Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Player cuts may be more in number, and the $ consequences severe

February 20, 2021 03:28AM
Several of us here have predicted that there will be more veteran players cut, less FA movement, less big dollar contracts offered, and this because the pot of money is far smaller than teams had anticipated and planned for pre-Covid.

The cuts are coming already, and I suspect as each team now knows that the cap number is going to be about $180 million they will make some cuts that surprise and anger those cut..... because they didn't see it coming. Guys that are under-performing their contracts, or older vets with a younger cheaper guy behind him, or simply guys that are no longer affordable are going to be let go.

My point is that the market is, by NFL terms, likely to be flooded with players looking for work. So there's going to be some guys picked up at bargain prices; and when that happens they of course will have a wish list of where they'd like to go. The Rams have become a "destination" team.

But I also think that some players are going to be willing to have their contracts reworked to take somewhat less money, because they know if they're cut they are going to be thrown into a very uncertain market that has great risks for them.

I can think of a couple of players on the Rams that fall into that category. Brockers..... take less or be cut. Havenstine..... take less or be cut or traded. Higbee, I think, is on the bubble in that regard.

Further, the Rams are going to be looking for an immediate starter with their first pick at 57. So when we think of positions where a 1st year player can probably be used based on their roster, it is WR, Edge Rusher, or Center. And of those 3, I would imagine that WR and Center will be the positions available at 57 that can step right in. Edge Rushers more and more are like QBs; they're taken early and often so it's hard to imagine then taking one there that can contribute very much their first year.

Since Snead has been open that when they stack their board players are generally put into clusters so that when their turn roles around, they look within their cluster to see who is still there. So I suspect in that 57th pick cluster it will be between Center and WR (a deep speedy one that might double as a return guy).

No doubt some of this will have to do with who they lose, and who they have been able to pick up on the FA market. It is not imaginable to me that the Rams can pick up Marvin Jones; they just won't be able to dedicate the money it is going to take. But, they might be able to pick up a Deshaun Jackson, an AJ Green, or some other soon to come cut for a couple of million on a one year deal, or a little more on a 2 year deal that pushes much of the money into the 2nd year.

Some think they'll look at CB in the 2nd round. I doubt it. Even if they lose Hill they are going to retain D. Williams or get at least a 2nd rounder or (as I suspect) they'll place a 1st round tender on the guy. And relying on a rookie CB is very dicey no matter how good they are coming out.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Player cuts may be more in number, and the $ consequences severe

RockRam581February 20, 2021 03:28AM

Re: Player cuts may be more in number, and the $ consequences severe

oldmanram239February 20, 2021 04:28AM

Rams43193February 20, 2021 06:44AM

The_Zone184February 20, 2021 09:55AM