’s obvious ability to get after the quarterback already, imagine having him on the same defensive front with Aaron Donald? 12+ sacks would certainly be in the scope of possibilities.

Now let’s talk about a one-year deal at $4 million. That would replace the low man on the totem pole- WR Trishton Jackson – on the 51-man cap calculation. Since Jackson was already nearly at $800k, the additional salary cap hit for Ingram would actually be just $3.2 million added dollars.

Oh, but there’s more.

Let’s follow this one through. Ingram plays for one year and then, with his career rejuvenated with a 12 sack season, lands a lucrative edge rusher deal that happens all the time in the NFL. The LA Rams would likely be in the mix to be awarded either a third or fourth-round compensatory pick in the 2023 NFL Draft...."

I'm not warm and fuzzy about the team's OLB situtation. Did the Rams miss a great chance to add a solid veteran who could be elite by lining up next to Aaron Donald?

[ramblinfan.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Did LA Rams miff adding OLB Melvin Ingram to D?

HornsUpRamily!428July 23, 2021 04:18PM

I Wouldn't Have Minded Ingram For $4M, But...

ramBRO220July 23, 2021 04:49PM

Yep, have been pulling for hiim since he was let go....

roman18141July 24, 2021 03:36AM

Re: Did LA Rams miff adding OLB Melvin Ingram to D?

Classicalwit160July 23, 2021 07:29PM

Ramsdude102July 24, 2021 01:30PM

oldmanram178July 24, 2021 03:09PM