Re: Not sure it really adds up...

January 31, 2021 06:19PM
Suh-weet!
Atlantic Ram
Suh-weet!
Peter Schrager
@PSchrags
8h
I’ve spoken to multiple teams this morning who made calls TO the Rams in regards to Goff, too. This wasn’t some throw-in. The Lions wanted him. He had a market. Around NFL, Goff is regarded well. 25, multiple playoff wins, beat Brees and Wilson in their buildings in postseason.

Jeff Darlington
@JeffDarlington
Just talked to Jared Goff — he has already spoken to Lions coach Dan Campbell and several other members of the Lions’ staff. Based on those conversations, they very clearly view him as their starter moving forward. Physical coming soon. Sounds like they’re fired up to have him.
12:06 AM · Jan 31, 2021·Echofon

Teams might have been interested to see if the Rams could rework the contract to make a trade possible. I don’t doubt there was a market for Goff but not his salary. He wasn’t a throw-in but the Rams paid the Lions to take his salary. I am sure the Lions aren’t going to say they’re disappointed.

McVay, in particular, and Snead did themselves and their trade position ZERO favors by publicly burning bridges with Goff. Forget basic decency and the "we, not me" rubbish. Trumpeting your wish to get rid of Goff at all cost is just Bargaining-101-stupidity.

A lot of people on this board like to highlight Goff's flaws by comparison to future HOF'ers like Rodgers, Mahomes, Brees, etc. Obviously, he hasn't been that, especially these last two seasons. Butt the truth is that, however low one's personal opinion of Goff, there's going to be a real market for a durable (so far) 26 year-old QB w/TWO Pro Bowls on his resume. Anyone who's certain Jared Goff can't/won't again be a very good QB has a very limited imagination. More to the point, all McVay's very public frustration and spite did was encourage would-be suitors to squeeze the Rams for all they could get. And they did. Didn't have to be this way.

So here we are. We'll see how it works out for everybody.

I don’t disagree that it wasn’t a pretty divorce. I contend there was something else going on... but even so, the Rams took the low road. I don’t think it would have made much if any difference in the trade cost however. Do other teams pay attention to press conferences over actually talking directly to the GM?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

NFL Network: Currently Covering Trade; Great Comments

Ram49546January 31, 2021 01:27PM

Re: NFL Network: Currently Covering Trade; Great Comments

BumRap340January 31, 2021 01:35PM

exactly, board thinks its a McVay vs. Goff thing

Ram49176January 31, 2021 01:51PM

Re: NFL Network: Currently Covering Trade; Great Comments

BearlyThere273January 31, 2021 01:53PM

So your suggesting that

PHDram130January 31, 2021 04:57PM

Re: So your suggesting that