June 10, 2021 01:42PM
BerendsenRam
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Here it is...

Zac Taylor highlights two similarities between Cooper Kupp and Ja'Marr Chase

Cameron DaSilva
June 10, 2021 2:31 pm PT

Bengals coach Zac Taylor spent two years with the Los Angeles Rams on Sean McVay’s staff in 2017 and 2018, first as an assistant wide receivers coach and then as the quarterbacks coach. He worked closely with Cooper Kupp during his time in L.A. and now he’ll get to coach Ja’Marr Chase, the star rookie out of LSU who was the first receiver drafted this year.

On the “Flying Coach” podcast with Sean McVay and Peter Schrager, Taylor interestingly drew a couple comparisons between Kupp and Chase, which wasn’t necessarily expected given their different playing styles and athletic profiles.

“Playmaker is the first word you use,” he said of Chase. “And it’s not just outside as an X-receiver down the field making 50-50 contested plays. This guy’s got a great understanding of the nuances of route running. He’s patient. He’s got really strong hands. His lower body is similar to a running back. I mean, he’s six feet, 207. Similar to Cooper Kupp in the sense that he’s got unbelievable body control. He’s running full speed but when he judges where the ball is at, he can shut his body down and have that great control to have that great run after the catch to maximize it. Oh yeah, and is hard to bring down on first contact just like Cooper. He usually makes that first guy miss or pulls through the tackle and then he’s got the top-end speed.”

Kupp doesn’t have great speed and isn’t the most explosive athlete, but he does have great body control, strong hands and is excellent after the catch, as Taylor mentioned. Kupp finished sixth in the NFL last season with 525 yards after the catch, showing his elusiveness.

Chase could go on to win Rookie of the Year, but Kupp is a great player in his own right and each player should be flattered by these comparisons from Taylor.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Zac Taylor highlights two similarities between Cooper Kupp and Ja'Marr Chase

BerendsenRam191June 10, 2021 01:30PM

Re: Zac Taylor highlights two similarities between Cooper Kupp and Ja'Marr Chase

Ramsdude142June 10, 2021 01:42PM