Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blinkscout Draft analysis ...

May 05, 2021 04:33PM
Lipstick on a pig.

The good thing about knowing your coach got his guys for the changes he wants to make is that whatever vision he has can come to fruition (in theory). The bad news is that you can end up missing out on talent that could help the team.
As far as value, I think if you are allowing for the fact that we don't have a first round talent, we may have had the worst draft of all 32 teams.

I almost just gave up on writing this, because I obviously was not on the same page as the brain trust.

2) Tutu Atwell
Has rare speed, and is faster on the football field than his 4.35 40 would suggest. He excels against man coverage. That's a good sign that he's not Tavon Austin. He has a chip on his shoulders. He held up okay in the ACC.
I trust McVay when he says that he had intel he'd be taken in the early 60s. So you have to take him at 57.
So if the offense hinges on this puzzle piece, then it does, and you have to take him here.
Bad news? I had him as a 4th round prospect at best. He's never going to be a blocker so you lose a pair of hands when he's in the game. He held up in the ACC, but the NFL is faster and we know what his weight is. He's our 5th WR. And he's not a returner. 4 attempts in his career at punt returning.

So I hated the pick. Especially with who was on the board ... but if this is McVay's "need" pick I'll happily give him that mulligan on value. We need coach firing on all cylinders.

Trading from 88 when Meinerz was on the board hurt. My assumption is that they thought they could get him at 103 ... thus making the Ernest Jones pick as a fall back ... as the value there was low too.

3) Ernest Jones ... I don't dislike the player. I had about 10 guys still available I had rated higher. Jabril Cox must have bombed the interviews.
Jones can thump, and my guess is his football IQ puts him in the green dot sooner rather than later. In this case Im guessing they drafted his mind and attitude. They know what they like at ILB.
Positive physical is his burst numbers ... he can fight off an OG.
I had him as a 5th rounder though.

After those two they started drafting overall talent rather than need (yes, again, this is my assumption after seeing the difference in the picks)

4) Bobby Brown 3 ... Had him as a second round value. Watched his entire career. He's a beast and I was shocked he lasted until the 4th. Good burst, gets into guys fast ... and his speed and physicality gives him upside. He's also always been the guy drawing extra blockers ... he'll have less of that. And he held up well against SEC O lines.
Don't have any negatives on this one, I smiled for the first time during the draft after the pick.

4-2) Rochell ... This is an upside pick. Kid has ball skills and speed, but is going to need a redshirt. His burst numbers were nuts and he's got some length to him. I had him in my top 100 so this is value.

4-3) Jacob Harris. Upside pick ... and likely a position change. Special Teams ace, so now we're switching to addressing that (again, assumption). You can't coach the athleticism he has. 4.39 40 at 229 and 6-5 is wild, but a 6.54 3 cone is unbelievable.If I'm not mistaken that's not only the best number in the class, but in the top 10 ever. So ... let's say over the next year or two you put 15 pounds on him. Teach him to block. Then you can have a 6-5 245 TE that's likely still running under a 4.5 that has ridiculous agility. That's a Waller style player. Waller took over like 4 games last year. They couldn't cover him. So spending a pick at a chance to build one of those is worth it.

5) Earnest Brown 4. Not a fan. There was talent on the board here at edge and RB ... as well as some Interior O line. I kept hearing how our squaddie players were making a jump this year and could fill for Fox. So ... guess not? I honestly didn't and don't think this guy can make an NFL roster at his talent level. And if he could, it would have been on a 4-3 team.

7) Jake Funk ... I liked this pick. This guy is a special teams pick obviously, but he runs well. He's a 4.43 guy and 22 rep guy. 38 inch vert guy. He's tough as nails. Blew his knee out twice and got himself back. He's not a full career guy, at some point his body will give out, but you can get some good late game runs out of him ... my guess is that he'll break down before his rookie contract is up, but he'll be a fun underdog to root for.

7) Ben Skowronek. I didn't have him as capable of making a team unless there were injuries. So he'll be fighting to be the 6th? 7th? WR? My guess is he'll be on the practice squad. Again, there was talent on the board so it's frustrating.

7) Chris Garrett ... Don't have an issue here. Late round take a flier on an edge guy with monster production from D2. Biggest stat for me was 15 forced fumbles. Can't get to that number just with hits, that's technique and focus and instinct working together. Highlights have him with a really crazy first step and a stunning ability to change direction mid rush. Put 10 lbs on him and get him used to the speed and he could be a situational rusher.

UDFA) Alaric Jackson ... again I followed his whole career and going from a freshman AA to undrafted even though you're playing at the best Oline school (not now, Wisconsin) for training players? Disappointing. So we'll see if he can get himself where he needs to be.

UDFA) Meredith the OC ... could legitimately compete after a redshirt year. It's hard to say how good he was playing for WKY, but he aced the grades and looked the part.

UDFA) Troy Werner S ... This kid can play. Gives our safety room the depth I like.

So what I'm seeing is that McVay is trusting Stafford's good numbers under pressure, and his arm talent to make up for some question marks on the O line and he's expecting to outscore people and play opportunistic defense rather than playing strength. Good for our fantasy football value, I guess.

This was the first draft in many years that put us in a position to have a hole at a pivotal position. OT. Puts us in a bind to have to pay Noteboom.

Okay, got that over with.

Questions and comments welcome.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout Draft analysis ...

alyoshamucci1500May 05, 2021 04:33PM

Re: Blinkscout Draft analysis ...

zn512May 05, 2021 05:19PM

Rams43688May 05, 2021 05:20PM

Thanks 43

alyoshamucci445May 05, 2021 05:32PM

thanks for analysis

21Dog470May 06, 2021 05:00AM

thank you

LMU93373May 06, 2021 05:16AM

Re: thank you

leafnose239May 12, 2021 04:48AM

Re: Let's not forget about out #1 pick...Matthew Stafford.

oldschoolramfan551May 06, 2021 06:11AM

CraigMatson494May 06, 2021 06:13AM

oldschoolramfan251May 06, 2021 10:04AM

We shouldn't forget where Fox came from

promomasterj345May 11, 2021 11:22AM

CraigMatson263May 06, 2021 06:22AM

Nailed it

Deadpool299May 06, 2021 09:41AM

Re: E Jones' transition to Starter ?