Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

McVay: ‘Floyd was one of most complete edge players in NFL last year’...

January 22, 2021 03:25PM
Sean McVay: Leonard Floyd was 'one of the more complete edge players' in the NFL this year

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Leonard Floyd earned a nice chunk of change from the Los Angeles Rams this season after signing a one-year deal last offseason. He brought in $10 million as a base salary and added $3.25 million in incentives, including a 10-sack bonus that netted him $1.25 million alone.

But as much as Floyd made this season, he’s going to earn a whole lot more in March.

With a career year in 2020, Floyd ensured that he’s going to get paid by someone this offseason when he hits free agency – whether it’s the Rams or someone else. Floyd recorded 10.5 sacks, 11 tackles for loss and 19 QB hits, all of which are new career-highs for the 28-year-old edge rusher.

Like Dante Fowler Jr., Floyd reaped the benefits of playing with Aaron Donald for a short time. And like Fowler did with his $45 million deal, Floyd will almost certainly earn a similar contract this offseason.

Sean McVay came away extremely impressed by what he saw from Floyd this season and called him one of the most complete edge rushers in the NFL.

“We talk a lot about Leonard – the versatility, the relentless passion and really persistence that he played with, ability to affect the quarterback, ability to stop the run,” McVay said in his end-of-season press conference. “I think he was one of the more complete edge players in this league. Brandon had an experience with him in Chicago that made him feel really comfortable and confident. I felt comfortable (from) going against him and I thought you saw his best this year.”

Keeping Floyd around will be a challenge for the Rams. If the salary cap drops to $175 million, the Rams will be $26.6 million over the cap. That means they’d have to clear a lot of space just to get under the league limit before even thinking about signing free agents.

Considering what Fowler got from the Falcons last offseason, it’s reasonable to think Floyd will earn a similar contract – depending on how the league is impacted financially by the pandemic. There’s no possible way the Rams will be able to afford $15 million per year for Floyd unless they get creative by giving him a long-term deal and pushing most of the money to later years.

Assuming Floyd leaves, the Rams will once again be left searching for a starting edge rusher, which are by no means easy to find.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

McVay: ‘Floyd was one of most complete edge players in NFL last year’...

Rams43463January 22, 2021 03:25PM

Re: McVay: ‘Floyd was one of most complete edge players in NFL last year’...

Rams43322January 22, 2021 03:28PM

Re: McVay: ‘Floyd was one of most complete edge players in NFL last year’...

BerendsenRam229January 22, 2021 03:44PM

You are correct

NewMexicoRam211January 22, 2021 04:01PM

‘Floyd was one of most complete edge players: BS!

Anonymous User213January 22, 2021 05:39PM

Not me, I think McVay wants to keep Floyd

max195January 22, 2021 07:53PM

Re: Not me, I think McVay wants to keep Floyd

BerendsenRam309January 22, 2021 08:08PM

Not so sure it's BS.....

roman18182January 23, 2021 04:05AM

"Find a way"??? Just like that, huh?

RockRam132January 23, 2021 04:23AM

wish we had signed him to 3 year deal

headslapper184January 22, 2021 08:15PM

Re: wish we had signed him to 3 year deal