Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First look at 2021 Rams 90-man roster

May 07, 2021 02:21PM

L.A. still needs to figure out who will be Week 1 starting center

ERIC D. WILLIAMS

I count 86 currently on the roster for the Los Angeles Rams as it stands now. The Rams could add four more, and of course they can sign other players until the team’s draft picks are signed closer to training camp.

So, like every season, the roster remains fluid. But for now, here’s a first look at where the Rams stand with the roster this offseason.

QB (4): Starter -- Matthew Stafford. Reserves -- John Wolford, Bryce Perkins, Devlin Hodges.

Stafford is a talent upgrade over Goff. Stafford has averaged just eight interceptions a season over his 12-year career; should do a better job of taking care of the football and creating explosive plays. Only Jameis Winston (70) has more turnovers than Goff (65) since 2017.

RB (5): Starter -- Cam Akers. Reserves -- Darrell Henderson Jr., Xavier Jones, Ray Calais, Jake Funk.

Akers is expected to take on a larger role in the offense after an impressive, second half of his rookie season. With Stafford in the fold, Akers should have a bigger role in the passing offense catching the ball out of the backfield. “Cam has done such a great job of really just continuing to become a big part and in some instances, the focal part of the offense,” McVay said. “You can definitely build on that. I think you want to pick and choose your spots, but like I said, I think this guy has got an incredibly bright future. The more that the ball is in his hands -- usually good things happen.”

WR (11): Starters -- Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, DeSean Jackson. Reserves -- Van Jefferson, Tutu Atwell, Trishton Jackson, Nsimba Webster, J.J. Koski, Ben Skowronek, Landen Akers, Jeremiah Haydel.

The Rams have one of the best receiver duos in the NFL in Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods. DeSean Jackson and third-round selection Tutu Atwell give the Rams vertical speed down the field and explosive playmakers on jet sweeps and the screen game. Van Jefferson is expected to take a jump in development in his second season.

TE (5): Starter -- Tyler Higbee. Reserves -- Johnny Mundt, Brycen Hopkins, Kendall Blanton, Jacob Harris.

With a complete tight end like Tyler Higbee, Stafford should have no problem creating plays down the field. Jacob Harris has a chance to replace the production lost with pass-catching tight end Gerald Everett signing with the Seattle Seahawks in free agency.

OL (13): Starters -- (LT) Andrew Whitworth, (LG) David Edwards, C Brian Allen,(RG) Austin Corbett, (RT) Rob Havenstein. Reserves -- Tremayne Anchrum (G), Chandler Brewer (G), Jamil Demby (G), Bobby Evans (T), Joe Noteboom (G/T), Coleman Shelton (C/G), Alaric Jackson, Jordan Meredith (G), Max Pircher (T).

The Rams surprisingly did not take an offensive lineman in this year’s draft, even though it appeared to be a need, with starting center Austin Blythe signing with the Kansas City Chiefs in free agency. However, McVay said he already likes the talent on this year’s roster, with 10 of the 11 offensive linemen seeing meaningful playing time over the past two seasons. The Rams also get offensive lineman Chandler Brewer back, who opted out of last season due to his history with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Allen has the most NFL experience at center, but Coleman Shelton and Austin Corbett could get opportunities there as well. “Austin Corbett is a guy that started at the left guard, the right guard,” McVay said. “I have no doubt that if he tried his hand at center, that he could really excel there as well.”

Full Article
[www.si.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill405May 07, 2021 02:21PM

Actually 87

CROMWELL21201May 07, 2021 05:37PM